How much should I pay my kid?

Options
Cameron_1969
Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
edited April 2017 in Chit-Chat
It's time for my 10 year old to pay for his own trips to sky-zone. . Conveniently, he's now tall enough to operate my lawn mower!

So. .my question is. How much does one pay an 11-year-old to mow the lawn? . I pay a lawn company $20 and it takes them 15 minutes. . It would take him 45 mins - an hour. .But, $20/hour is pretty darn high for a kid (minimum wage is $8)!

I want him to feel rewarded for hard work, but I don't want to over-pay him either. Keep in mind, I'm asking for opinions on what is best for him as a way to learn about life and the value of work. It's not about saving money for myself.

Replies

• kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I would say $10 seems fair.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Pulling up a chair and grabbing some popcorn on this one. Also brushing up on my internet arguments of minimum wage and child labor.
  • nrbutton
    nrbutton Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    If you pay someone else $20 to mow your lawn and that would be a normal rate in your area, I think that would be perfectly reasonable to pay your son the same amount.

My kids love Internet games so when they want a new game they get "store credit" for their chores and extra help around the house and yard. Once they've earned enough I purchase the game for them. It teaches hard work for pay and the importance of saving up for bigger purchases. My son just recently helped me clear tree limbs and wood from our yard and combined 2 hours of yard work with birthday money to buy Ultimate battle simulator on his computer :)
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    I would pay him the same as the lawn company. $20. Because he would be doing the same work, and working hard. Remember he will most likely give you 45-60 mins and the gardener is just giving you 15 mins.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I would pay $0.

My preference is to give an allowance for the sake of allowance. Chores are something kids should be doing to learn that living requires work and not all work, especially around the house, is paid. That being said, I'm from a place where hardly anyone pays someone else to mow the lawn (heck, we do our own renos too haha). So if I'm not being paid to mow my lawn, neither will my child. Just like I wouldn't pay them to clean their rooms or help make dinner. But I understand every household is different.

I guess I would top out at $5 if I did decide to pay. But... I'm cheap...

I agree $20 seems way too high (you're the one still paying for the gas in the mower as well as maintenance). You could base it on the quality of the work if you wanted. If he rushes it and it looks bad, $10 (or $5 if you have to redo parts), if he does a good job, $15. If he does a good job and rakes up the clippings $20. Give him some options as to how much it's worth to him.
  • Muscle_for_Fitness
    Muscle_for_Fitness Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    I would give $15 with an option to go up to $20 if the job is done up to the standard that the lawn company was providing. That should give him incentive to do a good job and not just rush through. You may also want to make him pay for the gas for the lawnmower (or half of it) to teach him a little about operating expenses.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    My kids get an allowance. This is to help them learn to manage money (save/spend/give). They are also expected to help out around the house, including yard work once they're old enough. We don't pay them extra for it; it's all part of their expected contribution to the family. Their allowance does increase as they get older and more is expected of them, though.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    We had regular chores as kids but if we wanted to earn extra money, we'd do something that wasn't part of the regular routine. Raking leaves, washing our parent's car, mowing the lawn, etc. It's the only way kids can actually learn that working hard can result in earning money!! I'd say give him $10 if this is a chore above and beyond his normal ones.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    More importantly, where can I find a lawn guy for $20?

I'll mow your ..... lawn, if thats what you want to call it, for $20.00.

Come to think of it, I'll pay you $20.00 for the privilege.
  • texasleahgirl
    texasleahgirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    He is using your tools and fuel so he shouldn't get full rate. But no matter what rate you pay him be sure to teach him to save 10% first so he will develop a habit for saving money instead of spending every dollar he earns. Make a big deal about opening a bank account and taking a trip to the bank, let him talk to the teller etc.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    $10, but charge $20 for the gasoline and use of the lawn mower. It's a good life lesson. Another day older and deeper in debt.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Here's a thought outside of paying him hourly.

Hourly wage: $10 an hour seems fair. Have him track his hours, then pay him each week like a real job. (However, he has no reason, or reward to work harder to get the job done faster)

Per-week: You could pay him a flat rate of $20 per week to take care of the lawn (regardless of how many times he’d have to mow it in a week). He can take as long as he wants or as short but until the job gets done.

