Smootie for breakfast or dinner?

Options
Obviously, long-term weight loss success comes with changing eating habits, and maintaining those changes. One change that has been successful in the past with my wife and me is to replace a meal with a nutritious smoothie.

Typically, you hear of people having a smoothie for breakfast, but we're leaning to occasionally replacing our evening meal (dinner) with smoothies. Breakfast is easily managed with food we bring to work, and lunch, unfortunately, must be a "smart" meal eaten out, since our office does not have much in the way of food preparation or eating facilities.

So, a smoothie after work as our evening meal seems to be the ticket.

Generally speaking is there any rule of thumb or suggestion as to WHEN you should have a smoothie? Any reason to have one at breakfast as opposed to dinner?

Replies

• Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    @jimb107 you can have a smoothie any time you want there are no rules as long as it fits within your calorie goal for the day.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I love smoothies for breakfast on the go. Just remember to shoot for protein (i do greek yogurt) a fat (i do flax or chia seeds) and carbs (i do a variety of fruits but not to exceed a cup!)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I do protein shakes a few times a week when I've done intense training and/or I'm a little short on protein. I've even had one as a snack before bedtime. I've never had one as a dinner replacement. But I don't see any reason why it would matter what time of day you had it. Go ahead and have your smoothie, but make sure it's nutritious and filling! :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I want "real" food in the evening so a smoothie wouldn't work for me for dinner. But you do you. The nice thing about MFP is there are no crazy rules that dictate things like when a smoothie needs to be consumed. As long as you enjoy it and it fits your goals then drink it whenever you want it!
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I've made smoothies before and they are very filling for some reason..I'm not sure I would replace them as dinner, just because I like actual food, but breakfast I probably wouldn't mind. Especially on hot Texas days..
  • mframkovar
    mframkovar Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think using smoothies to replace any meal is perfectly acceptable. Whatever works for you. Find a good quality protein shake with no sugar and at least 20 grams of protein and add fruit and veggies and you have a great meal replacement! I love adding kale, spinach, mango and pineapple!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't think smoothies are any more nutritious than a good meal you eat (of course, smoothies also are more or less nutritious). The time of day you eat them doesn't matter unless it affects you. I eat dinner late and tend to be less likely to get hungry afterwards than any other meal, so I can skimp on dinner easily if necessary (I love it the most, though, so rarely do, but save calories). But I have had smoothies occasionally, because I wasn't that hungry or felt lazy and it was hot or it was too late for a real meal or even I was just craving one. No harm in it. If it fits your lifestyle, go for it.