Not understanding "net calories" and predicted weight

Options
I don't understand the whole net calories thing on mfp.
For example , lets say I eat 1400 calories and burn no calories with exercise...mfp says "you would weight "x" in 5 weeks"
And another day I eat 1600 calories and burn 300 but the "x" goes up in value even though my net calories is lower. I feel like calories are calories and the net amount should determine weight loss/gain. I'm confused.
Is this a fluke or is there a reason?

Replies

• hlblakeley
    hlblakeley Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    What's your daily calorie goal?
  • madirmfp
    madirmfp Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    hlblakeley wrote: »
    What's your daily calorie goal?
  • hlblakeley
    Options
    Okay, so in the first example you were 200 net cals over and in the second you were 400 total cals but only 100 net cals over is that correct?
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    madirmfp wrote: »
    For example , lets say I eat 1400 calories and burn no calories with exercise...mfp says "you would weight "x" in 5 weeks"
    And another day I eat 1600 calories and burn 300 but the "x" goes up in value even though my net calories is lower. I feel like calories are calories and the net amount should determine weight loss/gain. I'm confused.

I don't think most people pay any attention to that predicted weight thing. No website can tell me how much I am going to weigh in a given amount of time. Too many other factors.
  • madirmfp
    Options
    hlblakeley wrote: »
    Okay, so in the first example you were 200 net cals over and in the second you were 400 total cals but only 100 net cals over is that correct?

That was just an example. Sometimes I eat 1200 calories no exercise. And it says I'll weight "whatever number" (it changes)
    And sometimes I'll eat 1400 but burn 300 and have a net of 1100,but that number will be more than if I had a net of 1200.

• PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I don't pay attention to it at all.
  • madirmfp
    Options

I don't think most people pay any attention to that predicted weight thing. No website can tell me how much I am going to weigh in a given amount of time. Too many other factors.

I get that, but I still want to understand the relationship. I'm sure it's a generic number if everything were perfect .

• amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    How often do you enter your weight into MFP? Because if you weighed more on the day that you net 1100 than you did on the day you net 1200, this could be why
  • madirmfp
    Options
    amyr271 wrote: »
    How often do you enter your weight into MFP? Because if you weighed more on the day that you net 1100 than you did on the day you net 1200, this could be why
    i do it every other week. I try to look at my progress in inches vs pounds as much as possible. Just so I don't panic when there is clearly progress

• cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    The "you would weigh X in five weeks" is simply an algorithm based on what you ate THAT DAY. People have mixed reactions to it - some find it motivating, some find it completely irrelevant to their progress and in fact, get frustrated with it because it is not accurate - weight loss is not linear and cant be predicted that accurately.

Personally, I ignore it. It is not possible to eat exactly the same thing in the same amounts every day, so its really meaningless.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Some people reported issues with that algorithm some time ago, if I remember correctly. Maybe it's still an issue?
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    edited April 2017
    Options

I get that, but I still want to understand the relationship. I'm sure it's a generic number if everything were perfect .

I think you are spinning your wheels bothering with it. Are you going to replicate your daily activity, sleep, bowel movements, urination, food, EXACTLY each day? It's simply not possible to predict a future weight unless you are a science experiment. :)
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Net is the most important number if it's giving you a higher weight when you net lower there's something wrong with the algorithm. Report it to MFP and ignore it. I'll have to say I haven't noticed the different values because I rarely memorise/write down the "you'll be this in 5 week figure" from one day to the next as I just click straight past since I rarely have two days the same so it's fairly meaningless to me.
  • RedSquadronLeader
    RedSquadronLeader Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I haven't paid any attention to that number, as I keep my own projections. But, I wonder if it's based on the weekly average net calories, so a rolling average to the particular day you're logging, rather than a single day. To me that's a reasonable way to approximate it, but maybe there's just flat out a bug in their algorithm.
  • madirmfp
    Options

I think you are spinning your wheels bothering with it. Are you going to replicate your daily activity, sleep, bowel movements, urination, food, EXACTLY each day? It's simply not possible to predict a future weight unless you are a science experiment. :)
    It's not about the weight itself. It's about the relationship between net calories and weight loss in general
  • madirmfp
    Options
    Net is the most important number if it's giving you a higher weight when you net lower there's something wrong with the algorithm. Report it to MFP and ignore it. I'll have to say I haven't noticed the different values because I rarely memorise/write down the "you'll be this in 5 week figure" from one day to the next as I just click straight past since I rarely have two days the same so it's fairly meaningless to me.
    I usually use inches to measure my progress. I was just confused about the whole thing. Just to know if it would be effecting my progress in general.

• madirmfp
    Options
    Maybe it only takes in account your food intake and not exercise ??
  • hlblakeley
    Options
    It is supposed to take everything into account. Like others have said, it is something that can be ignored if it's causing you stress or you can use it to motivate yourself. Since you tend to ignore scale weight and go by inches anyway, I'd ignore it.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    Options
    It's not about the weight itself. It's about the relationship between net calories and weight loss in general

I'm sure if you email MFP maybe someone can find out the algorithm for you.

• fitmom4lifemfp
    Options
    Maybe it only takes in account your food intake and not exercise ??

Of course it doesn't use exercise. Or anything else other than the weight you currently are, and your calories that were entered that day. That's why it's not useful information.