Job making it feel impossible to lose weight

Options
So I'm a recent DVM and I'm thrilled to actually be out doing something I love. In school I stress ate and told myself that when I didn't have clinicians, residents and interns pushing everything downhill and blaming you when their day went poorly I could focus on losing weight. However I'm struggling and feel like this job is making it impossible to get into a healthy rhythm.

I've been trying to identify the problem areas and how to work around it. First off I'm trying to find a reliable time to workout, lately I've been waking up an hour to half hour before my alarm so I'm thinking this time would be a good time to get a workout in before I get exhausted from the day.

The bigger issue I have is at work. It seems as though there is a never ending stream of drug reps that come with "treats" and they all seem to come at the same time. One week we had 4 reps bring Dunkin Donuts in the same day, the next day we were brought Olive Garden, then a few days later it was Panera, then subs from a local pizza joint. Not to mention the seemingly continuous supply of cookies and other sweets in the break room. If the food is in the break room it is easier to avoid because I'm usually too busy to go in there, but this is another issue. I intentionally don't bring my lunch to work for a couple reasons 1) if I don't leave the clinic I will not be left alone and effectively miss my lunch through interruptions, "so in so is on the phone, can you talk to them? (If I don't then they just come ask me the owner's questions and I play back and forth) so it's easier to just leave. 2) that hour and a half is time for me to catch up on house work, mail, bills, etc. 3) I live close to work so it is easy enough to go home for lunch and get chores done. The problem with this is when I have a day where I'm double booked in the morning and end up working into lunch catching up or like today, I had a surgery patient that decided to be difficult so I sat with the patient through lunch to ensure it recovered well and was awake and stable. I wouldn't have it any other way, the result though was I was starving and had 5 minutes before my afternoon appointments. The result was the McDonald's drive through next door. I feel like this is a trend going into spring which worries me. So far my only solution is to bring my lunch and then take it and leave the clinic for lunch. Ideally I'm thinking something I can keep in my desk so I avoid the treats in the break room.

Finally the other thing I have to reign in is all the candy people bring. The staff sees me running ragged, having a bad day or what not and so they bring in candy. They know peanut butter is my favorite so they are always bringing in Reese's and setting them right where I write records. I've tried to curb that by talking about trying to loose weight with my staff and also by moving the candy. I seriously have a drawer full of candy at the moment because they were starting to set the extras in my desk and I'd toss it in a drawer I don't use or usually notice and then when I remember I dig some out before I leave so others will eat it.

I'm hardly ever at my desk and spend most of the day on my feet and yet I still can't seem to make any progress. Nights and weekends I'm on call are also difficult because I feel like I'm glued to my phone and my apartment so I can access information if someone calls. I want to make a routine I can fall into before I have a year of practice under my belt but 2 months in and I'm struggling.

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I keep protein bars in my desk. When the temptation shows up I grab one, then I'm full and its easier to say no thanks.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Figure out something fairly non perishable you can keep at work for when you can't get away. I use rice cups and flavoured tuna for example, also maybe some apples. That helps stave off hunger in an emergency
  • angryromancegrrl
    angryromancegrrl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I log the entire day in the morning, pack my lunch and snacks (everyday!). This way, I know what I can eat. When someone offers me something that isn't already logged, it's easier to say no.

And fwiw, saying "no" is a habit you can learn.I don't say why, or make an excuse, I just say, "no thanks" and get back to work. It's not easy, but it is a habit like anything else.

And don't expect perfection. Even if you cave...log it. :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    If your main issue is the problem with packing food and not getting the opportunity to eat it and wasting it, could you have frozen meals, frozen vegies, a loaf of sliced bread frozen, or non perishable stuff like canned tuna, rice in a bag, baked beans, soups etc stored at work so you have options other than the high calorie stuff brought in or the mcD's next door?

You have to learn to say no to the other stuff if you want to achieve your goals - free food doesn't mean delicious or worth it. Usually the opposite. It also seems like you have a never ending supply so it's not special. Perhaps email reps etc and ask that they not bring in X food items as you are promoting a healthier approach in your workplace?
  • RBBNKRHL
    RBBNKRHL Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am a Veterinary Technician and I can relate. The endless stream of greatful pet parents bringing in "thank you" treats is non stop, the during holidays it seriously gets RIDICULOUS. I've worked with many DVM's (and quite a few techs for that matter) who struggle with finding a good work/life balance. I know it's hard when you're so passionate about you do but you will wear yourself down eventually, leaving the clinic during lunch is definitely a good idea. As for those days when it's just not going to happen- meal prepping, a small cooler filled with healthy alternatives, and will power are your best bet. Maybe even your own tiny mini fridge under your desk? I wish you the best of luck and congratulations on your new career
  • ldwatene
    ldwatene Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Curious have you ever recorded everything you ate as you ate and what time you ate it?

