Not understanding "net calories" and predicted weight

Options
2»

Replies

• madirmfp
    madirmfp Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I haven't paid any attention to that number, as I keep my own projections. But, I wonder if it's based on the weekly average net calories, so a rolling average to the particular day you're logging, rather than a single day. To me that's a reasonable way to approximate it, but maybe there's just flat out a bug in their algorithm.
    Yeah that's what I was wondering. I love math so it looks like I have some reading and research to do. ☺️

• Lorilynn_37
    Lorilynn_37 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I wish it were accurate I would have been at my goal 6 months ago! Lol
    I try not to look at it
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    madirmfp wrote: »
    I haven't paid any attention to that number, as I keep my own projections. But, I wonder if it's based on the weekly average net calories, so a rolling average to the particular day you're logging, rather than a single day. To me that's a reasonable way to approximate it, but maybe there's just flat out a bug in their algorithm.
    Yeah that's what I was wondering. I love math so it looks like I have some reading and research to do. ☺️

No. It's just based on the day. It is based on your net for the day. So unless you aren't entering your exercises, something does seem off. Can you open your diary?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Oh. Also, you CANNOT go back and look at a previous day and see results based on that days weight. So if you go back 5 weeks, MFP will estimate what you would weigh based on TODAY's weight and your deficit for that day. So If I go back to last September when I started, it tells me I would weigh 238 in 5 weeks. Last September I was 320 lbs or so.

I started noting the 5 week number in the notes after I closed a day.
  • hoorayselma
    hoorayselma Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    The "you would weigh X in five weeks" is simply an algorithm based on what you ate THAT DAY. People have mixed reactions to it - some find it motivating, some find it completely irrelevant to their progress and in fact, get frustrated with it because it is not accurate - weight loss is not linear and cant be predicted that accurately.

Personally, I ignore it. It is not possible to eat exactly the same thing in the same amounts every day, so its really meaningless.
    Im one of those that get motivated when i see .. " you'll weigh x in 5 weeks"
  • madirmfp
    madirmfp Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Oh. Also, you CANNOT go back and look at a previous day and see results based on that days weight. So if you go back 5 weeks, MFP will estimate what you would weigh based on TODAY's weight and your deficit for that day. So If I go back to last September when I started, it tells me I would weigh 238 in 5 weeks. Last September I was 320 lbs or so.

I started noting the 5 week number in the notes after I closed a day.

I can open my diary if you promise not to judge