Replies

• liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    Eliptical HIIT!!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I can't run, I have arthritis in my right hip and lower back, so it cripples me every time I try to run, but I get Hycling (cycling hunger) ... I'm an indoor cycling fanatic - I use my spinning bike every day and there are days when I get off my bike and head straight downstairs to the kitchen for a couple of rice cakes and a glass of chocolate milk - protein and carbs have saved me so many times post cycling session, so I know the pain is real ... !!

Rideger

and swimgry is also a total legit thing
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    kaizaku wrote: »
    JD0710 wrote: »
    I am keen to get back into a routine again with my exercise rather than just random days.

I have been warned running may not help lose weight but in fact make me gain weight which obviously I don't want to do.

I also use fitness blender which has five 30 minute workouts a week but obviously that plus a 30 minute run would equal my hourly daily exercise.

If I ran three/four times a week is it likely I'll gain weight or is there better activities to do?

Thanks!

Take a look at marathon runners. Skinny like a twig.

That's a good point. There are some people you just look at them and you know they are either a runner or a cyclist. They just have a look about them, and part of that look is that they are thin. But there's more to it than just the activity. It floored me when an obese friend told me about a half-marathon that she had run. And I can't get the image out of my head of the obese fellow I saw who had aero bars on his bike.

When we look deeper, what we find is that elite athletes go on a restricted diet leading up to a race. Any extra fat they are carrying causes them to exert more effort in the race. Extra weight can cause a person to lose a race. Even if they are only trying to beat their personal best, runners and cyclists who are competitive will reduce their weight to achieve faster times.
  • JD0710
    JD0710 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much guys!! So much to read and get my head around but it's made me not only want to drag out my running shoes (if only for a short distance) but also made me feel much happier about my current exercise regime!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I can't run, I have arthritis in my right hip and lower back, so it cripples me every time I try to run, but I get Hycling (cycling hunger) ... I'm an indoor cycling fanatic - I use my spinning bike every day and there are days when I get off my bike and head straight downstairs to the kitchen for a couple of rice cakes and a glass of chocolate milk - protein and carbs have saved me so many times post cycling session, so I know the pain is real ... !!

Rideger

and swimgry is also a total legit thing

That is the one that gets me the worst! Especially if I swim first thing in the morning.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    dazzler21 wrote: »
    i use bodyweight in lbs x 0.63 x distance in miles. 10k gets me less than 600 cals

Looks like you may be cutting yourself short. However this is better if weight loss is the goal.

My last 5k was a 432 calorie burn based on my HRM and Weight (linked with GPS). [/quote]

I'm not sure where you're getting 0.75 from, the studies suggest 0.63.

Elevation makes a difference.

Personally, at 160lbs, I'll plan 100 cals per mile.