Pastoring makes dieting nearly impossible!

Dieting and being a pastor is very difficult. There are so many functions and everyone wants to take you to a meal always! It is tough making good choices if there are any made available. I think I have done pretty good considering. Oh well... lol

Replies

• 92019start
    92019start Posts: 80 Member
    I'll pray for you!!
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Are these parishioners wanting you to eat meals with them, or colleagues? Either way, I can imagine it wouldn't be easy.
  • WorshipHK
    WorshipHK Posts: 30 Member
    Split your meal with someone and order off of the light menu. I go out pretty frequently now and that's how I keep those occasions managed :smile: good luck!
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Luke 10:41-42

41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one.Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Lizarking wrote: »

41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one.Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

that makes no sense. it is scripture and he is a pastor.
  • shaneozouf
    shaneozouf Posts: 59 Member
    92019start wrote: »
    I'll pray for you!!

I've heard this works!
  • missmagnoliablossom
    missmagnoliablossom Posts: 240 Member
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    Lizarking wrote: »

that makes no sense. it is scripture and he is a pastor.

It makes perfect sense.
  • WilliamAndersonLMHC
    WilliamAndersonLMHC Posts: 117 Member
    Do you plan ahead what you'll eat every day?
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Are you a better pastor if you eat what others push on you? Or does your skill at pastoring come from another source? I am not trying to be flip (frankly, I dont know what a pastor does, other than its related to religion) , but I think that there are other ways to show your engagement in your spiritual responsibilities than eating. I know that eating often equates to love, but not when its killing you (figuratively AND literally in some cases). Can you pass on the food offerings and elect to have a cup of tea or coffee instead? My advice to anyone in similar situations is just not to let other people control what YOU eat - take charge!
  • arisoh
    arisoh Posts: 5 Member
    "Get the behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me!" :D
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2017
    This Sunday I went to a different church than usual and afterwards one of the other priests was standing outside with a huge box of donuts (from a great local bakery, Dinkel's (http://www.dinkels.com/)), handing them out and saying "take one, the more you, eat the less I will."

I suspect this will work less well with homemade dinners, but it amused me.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Is it mostly dinners? All day Sunday? Can you skip breakfast and eat a light lunch if you know you have dinner plans? Or eat lower Mon-Saturday if you know you'll be eating all day Sunday?
  • Gotrek1
    Gotrek1 Posts: 64 Member
    Let your flock know you are trying to watch what you eat. Make a sermon on consumption or something ;)
  • Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    Here's an idea... why don't you incorporate some form of fasting (assuming you don't have any serious medical conditions).

Fasting is very common in many religions and you may benefit from it physically, mentally and spiritually. I think your parishnors would understand and respect your need to fast, and will most likely find other activities (less tempting) to share their time with you. They'll most likely will connect the fasting to religion rather than judge it as fad diet.

Fasting doesn't have to be total abstinence of food, it could be very lite meals. It could also be short in duration (intermittent fasting). Maybe fast every Sunday?
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited April 2017
    I'd just be honest with your parishioners and tell them the doctor said you need to lose some weight. Maybe if you don't think they would go too far, you could ask them to keep you accountable.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Where there's a will, there's a way. Order lighter options, or take half home, just think about it and you can find a solution. If you're invited to someones home, ask for very small portions.
  • Patsfan802
    Patsfan802 Posts: 245 Member
    justaju256 wrote: »
    Dieting and being a pastor is very difficult. There are so many functions and everyone wants to take you to a meal always! It is tough making good choices if there are any made available. I think I have done pretty good considering. Oh well... lol

I am a Pastor and I have lost over 67 lbs. It's a choice my friend and God wants you healthy so be very careful where you place the blame. If you need help or support hit me up I'd love to share with you.
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    jenngitch wrote: »
    Our church did a 1000-pound weightloss challenge 2016. We ended up losing over 1200 lbs. A few times a month we would have guest speakers from doctors to everyday people and what eating right, exercising etc can do for you. Our pastor lost the most weight. He lost over half of his body weight.

This is AMAZING!!!!!