Hair loss

Options
Has anybody experienced hair thinning/loss after increasing exercise? I went from rarely exercising to exercising daily including running. My hair started to.thin after 3 months and continues to.thin after about a month of less extreme exercise. Any tips?

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? What about fat intake? Vitamins?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    And your protein intake too?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Mostly likely you are not eating enough, hence undernourished, as in less than 1000 calories per day, or you have thyroid problems. These are the two most common causes of hair loss by MFP users.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Or you could have alopecia such as myself. It can develope at any stage in life, usually brought up by a very stressful event. Either way. Speak to a doctor
  • Msimon6201
    Msimon6201 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I made an appointment with a random doctor. Anyone have a suggestion of someone you used that was good? I have been drinking protein shakes and increased protein alot. Taking multivitamin biotin and vitamin c. Got really bad last few weeks. Its funny cuz I am exercising alot less now.
  • jessef593
    Options
    I used to get corticol steroid injects into my scalp to treat mine. Then I waited almost 2 years to see a dermatologist who told me the only treatment that would work would be $10,000 a year. Alopecia will come and go, it's a hell of a disease though..
  • jessef593
    Options
    Eventually I just said screw it and started shaving my head
  • DannyYMi54321
    DannyYMi54321 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hair loss can also be a symptom of anemia or low iron stores even if hemaglobin is nominally with the normal range. Endurance athletes often have problems with anemia because the pounding from running and impact sports can deplete iron reserves, especially in women between puberty and menopause who are already prone to anemia due to monthly loss of iron from the body.

Your doctor probably will order a CBC. If you think anemia/iron levels could be an issue, You also should request the lab do a ferritin level, total iron binding capacity, and a B12 level, none of which are usually part of a normal blood panel.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Maybe that was my problem...
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    But seriously see your doctor, there are so many potential causes.. asking on the internet is most likely not going to help unless you want to try 100 different theories until you hit on the solution.
  • emlivh
    emlivh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    you should see your primary care physician and have a full metabolic panel done this will determine what your nutritional balance is and what is need to put you in the correct balance. Good Luck
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Talk to your GP. I had alopecia areata in 2006 and it was "just one of those things". It's never happened again since, not even through stressful times, pregnancy, weight loss or gains.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Definitely a doctor. My hair loss was/is related to PCOS and hormonal issues.