Question about “good” fats

Options
arotella
arotella Posts: 98 Member
So I have been really trying to clean up my diet and eliminate as many processed foods as possible. It has been a slow, but sure change. My problem is that my fat intake (which is custom set to 20% of my daily calories) is always over, but the majority of that fat is coming from nuts and peanut butter. I know MUFAs are considered “good” fats, but is this too much of a good thing? I am not a huge meat person so I figure it’s a good way to get in my protein and fill me up. Plus I LOVE peanut butter! I use Skippy Natural which doesn’t contain hydrogenated oils & is much cheaper than the organic options… I hope that is a good choice.

Also… how bad are protein powders in the unprocessed world? I use Max Pro, Wheybolic, and occasionally Muscle Milk Light.

Replies

• CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and other nut butters are good for you and 20% seems low to me. But that's just me...
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm big on protein.. Fish, eggs, chicken and turkey with an occassional steak or a lean porkloin.
    But like you one of my faves is Natural Peanut Butter with Honey,

Remember Peanut butter, avocados and nuts are a great source but so is Extra Virgin olive oil.

BTW, I use Aria Soy Protein for women.. I love it and I buy mine at Trader Joes.
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and nuts are good as long as you are still paying attention to portions. Too much is not good. Another good fat is avocado if you like them. I love adding avocado to salad. Protein powders are ok. My trainer has me drinking them after work outs.
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    I'm a HUGE almond butter fan vs. peanut butter (totally a taste thing)
    I love non-salted almonds as another good nut fat source
    Salmon Salmon Salmon lol - it's the best for the "good fats"

I too go for a 20% to 25% fat ratio - sometimes I'm a little over, but usually real close to that mark and it has worked great for me hon...

As for protein - check out Nu-Tek and In-Tek (also spelled Nutek / Intek) I get them at Nutrishop and LOVE them - Started to get disappointed with the GNC choices and really like Nutrishop - you might have one near you and they'll let you taste the powders (they'll make a shake) before you buy - I LOVE that place :)
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    When you put fat in your stomach, a signal is sent to your brain that makes you feel sated (the same thing happens when you eat protein). So in theory, the more fat you eat, the less you will eat in general. In the case of foods with Omega-3 fatty acids, they help promote good cholesterol and lower bad cholesterol. That is the limit of my knowledge about the nature of fat, and I'm not a doctor so I'm not going to tell you to eat more or less of it. Why is yours set at 20%? Did it come from a professional or reputable book?
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    This isn't an answer to your main question, but Skippy Natural still has added sugar and palm oil. If you enjoy peanut butter that much, it's worth the money to buy the really good stuff. It should have one ingredient: peanuts. Or two, if you like it salted.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Well you would probably about die over mine if you are worried about being over 20%, because like 50% of my calories come from fats, most of them unsaturated.
  • pinknsassyemt
    pinknsassyemt Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of avacado, I use it instead of mayo in tuna or chicken salad. I love almond butter, peanut butter and again it is all about portion. I use peanut oil for a lot of my cooking, and eat alot of fresh fish. However if you are still in child bearing age remember you should only have 3 servings a week.
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I never worry about fats... it's sugar that puts on the pounds!! I LOVE coconut.