Missing Period

Options
Straight to the point: My periods have been irregular (lasting 3-4 days and even skipping a whole day in between) lately since beginning my diet in February (I've lost 6lbs since then) and this month it completely skipped over. I'm at a healthy weight I believe
152lbs 5'7'' not pregnant and I would guess I'm around 21% Bodyfat
Perhaps I'm undereating? Stress (Not sure what I would be stressed about)? Maybe It's time to maintain till it regulates

Replies

• missmagnoliablossom
    missmagnoliablossom Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating per day?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating per day?

This and also consider reviewing your logs for fat intake (very important for hormonal functioning), as well as micronutrient (vitamins and mineral) balances. Would be a good idea to see your doctor to get a general check up and blood work drawn.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yep, diet and exercise can really change them, happens to me a lot. doc said I am fine., but you should check it out.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    There are a LOT of things that can affect periods...many of them are completely normal. However, you should be getting an annual exam by a gynecologist. If you're not, book one right away.
  • NaomiSarahChan
    NaomiSarahChan Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had been eating 1600 calories per day, .8-1g protein per pound of bw and 60g fat. I take multivitamins along with fish oil, sleep 7-8 hours per night, workout 3-4x per week and get in a good 8-10k steps per day. I'm 18 atm and trying to tighten a bit for graduation.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I find my system is easily affected by stressors of just about any kind. I skipped one the month after I started tracking/losing weight with MFP again, but I half-expected to because I know me. It's only been a few cycles if you started in February; I'd give it a few more months and see if things even out. If not, or if you're concerned, don't hesitate to speak to your doctor about.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Go to a doctor. It might have nothing to do with your diet but with other internal issues.
  • NaomiSarahChan
    edited April 2017
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    I had been eating 1600 calories per day, .8-1g protein per pound of bw and 60g fat. I take multivitamins along with fish oil, sleep 7-8 hours per night, workout 3-4x per week and get in a good 8-10k steps per day. I'm 18 atm and trying to tighten a bit for graduation.

To be honest it could just be due to changes in your exercising and eating habits but because you're 18 I'm inclined to say that I don't think it's much to be concerned about at the moment. Periods change a lot. When I was 18, while I've never missed one, my period was not the same as it was when I was 15, and it's not the same now at 28.

That's the concerning part. I've been lifting and exercising a good 2 years now. The majority of the time was in excess calories building and I have had a regular cycle for about half a year now (I was underweight so thats why I was building). I got to a point I was happy with my muscle and decided to tighten up - now my period apparently doesnt want me to lose
  • NaomiSarahChan
    edited April 2017
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I find my system is easily affected by stressors of just about any kind. I skipped one the month after I started tracking/losing weight with MFP again, but I half-expected to because I know me. It's only been a few cycles if you started in February; I'd give it a few more months and see if things even out. If not, or if you're concerned, don't hesitate to speak to your doctor about.

I had spoke to my doc and he says that back in the older days people were way more active and ate less than we did and were fine. He is kinda "hippy" (Can't think of any other word for it), so Idk
    My period was fine until I started a deficit so it's as if my body hates me losing fat. Or maybe I'm totally oblivious and am leaner than I think lol
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If you're eating 1600 and not eating back exercise calories at your age... you're eating way too little!
  • NaomiSarahChan
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    If you're eating 1600 and not eating back exercise calories at your age... you're eating way too little!

I maintain at 2100-2200. so a 500kcal deficit is too much?
  • NaomiSarahChan
    edited April 2017
    Options
    So I've decided to stop trying to lose fat at the moment until I get my period again. I'd rather have a peace of mind and healthy body than 'tightening' up :) also def talk to the doctor again. Thanks for your thoughts!
  • bren3jet
    bren3jet Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Please don't feel you need to publicly answer this but have you changed a method of birth control recently? I have an IUD and don't get a period at all but when i first had it put in it took months for my period to phase out completely. Again dont feel i am looking for an answer but just something for you to consider.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I think you're going with the right approach. And perhaps when you feel comfortable and regulated again you could just go with a 250 calorie deficit. Just lose slowly, if you don't have much to cut then a 500 calorie deficit could well be too much for you personally.
  • NaomiSarahChan
    Options
    bren3jet wrote: »
    Please don't feel you need to publicly answer this but have you changed a method of birth control recently? I have an IUD and don't get a period at all but when i first had it put in it took months for my period to phase out completely. Again dont feel i am looking for an answer but just something for you to consider.

I've never gone on BC and never will.
    I hope it all straightens out for you! It's a scary thing sometimes
  • kenzienal
    kenzienal Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    When I was 18, while I've never missed one, my period was not the same as it was when I was 15, and it's not the same now at 28.

This. In the past year, mine has become lighter and lighter, you could almost consider it just spotting at this point.

It was its lightest when I began 16:8 IF.

Your body will constantly be everchanging. Dont worry.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I maintain at 2100-2200. so a 500kcal deficit is too much?

Yes, at 152 lbs 5'7'' a 500 kcal deficit is too much.

So I've decided to stop trying to lose fat at the moment until I get my period again. I'd rather have a peace of mind and healthy body than 'tightening' up :) also def talk to the doctor again. Thanks for your thoughts!

Glad to hear it!