Do you reward yourself for hitting mini goal weights?

Options

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    i bought a fitbit band >.> LOL
  • missmagnoliablossom
    missmagnoliablossom Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Sure do! Everyone is motivated differently. :)

I rarely buy myself anything "special" - so I made a list of things that I'd consider a bit of a splurge. My first reward was for an a-dorable designer lunchbox, the second for a pile of books I've been eyeing, etc. I just earned myself a facial, and my next reward is new running shoes! I did a reward for every ten pounds, and for some special milestones along the way (ONEderland, next BMI class, etc.). I've also got a big one for goal.

It really helps me stay positive, and it especially helps me turn away from my previous habit of celebrating success w/food - or alcohol, whatever. :D
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    i bought a fitbit band >.> LOL
    Atta girl!! This is the one I bought
    zlhaat41jo2u.jpg

• Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    And if so, what have you rewarded yourself with/planning to reward yourself with.
    I'm looking for inspiration outside of my usual new clothes.

Yes and now I'm up to my eyeballs in debt. I'm owed a trip to the Caymans and a new Lexus. By goal weight I'll be indentured for life.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    The confetti that pops up on this app does it for me!
  • jroy1999
    jroy1999 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You better believe it! Not food related though. I do one about every 10lbs, although my next goal is only 5lbs because it will take me into normal BMI range. Usually it's spa related, like pedicure or massage, although when I hit my ultimate goal it will be some clothes.
  • dwntwn5
    dwntwn5 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I do every 5 lbs. usually spa-related, as some others. For me, the key is that it has to be something I won't buy myself/treat myself to otherwise. So, if you'll end up caving and getting a pedicure anyway, a pedicure isn't a good reward.

My next up is Tieks. I just added this b/c I've been stalled out for awhile and also have been stalking Tieks for awhile, so it seems like time to up my reward game to get me over this hump. It's more extravagant than my other rewards have been and will be, but it's timely and motivating!

Also, a "bribe" is something that encourages bad behavior. This is not a bribe! I like to think of these rewards as a similar strategy to clearing junk food out of the house. It's a strategy that sets you up for success and is motivating.
  • bethanyka
    bethanyka Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I buy myself flowers on the weeks I lose. Sometimes just one gerbera daisy. :)
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Do new clothes in smaller sizes count? :wink:
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Yes. I spank my own behind and go "atta girl". Then move on with my day.
  • whatlunasaid
    whatlunasaid Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I usually buy something that I've had my eye on, like a slightly pricey tea or kombucha, or hiking equipment for bigger hurdles. :)

For me, it's hard to start seeing a fit person in the mirror, even though I am now objectively fit. So having a physical thing to affirm my achievement helps keep me from becoming discouraged. It's not a reward so much as a trail marker!
  • aldavid18
    aldavid18 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've thought about buying stuff, but can't because I'm broke from buying smaller sized clothes:):):) Give myself an "atta boy ya made it" and move on.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I try to reward myself in ways that don't involve food. Or if they do, Its an expensive exotic fruit like a dragon fruit.
    Lately when I stick with my fitness goals I let myself try a new supplement I've been wanting, new workout clothes, and the biggest one I recently earned is a gym membership with 4 personal training sessions and classes.
  • whatlunasaid
    whatlunasaid Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    aldavid18 wrote: »
    I've thought about buying stuff, but can't because I'm broke from buying smaller sized clothes:):):) Give myself an "atta boy ya made it" and move on.

Congratulations on your progress! Putting on the smaller clothes every day really is a great reward, isn't it? :)
  • U2R2
    U2R2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I crow a little bit here on MFP and move on to the next goal.
  • sarraheclark
    sarraheclark Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Yes, it helps keep me motivated. So far I have only hit my first goal and bought myself new make up and skin care products ($130). My next goal is prob 4 months away.

I only have 3 mid-level goals.
    SW 189
    GW1 170 (-19 lbs, 10% of SW)
    GW2 150 (-20 lbs, 20% of SW)
    GW3 145 (-5 lbs)
    UGW 140 (-5 lbs)
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I think the reward is getting to the goal...
  • aldavid18
    aldavid18 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    aldavid18 wrote: »

Congratulations on your progress! Putting on the smaller clothes every day really is a great reward, isn't it? :)

It really is and in the end that reward is what it is all about for me.
  • RunningOnWontons
    RunningOnWontons Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Oh my yes. For my first 10-lb loss I got myself a snazzy pair of replacement earbuds for my iPod. The next 10-lb loss (currently only 4 lbs away) will be a couple new shades of summer nail polish. I think my 30-lb down reward will be a couple new novels for some light beach reading.

You do what works best for you! :smile:
  • RunningOnWontons
    RunningOnWontons Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    No. Why? Is there some reason why you don't want to achieve your goal? If not, then why must you bribe yourself to reach it?

Not everyone is real big on treating themselves to nice new things. And many of us, having been overweight for a while, haven't treated ourselves particularly well for quite some time. For these folks, weight loss provides a fun opportunity to treat themselves to something out of the ordinary.

Also: I know it's Monday, but try to lighten up? ;)