Job making it feel impossible to lose weight

Options
2»

Replies

• Josyurtos23
    Josyurtos23 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I have issues with food given at work. I feel no one washes their hands properly and coughs and sneezes all over it therefore I will not touch it if it's public. If someone hands me something personally then I will politely say "thank you I'll have some in a little bit"and put a napkin over it, put it aside until I can toss it later on.

Hope this helps
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    If you have an hour and a half that you can go home and eat lunch and do chores, you probably have time to work out then, too.
  • sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    Trash can for the drug reps food gifts.

Or, since wasting food while others go hungry is to say the least unkind, send it to the nearest homeless shelter.

If it's hot/prepared foods, or fresh-baked goods (not pre-packaged), most homeless shelters aren't set up to take it/ redistribute it. There are really sad, strict laws against them doing that in many cities, too (health code violations.)

Sometimes, the garbage is the only place it fits - it doesn't fit into your diet, your coworkers don't want it or can;t finish it, it doesn't keep well in the fridge. If the only place it can actually go is into the belly of someone who wants to eat LESS food, or into the garbage can, then into the garbage can it goes. I had to re-learn my idea of "wasting" food to realize that food that is more than I want that also can't get to someone else who does want it, it's equally wasteful to shove it down my throat and then gain unwanted calories for it, as it is to put it in the garbage can. The key is to stop the food waste from coming in before it gets to you, IE find a way to tell the people bringing it, thanks but no thanks, or when buying food for yourself, to just not buy too much.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    For the drug rep food, you can take a moral stance in your mind. Tell yourself that they are bribing you with free food while charging your patients $500 a month for their prescriptions. That would be enough to turn my stomach.
    (FYI, not looking to get into an argument about affordable health care, just helping the OP find a good reason to say no thanks.)
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I think planning is really the key - you have a lot of variables, but you can work with them!

For the fast food places and restaurants around you - these don't have to undo your day. Pick a few go-to items you like and memorize the calorie/nutrition info. Pair them with lower calorie items you keep at work.
    McDonalds - I like breakfast foods always, so I get an egg McMuffin (300ish cals) and eat it with an apple or veggies and dip. Or, I'll leave some vegetable soup at my desk and grab some McNuggets to go with it.
    Qdoba - I have a burrito bowl order I always get. The calories are a little higher than my regular lunches, but it keeps me full for a really long time. So, I know I'm going to be fine eating a lighter dinner.

I generally don't tell people about my weight loss activities, but there are times when it it might work in your favor. Let your coworkers know you're going to cut back on candy/sweets/pastries or want to eat lighter because you're training for a race, whatever it may be. Bring your own 100 calorie packs, portioned cheese and nuts, veggies, fruit, protein bars, jerky, etc. Offer to share. Maybe some coworkers will also get in on the lighter eating trend and bring fewer Reese's Cups to your desk. Maybe you can initiate a wellness challenge of some sort between coworkers.

Food prepping - since you have good intentions to leave for lunch, but don't always get to do it, you need to plan for that. Stash a frozen meal (pre-made or homemade) at work for emergencies. Pack a lunch then take it out of the office to eat it so you aren't interrupted.

Vendor days - portion control + volume from lower calorie foods. They're trying to make a sale, so mention foods you want to eat. They're paying attention. Donuts again? Too bad there's no fruit tray; That minestrone soup X group brought from the Olive Garden last week was so good! I could go for more of that. They're trying to make a sale and woo you, so mention foods you want to eat.
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    After reading and re-reading your post, I think you have gotten a lot of good advice but I also think perhaps, this is less about the presence of food in your workplace but more about your relationship with food. If food is a "reward" or a "comfort" when you are having a bad day or are stressed about something, then you need to be honest about that and find something else to use to de-stress. Exercise is an excellent way to deal with stress, as are: a hot bubble bath with candles and music, a massage, a manicure, a new pair of shoes, a facial, 30 minutes with a good book on a park bench, etc., etc., etc. Stop thinking of that Reeses peanut butter cup as something you "deserve" because you are "running ragged" and it will be easier to say no.

