Healthy Camping

Options
I love to go camping but eating health while camping is next to impossible (especially when everyone around you is eating smokies and smores) and all you have to store your food in is a cooler with ice. Anybody got some good tips that I can take with me on my next camping trip?

Replies

• mangirl
    mangirl Posts: 93
    Options
    Take turkey and beans. NOM NOM
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Sorry I can't help but I'm planning on doing a lot of camping and would love to hear some suggestions that come in!! In the past I've taken lots of boil-in-the-bag meals but I'm pretty sure they're not great calories or fat wise
  • LJCDuke11
    LJCDuke11 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this tooo!!!! I know oatmeal is nice and light!!! and easy to store.... instant mashed potatoes.... ramen noodles.... fresh green beans are light... I'm thinkin more backpacking/hiking/camping.... SOOO fun!!
  • LJCDuke11
    Options
    you'll need carbs when you're out moving and going alot!!! =)
  • mill1295
    mill1295 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Pita sandwiches are good for lunch when you don't have a fire.. whole wheat pita, hummus and veggies. I do roasted veggies in the fire for dinner. I usually prepare them before hand at home so it's easier. I cut up a bunch of veggies and add seasoning and fold them up in aluminum foil and cook them on the edge of the fire turning them often. We have a single propane burner we bring so I actually made brown rice to go with them last time we went camping.

Have fun! I <3 camping!
  • LJCDuke11
    Options
    and omg!!!! that life saver of camping food is getting a variety bottle of spices/salts.... it's a little 2.5in diameter, 3 in tall round container that has salt, pepper, curry, cayanne, garlic powder, onion powder.... and I think one more... TOTAL LIFE SAVER!!! 4 days with 7 females still have 4/5th of it left!!! IT's like 4-6 bucks!! BUY IT!!!
  • vulrich93
    vulrich93 Posts: 99
    Options
    Vegetarian hot dogs and burgers :)
    Try & get that packaged salad too, it's super easy and quick. You could try looking for low calorie hot dog buns too.
  • LJCDuke11
    Options
    Pita sandwiches are good for lunch when you don't have a fire.. whole wheat pita, hummus and veggies. I do roasted veggies in the fire for dinner. I usually prepare them before hand at home so it's easier. I cut up a bunch of veggies and add seasoning and fold them up in aluminum foil and cook them on the edge of the fire turning them often. We have a single propane burner we bring so I actually made brown rice to go with them last time we went camping.

Have fun! I <3 camping!

OOOHHH!!!! GREAT IDEA!!!
  • LJCDuke11
    Options
    Vegetarian hot dogs and burgers :)
    Try & get that packaged salad too, it's super easy and quick. You could try looking for low calorie hot dog buns too.

ANOTHER GREAT IDEA!!!
  • jcs1987
    jcs1987 Posts: 10
    Options
    Ya I tend to be lazy and pick up my groceries the day of camping so I need to get out of that habit and actually semi plan meals. Ps - you guys are genius! haha I am already getting some excellent ideas!
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I do wilderness camping via canoe a few times a year, so we do burn a lot of calories while we camp.

We will often take a lot of the Mountain House freeze-dried meals (mountainhouse.com). They're about 400-500 calories per meal, but are yummy and filling, and as someone already mentioned, if you're going to be on the move a lot your body needs it. We love their spaghetti and chili especially.

Another favourite camping meal is what we call Camper's Hash:

CAMPERS' HASH

- heavy duty aluminium foil
    - medium or lean ground beef
    - onion
    - turnip
    - potato
    - oil, butter, or margerine

Rip off 2 large pieces of the foil (the package will be double wrapped). Using oil or margarine, spread very carefully with a butter knife the grease on the foil surface (remember for foil to work properly the side facing up to you should be the shiny side).

Cut up potatoes and turnip into small dices, and finely chop up an onion and place on surface of the foil. By the way, all the ratios of food are governed by how much you want to use of each, I like lots of onions b/c it gives it real flavor, but it's up to you. Using either lean or medium ground beef (I find extra lean is too lean and the stuff tends to burn), put large "dabs" of the raw meat amongst the veggies. I usually end up putting a few more dabs o' butter throughout the package as well, especially if you decide to use lean beef.

Now comes the important part - fold up the package (the inner package first and then the outer package. It is absolutely IMPERATIVE that there are no holes anywhere in the foil and that you fold the package up so that no steam will escape - the steam is what cooks your food. If there's a hole, you might as well start over because it wont turn out (it will burn really bad).

Then you place right on top (or in) the campfire, and carefully grab it out once in a while to flip it over (with tongs or two flat sticks), and turn it around, takes about 20-25 minutes to cook if you've got a hot fire.

This is SO delicious and we look forward to it every time we camp! You can use any kind of meat or fish as well, and as many kinds of veggies are you like. The possibilities are endless!
  • SweetP88
    SweetP88 Posts: 79
    Options
    I bring the "Eating Right Turkey Burgers" 120 calories/patty and 2 gr fat. I buy them at Safeway. So even with Miracle Whip, the bun and cheese it is only approx 340 calories and under 6gr fat. LOVE LOVE THEM!! Way better for you than the regular burger. Also try Cheddar Turkey Smokies (can't remember the brand). They are about the same calories/fat as the burgers. Even on maintenance I am trying to switch out the good old standbys (burgers, smokies, chips) and find things that I like that are similar but just better for my body!! p.s. instead of chips try CheeCha Puffs
  • jackiebo
    jackiebo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    It's a challenge, but can be done. I'm not a backpacker anymore, so these ideas are for car camping. I like the chicken sausages they make now, they're great to do over the campfire. Steak (in moderation), corn on the cob, baked potatoes (esp. sweet potatoes), grilled veggies on skewers, cut up ahead of time are wonderful. Oatmeal in the AM is good, esp. the flavored kinds, although they're jam-packed with sugar, so you can't eat a lot of them. Can't beat Canadian bacon, either, it's low fat, low calorie and tasty. I like to take along some fresh fruit and cheese for lunch, with rye crisps or some kind of "fancy" crackers. This last time I had some roasted chicken in the fridg, so I shredded some up, stuck it in a baggie, packed some cheese and flour tortillas, with some salsa to make burritos in the skillet. I've heard of people making all kinds of Dutch Oven recipes, but I've yet to try them. I've never been a fan of S'mores or roasted marshmallows, just too sweet. It takes some planning and preparation, but well worth it. No guilt trip when you come home, and hopefully no weight gain. Oh yeah, the little flavored rice cakes, Quakers, are really good, too.
  • jcs1987
    jcs1987 Posts: 10
    Options
    I have been always worried about what chicken or turkey burgers/sausages would taste like. I guess im gonna have to try them out!
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Or you could basically just eat what you want, but ensure you're getting a lot of exercise (biking, hiking, running, swimming, canoeing, etc.)