Cannot do squats!

Options
stv1520
stv1520 Posts: 199 Member
So-I've tried to do squats multiple times. I'm just terrible at them! My form is awful. It never feels right. I'm afraid of injuring my lower back again (had a herniation in 2002-still bothers me sometimes). I currently do the leg press. That's a good substitute for the squat, right?

Replies

• jenna762001
    jenna762001 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Have you attempted doing them facing a wall? It will force you to keep form. I struggle with squats and this helped me. Just go slowly and as low as you can without trouble. Keep at it and good form will stick.
  • ldwatene
    ldwatene Posts: 150 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Walking lunges and steps ups are probably a better full body substitute as these still require you to stabilize your core and back through the movement. You can do them with dumbells to increase the difficulty. I'd still keep leg presses though.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Leg presses (esp heavy) aren't all that "safe" for people with back injuries. There are different machine designs, so I can't say "all leg press is bad", but it's not automatically safe either.

I would try a sit-to-stand exercise as a way of getting more comfortable with a squat-type movement. The bench gives you a "landing strip" to take away some of the fear of falling, and if you "drive" yourself straight up from the "sit" rather than rolling the torso forward, it can be suitably challenging.
  • _Phill727
    _Phill727 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    Leg presses (esp heavy) aren't all that "safe" for people with back injuries. There are different machine designs, so I can't say "all leg press is bad", but it's not automatically safe either.

I would try a sit-to-stand exercise as a way of getting more comfortable with a squat-type movement. The bench gives you a "landing strip" to take away some of the fear of falling, and if you "drive" yourself straight up from the "sit" rather than rolling the torso forward, it can be suitably challenging.

This^ You cannot replicate the squat with a leg press or any other machine. Sit to stand sounds a bit strange but it will help you build the posterior chain strength you may be lacking. keep the heels down and slowly lower the sit height as you build strength
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    In addition to the previous advice, I want to share some advice from my lift-friendly coworker - squat while holding a small weight out in front of you, which helps to keep you balanced while going below parallel.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Try alternatives to work up to doing them: Goblet squats, Bulgarian split squats, Box squats. Even if you do them with just the bar until you feel your form has improved.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    What types of similar exercises can someone do with bad knees and their doc has said NO to squats, lunges, leg presses, etc? Anything out there that works the same muscles?
  • _Phill727
    _Phill727 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    What types of similar exercises can someone do with bad knees and their doc has said NO to squats, lunges, leg presses, etc? Anything out there that works the same muscles?

Find a new doctor.
    Hinging at the hip to lower ones position is essential for things like.. going to the bathroom.. or sitting down.

(obviously don't workout inflamed joints or go hit a heavy set of over head squats but even air or box squats are beneficial)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

It really depends on the diagnosis. I hate when people are just told "bad knees" because that is worse than meaningless. There are a number of exercises to try that can be done with limited knee flexion--which is usually the biggest issue. Without more details, I am reluctant to recommend anything specific.

It almost a cliche, but in your case, it would be best to get a referral to physical therapy where they could teach you exercises you can do with your specific condition.

• legsnbacon
    legsnbacon Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    If you can poop in the woods- you can squat.

Keep working at it. Squatting is something that you continually work in technically. It's never "right" and then your done. Always working.

What if you can't poop in the woods?
  • PrincessMel72
    Options
    _Phill727 wrote: »

Find a new doctor.
    Hinging at the hip to lower ones position is essential for things like.. going to the bathroom.. or sitting down.

(obviously don't workout inflamed joints or go hit a heavy set of over head squats but even air or box squats are beneficial)

This was an orthopedic surgeon...I kinda think he may know what he's talking about!
  • PrincessMel72
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

It really depends on the diagnosis. I hate when people are just told "bad knees" because that is worse than meaningless. There are a number of exercises to try that can be done with limited knee flexion--which is usually the biggest issue. Without more details, I am reluctant to recommend anything specific.

It almost a cliche, but in your case, it would be best to get a referral to physical therapy where they could teach you exercises you can do with your specific condition.

Thank you. Diagnosis is patellafemoral syndrome, both knees, severe. I went through PT for the pain some years back but doc said do anything other than squats, lunges and such for exercise, otherwise I'll be one of his younger knee replacement surgeries. The Physical Therapist told me to listen to the surgeon when it came to exercise and could really only show me knee-specific exercises to help with the pain of the condition.
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Who can't poop in the woods???? Pop a squat ... you'll get it
  • hinzee4
    hinzee4 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Check this out. It may help. There are lots of stuff on the internet about squat form. Good luck.
    http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/legs-exercises/4-biggest-squatting-myths
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    @indigoblue9572
    This person with "bad knees" can cycle (a lot!).
    I can leg press a reasonable amount, but frustratingly much less than I used to (only on some machines not others), squat only to a weight that makes the exercise pointless and lunge never. I can do leg extensions but would advise extreme caution as they do cause a lot of stress.

But my bad knees are highly unlikely to be the same as your bad knees. My capabilities have also changed enormously over the years with new injuries and a repair for some of the more minor ones.

Proper and specific diagnosis is the first step and the second step only follows from there.....
    The other side of the coin to "don't do this" should be "but you can do this". If you aren't getting that flip side you are seeing the wrong person.
  • PrincessMel72
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    @indigoblue9572
    This person with "bad knees" can cycle (a lot!).
    I can leg press a reasonable amount, but frustratingly much less than I used to (only on some machines not others), squat only to a weight that makes the exercise pointless and lunge never. I can do leg extensions but would advise extreme caution as they do cause a lot of stress.

But my bad knees are highly unlikely to be the same as your bad knees. My capabilities have also changed enormously over the years with new injuries and a repair for some of the more minor ones.

Proper and specific diagnosis is the first step and the second step only follows from there.....
    The other side of the coin to "don't do this" should be "but you can do this". If you aren't getting that flip side you are seeing the wrong person.

Yes, I do cycle as well (recumbent bike at our apartment complex gym, 30-45 mins per day, 5-7 days per week). Surgeon diagnosed me with severe patellafemoral syndrome in both knees and sent me to PT. PT helped with knee-specific, pain and inflammation reducing exercises and told me to follow the advice of the surgeon. Surgeon said I can do pretty much any other exercise than squats, lunges and leg presses, as that puts far too much pressure on my knees and he didn't want to see me as one of the younger knee replacement surgeries on his roster.

My poorly worded question: what types of exercises that show the same benefits as squats and lunges, can one do with knees like mine after surgeon said NO squats and lunges?
  • Elijah8468
    Elijah8468 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Try using the Smith machine to help. You can work on your form with help then slowly work off it. Plus you can move your feet forward a little more to help with the descend
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I hired a professional body builder when I got back into this and this paid off immensely. I searched out a trainer specifically to focus on form. Not sure if this is in your budget, but I highly recommend it if you can.