I was a paralegal for 17 years and we had vendors come in almost every day and leave warm chocolate chip cookies , popcorn and/or candy bars on our desks. I would take mine directly to the break room and leave it there for someone else to devour or it would go directly in the trash. Then I told my vendors to please stop bringing me food. I told them it would make me much happier if they would stop trying to sabotage my health and if they really wanted to do something for me, to donate some food to a homeless shelter in my name or make a charitable donation to the local orphanage at the end of the year. They listened, and they did it. Problem solved. You have to take control of your environment and your life and stop letting your environment control you.
  • qpmomma1
    qpmomma1 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I work in an office and I've started bringing my lunch. If I feel like I have to leave to get some peace I'll drive to a parking lot and eat in the car.
  • melodydee66
    melodydee66 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    At my last company, we put two boxes in the lobby. One was a food bank box and the other was a box for "socks, coats, warm clothes, etc.". There was a sign that read, in lie of gifts of appreciation, please consider donating to the food bank or homeless shelter. Due to food restrictions and allergies, we are no longer able able to accept gifts that are in the form of food/drink/candy, etc. Thank you for your consideration and your help in making this world a brighter place for those in need!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,940 Member
    Options
    I'd want to set boundaries with the staff and reps.

For your staff, I don't want to deprive them of the pleasure of nurturing you with food. What if you insist on healthy snacks, for example find a brand of protein bar you like and ask that they give you these instead of Reese's? (Caution, protein bar calories add up and many snack bars are just glorified candy bars.) And/or ask for fruit or nuts. (Note: nuts are easy to overeat!) I'm having a hardboiled egg with 15 g of roasted, salted sunflower seeds as a snack right now. I wanted something salty and this hits the spot.

For the reps, I do like the idea of depriving them from bribing you with food. Lots of good ideas above. Do you see the same reps consistently or is it a constant stream of new ones? I think you'd need different approaches for these different scenarios.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,940 Member
    Options
    At my last company, we put two boxes in the lobby. One was a food bank box and the other was a box for "socks, coats, warm clothes, etc.". There was a sign that read, in lie of gifts of appreciation, please consider donating to the food bank or homeless shelter. Due to food restrictions and allergies, we are no longer able able to accept gifts that are in the form of food/drink/candy, etc. Thank you for your consideration and your help in making this world a brighter place for those in need!

c510a5b234903542453f389c3f1cde9d_-meme-and-via-post-i-love-this-post-meme_236-281.jpeg
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I'd want to set boundaries with the staff and reps.

For your staff, I don't want to deprive them of the pleasure of nurturing you with food. What if you insist on healthy snacks, for example find a brand of protein bar you like and ask that they give you these instead of Reese's? (Caution, protein bar calories add up and many snack bars are just glorified candy bars.) And/or ask for fruit or nuts. (Note: nuts are easy to overeat!) I'm having a hardboiled egg with 15 g of roasted, salted sunflower seeds as a snack right now. I wanted something salty and this hits the spot.

For the reps, I do like the idea of depriving them from bribing you with food. Lots of good ideas above. Do you see the same reps consistently or is it a constant stream of new ones? I think you'd need different approaches for these different scenarios.

I think it would be perfectly fine for the OP to ask the staff not to offer food. It's not nurturing him/her, it's contributing to what they perceive as a problem with their weight issue.

The OP could suggest a kind word would be much more appreciated than food because they are trying to lose weight. That way nobody is deprived.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Been there and the struggle is real. My previous position was in a building that was constantly giving away free carb-y foods. Donuts, cake, ice cream, chips, etc were all readily available. Yeah, yeah, just say no, and I did, but that doesn't make the struggle any less real. :p
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    my first thought: if you want this, you need to stop making excuses. There will always be plenty of reasons why you can't do it. But you have to decide if you really want to make the weight loss, better health a priority. If so, then look for ways to make it happen.

Food brought in? You don't have to eat it. Each time you put food in your mouth, it is a choice. That does not mean you have to always avoid it either. Perhaps start prelogging/preplanning your food for the day so you'll know when you have room for extra calories from treats?