You'll probably find it interesting after a week. It will either be really bad and motivate you to say no more or not nearly as bad as you thought and you could focus more on working out.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Just got back to work after a short spring break and there were 12 (yes TWELVE) big boxes of sweets, from candy bars to donuts. In the kitchen, where also the coffee machine and water cooler are located. I am currently trying to lose a few kilos after a limited physical activity period, so I am just pretending they are not there. There is no other way. If I were to try just one piece of each, which I would love to, I would be over my calories for the entire week probably. Learn to plan your meals, plan treats too, and do not just eat whatever is available. Just because a fast food place is around the corner or someone brings treat to work, it does not mean you have to eat them. No other way to make this work
  • Zeale
    Zeale Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey Futurecowvet

I work in a similar environment. I have customers who constantly “thank” me and my team by supplying us with assorted highly caloric baked goods and a boss who thinks he can motivate his staff by purchasing cakes and donuts for his subordinates rather than handing out bonuses and pay rises. Here are some options I’m trying:

1.) Get rid immediately. Throw them straight in the garbage before your willpower breaks.
    2.) Offload them onto another department who aren’t as concerned about their waistline. Give them to fat Rhonda so she can stuff her gob at a rate of 2 donuts per minute.
    3.) Lie: Tell them you’re diabetic and they just gave you poison.
    4.) Be honest: Ask them if they would give a heroin junkie heroin? Then why did they just give an obese person refined sugar? (Sorry if you’re not obese, just trying to illustrate a point. I’m obese but working on it)
    5.) Technically, at least in the UK, unsolicited goods supplied in such a fashion would be considered under the briberies act. Thus the cakes and donuts would be a bribe and you can’t accept them since you, rather than the company, would personally benefit from them.

I would really like to stamp out this culture of giving out baked goods loaded with refined sugar as bribes and rewards. If you want to really thank someone, nothing makes them feel more appreciated than hard cold cash.

Good luck, be strong.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Think of work as like a supermarket, and your calorie limit like your budget.

There are endless amounts of food at work and the supermarket. You can only spend/eat the calories you're allotted.

You don't go into debt at the supermarket. Don't go into debt at work.

You can have treats, just have them in moderation. Getting up earlier than your alarm is a great idea, as exercising buys you more calories/food to eat.

^^This.
    At the end of the day, you have to want the weight loss more than you want the food. Believe me, the free food train of cakes, doughnuts, catering, etc...is never ending at my workplace too. Just because it's there, does not mean that you have to eat it. When you start feeling the temptations, think about how far you've come in your weight loss/health. Picture yourself healthier, full of energy, wearing smaller clothes..whatever your ultimate goal is. Then ask yourself if the extra food is worth more than the goal.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Zeale wrote: »
    Hey Futurecowvet

I work in a similar environment. I have customers who constantly “thank” me and my team by supplying us with assorted highly caloric baked goods and a boss who thinks he can motivate his staff by purchasing cakes and donuts for his subordinates rather than handing out bonuses and pay rises. Here are some options I’m trying:

1.) Get rid immediately. Throw them straight in the garbage before your willpower breaks.
    2.) Offload them onto another department who aren’t as concerned about their waistline. Give them to fat Rhonda so she can stuff her gob at a rate of 2 donuts per minute.
    3.) Lie: Tell them you’re diabetic and they just gave you poison.
    4.) Be honest: Ask them if they would give a heroin junkie heroin? Then why did they just give an obese person refined sugar? (Sorry if you’re not obese, just trying to illustrate a point. I’m obese but working on it)
    5.) Technically, at least in the UK, unsolicited goods supplied in such a fashion would be considered under the briberies act. Thus the cakes and donuts would be a bribe and you can’t accept them since you, rather than the company, would personally benefit from them.

I would really like to stamp out this culture of giving out baked goods loaded with refined sugar as bribes and rewards. If you want to really thank someone, nothing makes them feel more appreciated than hard cold cash.

Good luck, be strong.

While there is some good advice here (getting rid of the food, etc..), I would respectfully disagree with lying or shaming people for giving you food gifts. I don't think that would be a good way to build healthy business relationships with reps, etc...
  • deviousme7
    deviousme7 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Prepare your food
    Prelog your food
    Eat before you get really hungry
    Stop making excuses
    Say no
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    IMO? Pack a lunch. Log that. Eat that. Then use that one hour to go for a walk (unless waking up earlier and working out then works out for you). Then learn to say no to whatever people bring (or tell yourself you'll have one treat a day, and choose carefully - being on your feet all day, you can probably easily get away with that).

Also you can eat a reasonable lunch in fast food places without it being 1000 calories.

On week ends, just go for a walk or something and take your phone with you.

In the end though... you have to want to lose the weight more than you want the treats, and nobody can do that for you.
  • elleaitch11
    elleaitch11 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others - pack a lunch. If you don't get time to leave, eat the lunch you packed. If you do get time to leave, eat the lunch you packed, just not in the office. Walk during that time, or just rest.
    Also, if waking up too early is leaving you tired (and hungry) later in the day, choose more sleep over exercise. Weight loss is primarily about the food you eat (or don't) so I wouldn't stress at this point about getting up early to work out. You have a long lunch break to walk, and aren't sedentary at work, so I would't stress.

And if you can, ask the reps to not bring food, and tell the staff to stop bringing you candy. Maybe even make a little sign for your desk "Candy-free zone!"
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Only one person has control over what goes into your mouth and that is you. Lots of us have been offered sweets at work. At my last job, I was in good with the owners and constantly invited, not only to business meetings but just out to eat and drink and it was all paid for. Depending on the circumstances, I either went and ate sensibly or just politely declined. We had contractors bringing in donuts and even barbeque but no one else ever put the food in my mouth for me. It was my choice. Only once did I have a donut, a maple glazed with nuts. I set it aside, looked up the calories, worked it into my budget, and ate it right before heading to the gym when I could benefit from extra carbs. Now, I drive a truck all day and have zero place to store or prepare meals. I simply pack my lunch, and unsweet tea in a small cooler and bring my "splenda" and sugar free hazelnut creamer for my coffee. No excuses. You can absolutely do this. You just have to choose to.