Setting up macros

Options
Any idea how I determine what my macros should be ?

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    mfpjohn68 wrote: »

Please don't link to this crap. Somatotypes have been debunked, stop spreading nonsense.
  • AJ_G
    Options
    hrgal91910 wrote: »

Protein - 0.82 grams per lb of body weight
    Fat - 0.35 grams per lb of body weight
    Carbs - remaining calories
  • RedSquadronLeader
    RedSquadronLeader Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    @hrgal91910 That really depends on your goals, current level of fitness and if/how much/what type of exercise you plan on doing, and most importantly what types of food give you the most satisfaction (and nutrition, of course).

What are your stats and what's your lifestyle like?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,117 Member
    Options
    Why not just use the Myfitnesspal defaults? They work and are easy to adhere to. Unless you are an athlete training for some specific purpose or you have medical issues, they are sound guidelines. You can tweak them later. You're going to get advice that is all over the place asking such an open question on this site. :lol:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Mfp is fine...
  • AJ_G
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »

I should have clarified, the macros I gave are for maximizing muscle retention during weight loss, or maximizing muscle gain during a bulk. They should be accompanied by progressive overload resistance training. If those are not your goals, they can be tweaked to increase carbohydrates and decrease protein if you're going to be doing predominantly cardiovascular training. The fat goal is for overall health.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

This is wrong as well, the standard minimum for protein DRI (Dietary Reference Intake) is 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight, or 0.36 grams per pound.
    https://authoritynutrition.com/how-much-protein-per-day/

You are fine to start with the macros recommended by MFP when you set your goal. Then you can make adjustments based on your lifting goals, your diet plan, and what gives you satiety. What MFP gives would be the minimum goal.

• vjambois
    vjambois Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm going to jump in here as well because I've been wondering about MFP macro. Is the caloric goal that MFP sets your TDEE? So if the goal is to lose some weight, should one ignore the workout earned calories and not eat them back?
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Protein - 1 gram per lb of body weight lean mass
    Fat - 0.35 grams per lb of body weight ideal bodyweight

almost!
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,149 Member
    Options
    vjambois wrote: »
    I'm going to jump in here as well because I've been wondering about MFP macro. Is the caloric goal that MFP sets your TDEE? So if the goal is to lose some weight, should one ignore the workout earned calories and not eat them back?

MFP calories are NEAT, not TDEE.

If you are using various trackers (or the estimates from various machines), many will estimate that you only eat back a portion of the calories as some tend to overestimate the burn. If you are like me, I researched and made sure I was somewhat underestimating my calories for exercises that I entered and so I ate back most if not all my calories while I was losing. YMMV.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    What is your goal and why do you want to track macros? If it is to lose weight you just need to create a calorie deficit and stick to it.
  • vjambois
    vjambois Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    b3achy wrote: »

If you are using various trackers (or the estimates from various machines), many will estimate that you only eat back a portion of the calories as some tend to overestimate the burn. If you are like me, I researched and made sure I was somewhat underestimating my calories for exercises that I entered and so I ate back most if not all my calories while I was losing. YMMV.

So many acronyms!
  • b3achy
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Agree that if you are trying to lose weight, just focus for now on the calorie deficit. You will lose weight if your calories in are less than your calories burned, no matter your macro ratios. However, macros are good for help in balancing your nutrition for your health needs...so, it's good to start to figure that out as well.

OP, I found the ratio descriptions in this article helpful - https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/macro-math-3-keys-to-dialing-in-your-macro-ratios.html Yea, the Body Type info can be taken with a grain of salt, but the paragraph on ratio explanations helped me to figure out what was best for my own needs. I had to play with them a bit to get a good balance for my needs. I found the MFP defaults to be way too high in carbs for me, so I totally understand wanting to find a better balance, but not be totally random about it. YMMV.

Also, RDA and most guidelines for protein are MINIMUMs, and there is research supporting that these minimums may be inadequate for most people in general and especially inadequate for optimal health. There is also research that older folks need more protein (though if the RDA minimums are inadequate for all ages, it might just be that the RDA is too low in general), so your age may play a role in bumping up those protein minimums also.
    Evidence that Protein Requirements Have been Underestimated: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19841581
    Protein "Requirements" Beyond RDA: Implications for Optimizing Health: http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/full/10.1139/apnm-2015-0550#.WP9TL_krKM8
    Evidence-Based Recommendations for Optimal Dietary Protein Intake for Older People (>65yo): http://www.jamda.com/article/S1525-8610(13)00326-5/fulltext
  • b3achy
    edited April 2017
    Options
    b3achy wrote: »

So many acronyms!

Indeed...but good ones to look up and learn as you will see them regularly here and on other sites... ;)

MFP: MyFitness Pal

NEAT: Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis - is the energy expenditure of all physical activities other than volitional exercise. It's the unplanned (or unstructured) low-intensity physical activity that we engage in every day. NEAT is basically non-exercise that burns calories.
    {Note: what you include in your logs as exercise will depend on what level you set your personal "NEAT" to be - if you set it to "sedentary", you can include a lot more activities to be "exercise"; if you have it set to "active", you may not want to include things such as normal housekeeping activities as exercise as they may already be included in your activity level. Use a modicum of common sense and follow one of the biggest rules of weight loss: "Don't fool thyself" (because it's only you that you'd be fooling).}

TDEE: Total Daily Energy Expenditure - is the amount of calories that your body will burn in a 24-hour period. It factors in your sleep, work, exercise, and normal daily activity.

YMMV: Your Mileage May Vary - just because it works for someone else posting, doesn't mean that it will work for you and you may have different results doing the same thing.