Hungry Girl

Options
bcattoes
bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
I've seen hungry girl mentioned many times on these boards. I didn't realize it was a Food Network show until just now. The stuff she made looked disgusting. rice cake with pkg tuna and salsa on it?? pkg strawberry yogurt with peaunut butter Capt Crunch and strawberries?? Beef jerky or popcorn the perfect snack. I don't get it. Not only did the majority of the stuff look disgusting but did I really need someone to tell me to eat packaged foods??

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    She annoys me.
  • mygirlbrenna
    Options
    I like SOME of her ideas. She's a little into "fake food" though. Artificial sweeteners, fake peanut butter, etc. But, her ideas for portion control, salads, etc are great.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    just sounds bad.....:noway:
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one who doesn't care for her. She uses so much packaged stuff to simulate OTHER packaged stuff. I just don't care for what she makes. It usually doesn't look too good or the portions are miniscule. I'd rather have a piece of fruit or some fresh veg than the TINY portion of home made trail mix or snack mix she makes.
  • nikkimoon1382
    nikkimoon1382 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Right?! EVERYTHING is super fake... so congrats on eating low calorie cardboard.. i'd like real food thanks.
  • Kristie18
    Kristie18 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I guess I am the oddball here. LOL! I like using her recipes.
  • Doomfrog
    Doomfrog Posts: 79
    Options
    Never seen the show, but I was gifted one of her books. I hate fake foods too.

Stuff I like that I learned from her:

Using Fiber One to bread things and make stuff like onion rings
    Tofu Sharitaki noodles

Stuff I hate:

Most of the other stuff.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I'm not crazy about her stuff because there is so much that isn't natural! Check out Gina's Skinny recipes instead. She uses a lot more natural ingredients and the stuff is pretty good for you. Plus, she takes amazing pictures!
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I have taken several of her recipes and make them healthy, but I agree, I don't need any fake food!!
  • renaegonz
    renaegonz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yep, I have to agree...if you want awesome recipes go to Gina's Skinnytaste. I have never been dissappointed, I make most of my menu from her recipes. Not a lot of prepackaged foods. Hungry Girl is great once in awhile, but man 'o man...I seen that tuna on a rice cake with salsa too. My thought was...never! If I ate like Hungry Girl I would be 'preserved ' with chemicals and additives for the next 50 years....ewwwwww!
  • lollie1285
    lollie1285 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have a love/hate relationship with Hungry Girl. Love her for introducing me to Skinny Cow, VitaTops and a few other things. Her cheesesteak lettuce wraps were awesome. I hate that she uses fake sugars, etc. Sometimes I substitute the fake stuff with normal ingredients because the recipes look cool. I'm sure it ups the calorie count but I don't care. I don't watch her show anymore though. I have her 200 Under 200 book and get her newsletter and that's fine for me. The show is kind of pointless.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I can't stand Hungry Girl. It is all processed crap in her recipes for the most part, not to mention can you say product placement on that show? Holy hell. The funniest thing was when I saw her put tomato soup on broccoli slaw and swore it tasted like pasta. Riiiiiight. Right there she lost ALL credibility with me. If you are going to eat like she does, you may as well just buy frozen packaged meals and save yourself the time of making her concoctions.

I admit I watch the show just to snark on her and mock her recipes. :bigsmile:
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    She uses so much artificial crap I can't imagine she doesn't have multiple nutrient deficiencies. It isn't food :(
  • JenFer5
    JenFer5 Posts: 25
    Options
    She has a few good tips here and there, but over all I agree its too much fake stuff. I haven't seen the show, didn't even know there was one... I heard of her from Weight Watchers and her articles on the web.
  • JenFerguson1
    JenFerguson1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, Hungry Girl is amazing! She does use a lot of processed foods but every recipe of hers that I have tried is delicious and you will NEVER find recipes with lower calories than hers. She's my life saver. I have 2 of her cook books and there are hundreds of decedent recipes with creativity. Things that i could never think of myself with so much variety! Personally, I dont mind too much eating some processed foods as long as I eat plenty of fruit, veggies, and chicken along with it!

p.s.- I have lost tons of weight using her recipes:)
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, Hungry Girl is amazing! She does use a lot of processed foods but every recipe of hers that I have tried is delicious and you will NEVER find recipes with lower calories than hers. She's my life saver. I have 2 of her cook books and there are hundreds of decedent recipes with creativity. Things that i could never think of myself with so much variety! Personally, I dont mind too much eating some processed foods as long as I eat plenty of fruit, veggies, and chicken along with it!

p.s.- I have lost tons of weight using her recipes:)

Calories are not the enemy. Your body needs calories. Your body does not need or want the chemicals, additivies, preservatives, and other junk Hungry Girl uses in her recipes.
  • JenFerguson1
    JenFerguson1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    yeah, we obviously need calories to survive and trust me, I get my fair share. I'm a girl whos all about eating big proportions with little calories. That way, I can eat a lot all day long and still meet my calorie goal. Hungry Girl helps me with that since her recipes have so little calories for larger portions.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The funniest thing was when I saw her put tomato soup on broccoli slaw and swore it tasted like pasta. Riiiiiight.

That is just crazy. Canned tomato soup is no healthier, and certainly not tastier, than canned spaghetti sauce. So, if you were going with pre-made, why wouldn't you buy the sauce?

I swear when I was watching her show I wondered if she was high. Who, other than someone suffering from the "munchies" would take strawberry flavored yogurt and mix it with Peanut Butter Capt Crunch??? And she said it tasted just like peanut butter and jelly. You know what is healthy and tastes like peanut butter and jelly. Peanut butter and (no added sugar) jelly!
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Well I personally like beef jerky and popcorn, but homemade. And I did try the cereal on yogurt we got a mixed review from the kids so I haven't bought it again. I think her stuff is good for camping. But most of the stuff is odd looking.:huh:
  • rowbseat13
    rowbseat13 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of her cookbooks, but the other posters are right about her substituting processed grossness for other processed grossness. I love her cocktail recipes and some of her other things (there's a recipe for a black bean/salsa potato that is AMAZING), but overall I think she misses the mark on "healthy."