Diet Variety

Options
Jorra
Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
I know that it's important to have variety in your diet, but I'm wondering exactly what that means.

When I go back to college, my choices in the cafeteria are limited because I know how our cafeteria chefs cook, and I'd like to stay away from their creations (loaded with oil and salt!) This pretty much leaves me with the salad bar, fruit, cereal, chicken breast, and a few other things. This in itself is a varied diet, it's got all the food groups. However, if I continue to eat the same things every day, is it still varied?

Discuss.

Replies

• lakenleona
    lakenleona Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I start college in the fall and I've been worried about the food choices in the cafeteria too. I get bored very easily eating the same things every day, so I'm definitely going to have to find a way to add variety to my meals. I'm not really sure about the answer to your question though, just wanted you to know someone else is having the same thoughts! :)
  • Jorra
    Options
    I start college in the fall and I've been worried about the food choices in the cafeteria too. I get bored very easily eating the same things every day, so I'm definitely going to have to find a way to add variety to my meals. I'm not really sure about the answer to your question though, just wanted you to know someone else is having the same thoughts! :)

I know I'll be taking advantage of the salad bar, fruit, etc. I will also be buying a few of my own things like raw almonds, yogurt, protein powder, etc.

I think it's important to know how your cafeteria runs, I used to work in mine so I know what goes on behind the scenes. Everything is homemade fresh with no concrete recipes. They absolutely refuse to give out nutritional information because they just can't.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to know how your cafeteria runs, I used to work in mine so I know what goes on behind the scenes. Everything is homemade fresh with no concrete recipes. They absolutely refuse to give out nutritional information because they just can't.

Wow, sounds like quite a decent school cafeteria :o
  • Jorra
    Options

Wow, sounds like quite a decent school cafeteria :o

Yea, it's run by a company called Bon Appetit (or BAMCO). They typically cater for corporate offices, but do run a few college campuses.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Couldn't you pack things? You mentioned bringing yogurt and snacks, but I pack myself a salad almost every day. It is cheaper and I can determine exactly what goes in.

You're not living on campus or on a meal plan or anything, right?
  • Jorra
    Options
    Couldn't you pack things? You mentioned bringing yogurt and snacks, but I pack myself a salad almost every day. It is cheaper and I can determine exactly what goes in.

You're not living on campus or on a meal plan or anything, right?

I am living on campus with a meal plan actually. My school is in a small rural town and 99% live on campus all four years. With my scholarships, meal plan is way cheaper.
  • Jorra
    Options
    Alright, now that we've settled the situation with my college, back to my original question.

Is it still a varied diet if I eat the same variety of things every day?
  • perceptualobfuscator
    perceptualobfuscator Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I don't think it counts as variety. Same thing every day, even if each item is individually dissimilar, is unfortunately not the variety people are talking about.

Hence why I kept a small refrigerator in my dorm room, back when I was in residence. Which I recommend you do, if possible. Controlling your own food supply in infinitely preferable from a health and sanity perspective, IMO.
  • Jorra
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I don't think it counts as variety. Same thing every day, even if each item is individually dissimilar, is unfortunately not the variety people are talking about.

Hence why I kept a small refrigerator in my dorm room, back when I was in residence. Which I recommend you do, if possible. Controlling your own food supply in infinitely preferable from a health and sanity perspective, IMO.

I do have my own fridge in my dorm, I will do my best to get some different kinds of foods in there. I will also be eating different foods on the weekend because I'll be home instead of at the dorm. (I work on weekends at home.)