Or.... how much do trips to sky zone cost? Pay him around what he would probably spend doing that. So one or two jobs equals a trip to sky zone.

• Motorsheen
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    More importantly, where can I find a lawn guy for $20?

I'll mow your ..... lawn, if thats what you want to call it, for $20.00.

Come to think of it, I'll pay you $20.00 for the privilege.

Are you sure? I'm pretty particular about my "lawn"

I'll take my time and give it my full attention.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    $10, but charge $20 for the gasoline and use of the lawn mower. It's a good life lesson. Another day older and deeper in debt.

This.... plus tax his income at 30%
  • Cameron_1969
    Options
    nrbutton wrote: »
    If you pay someone else $20 to mow your lawn and that would be a normal rate in your area, I think that would be perfectly reasonable to pay your son the same amount.

My kids love Internet games so when they want a new game they get "store credit" for their chores and extra help around the house and yard. Once they've earned enough I purchase the game for them. It teaches hard work for pay and the importance of saving up for bigger purchases. My son just recently helped me clear tree limbs and wood from our yard and combined 2 hours of yard work with birthday money to buy Ultimate battle simulator on his computer :)

I'm anticipating a certain learning period. . I'm guessing he will be take upwards of 14 breaks. . Also, he will assuredly miss huge areas that "he didn't know he had to do" . etc. . So maybe I'll put him on a graduated scale where I increase the pay as the quality goes up. . Or maybe I'll pay him $20 but charge him $2 per break. .

Also, keep in mind he's not paying for gas and he's not doing the edging or the weedeating b/c he's not quite tall enought to handle a gas-powered weed-eater (next year). . I wonder if they make those for kids?. .

My kid will spend most of his money on sky-zone trampoline park and the skate park. He will also spend some on iPad games and various Fad knick-knacks like 'fidget spinners' . . of which he currently owns 5. .

• Cameron_1969
    Options
    HyeKarma wrote: »
    I would pay him the same as the lawn company. $20. Because he would be doing the same work, and working hard. Remember he will most likely give you 45-60 mins and the gardener is just giving you 15 mins.

True, but he won't be paying for equipment and he also won't be doing the edging or weedeating. . Still, $20 would certainly motivate him. . Maybe I'll pay him $20 if he does the mowing and weed's the plant-beds.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    nrbutton wrote: »

I'm anticipating a certain learning period. . I'm guessing he will be take upwards of 14 breaks. . Also, he will assuredly miss huge areas that "he didn't know he had to do" . etc. . So maybe I'll put him on a graduated scale where I increase the pay as the quality goes up. . Or maybe I'll pay him $20 but charge him $2 per break. .

Also, keep in mind he's not paying for gas and he's not doing the edging or the weedeating b/c he's not quite tall enought to handle a gas-powered weed-eater (next year). . I wonder if they make those for kids?. .

My kid will spend most of his money on sky-zone trampoline park and the skate park. He will also spend some on iPad games and various Fad knick-knacks like 'fidget spinners' . . of which he currently owns 5. .

Electric weed eaters are decent now, a lot better than they used to be. Lighter and much easier for a smaller person to use. We have an electric one that I use all the time and a gas-powered one I never touch. My husband breaks it out for the big jobs.
  • Cameron_1969
    Options
    I think $10.00-$15.00 is fair. Some will say $20.00 but companies charge for for lack of business/maintenance of tools ect.

Exactly! . .And also, people who are working for a living typically don't have their food and lodging and transportation and bills and clothing everything else paid for by their employer!
  • Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    It's time for my 10 year old to pay for his own trips to sky-zone. . Conveniently, he's now tall enough to operate my lawn mower!

So. .my question is. How much does one pay an 11-year-old to mow the lawn? . I pay a lawn company $20 and it takes them 15 minutes. . It would take him 45 mins - an hour. .But, $20/hour is pretty darn high for a kid (minimum wage is $8)!

I want him to feel rewarded for hard work, but I don't want to over-pay him either. Keep in mind, I'm asking for opinions on what is best for him as a way to learn about life and the value of work. It's not about saving money for myself.

Make him do a bit more.

$5 For mowing
    $5 for doing laundry
    $5 for doing the washing up

Reserve for other good deeds
    $5