Idk how I'm going to do this

Options
I'm new. Today I went to the doctor because I sprained my thumb. I was weighed and was so schocked at my weight. This is the biggest I've ever been in my life. I'm so scared and sad.

I'm 24, about to be 25 in May and I'm getting married soon. I'm so ashamed of my weight.

Thanks for listening guys. Any words of advice or anything anyone has done that has worked for them in the past would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Can't do anything about the past so try to not let that destroy your progress now.

Focus on smaller changes that you can sustain. I know you probably want to be thin for your wedding, but you also don't want to gain it all back afterwards.

Pick a small calorie deficit, start exchanging healthy picks for unhealthy picks. Start drinking more water and the changes will add up!
  • lifeisahighway
    lifeisahighway Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Hey. I'm sorry you're scared and sad. Congratulations on your wedding. I know you can do this. We are here with you, so you are not alone. I'm gonna add you.
  • Xymheia
    Xymheia Posts: 65 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Hey, welcome. Thumb injuries suck, I hope it gets better soon. :)

Please don't feel ashamed of your weight, everyone has a unique starting point in their journey to lifelong fitness and health. What I've found that really works well to lose weight is making changes to your eating routine combined with cardio training and weight training. Don't go overboard though. Let me help you:

1) Start with drinking water and sugar free tea instead of soft drinks and fruit juice. A daily cup of coffee is fine, but try not to take more than 2 per day and reduce sugar/milk.

2) Eat 5 times per day, it's not necessary, but it can help prevent feeling hungry and low energy. This simply means breakfast, lunch, dinner and 2 snacks. Choose healthy snacks like carrots with hummus, Greek yogurt, a piece of fruit or a small hand of nuts. They help prevent cravings between your meals. If you're pressed for time in the morning perhaps you can try breakfast smoothies or overnight oats. Also, you can prepare meals in advance and freeze them for later use.

3) Choose sugar free (= no added sugar) and fresh foods, avoid condiments and other processed foods. Take your time to learn how to cook and prepare meals with fresh food. Healthy carbs are (but not limited to) brown rice, quinoa, couscous, bulgur, whole grain wheat, oats, sweet potato and potato. Carbs are also found in fruits and vegetables. Make sure that you eat a varied diet which has all the nutrients you need. Don't bother with restrictive diets. A food scale can help you learn portion sizes, e.g. 100 g meat at dinner, 50 g dry rice, etc.

4) Calculate your total daily expenditure (TDEE, you can find calculators online) and subtract 15 percent of that. This is how many calories you should be eating approximately to lose weight at a healthy rate (1 kg per month is healthy). Weigh yourself once a week and write it down to keep track of how you're doing. Don't worry about it too much though, slow and steady wins the race. When you've reached your target weight (don't go too low), recalculate your TDEE and slowly increase the number of calories you eat to this level (50 kcal extra a day for a week and repeat) to prevent overeating and regaining too much.

5) Find a sport or type of exercise that you enjoy doing. Aim to do 1 hour of some activity a day and ideally do both strength and cardio type training (the latter is everything like cycling, fast or hill walking, indoor climbing, rowing, etc.), 2 sessions of both per week works well. Make sure that you train your entire body. It's best to have a trainer help you create a schedule and check your posture.

All the best.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    Xymheia wrote: »
    Hey, welcome. Thumb injuries suck, I hope it gets better soon. :)

Please don't feel ashamed of your weight, everyone has a unique starting point in their journey to lifelong fitness and health. What I've found that really works well to lose weight is making changes to your eating routine combined with cardio training and weight training. Don't go overboard though. Let me help you:

1) Start with drinking water and sugar free tea instead of soft drinks and fruit juice. A daily cup of coffee is fine, but try not to take more than 2 per day and if you're used to drinking them with milk and sugar try to reduce the amounts you're using.

2) Eat 5 "meals" a day, don't feel intimidated though: this simply means breakfast, lunch, dinner and 2 snacks. Try to eat a little bit of protein, carbohydrates and fat with every meal. The snacks (choose healthy ones like carrots with hummus, Greek yogurt, a piece of fruit or a small hand of nuts) help prevent cravings in between meals. If you're pressed for time in the morning perhaps you can try breakfast smoothies or overnight oats. Also, you can prepare meals in advance and freeze them for later use.

3) Make sure that the foods you choose are sugar free and fresh and avoid condiments and other processed foods. Ease into it, if you're used to eating take-out or instant foods, take your time to learn how to cook and prepare meals with fresh fruits, vegetables, meat/chicken/tofu/lentils and healthy carbohydrates (carbs). Healthy carbs are (but not limited to) brown rice, quinoa, couscous, bulgur, whole grain wheat, oats, sweet potato and potato. Carbs are also found in fruits and vegetables. Don't bother with crazy diets, a balanced diet works best. It's about your daily energy intake compared to your energy use anyway. Make sure that you get all the nutrients your body needs, many women get too little iron because it's hard to eat 15 mg a day even if you're not a vegetarian. If you're concerned about any nutrient, get your blood tested at a doctor's office. Also be careful with vitamin supplements, they sometimes have overdoses of nutrients you don't need extra of and some are contaminated with heavy metals.

4) Calculate your total daily expenditure (TDEE) and subtract 15 percent of that. This is how many calories you should be eating to lose weight at a healthy rate (1 kg per month is healthy). Weight yourself once a week and write it down to keep track of how you're doing. Don't worry about it though, slow and steady wins the race. Use your TDEE to help plan your meals and snacks. If calculating your TDEE and meal planning seems to much right now, start with learning portion sizes and eyeballing quantities: a portion of meat is 100 g (at dinner), carbs 50 g dry weight of rice/pasta/couscous (at dinner), fruit: 1 banana, 1 apple or 2 kiwi's, and fat 5 g (approximately a spoon) which is 45 kcal. Use a food scale whenever possible, especially for the carbs, rather than cups and spoons. In addition, tracking what and how much you eat is very effective because many people underestimate their intake.

5) Find a sport or type of exercise that you enjoy doing. If you can and feel like it, also add 2-3 bodyweight workouts or weight training sessions per week (train both lower and upper body, pushing and pulling in either case). It's best to do this with someone who can teach you proper movement, such as a personal trainer. Rowing, swimming, cycling, indoor climbing, etc. are all great cardio exercises. Aim for (eventually) one hour of activity per day, and keep at least one day off between your strength sessions and two if you're very sore, you can do light cardio or walking on these 'off' days. NB: one hour of activity per day might also mean that you'll need to eat a tiny bit more. Be aware of your body, if your periods become irregular or cease altogether or you find yourself fatigued/irritable, etc, reduce your activity level slightly and eat a bit more, if your periods remain irregular, get it checked.

6) When you've reached your target weight which should not be below a BMI of 19, recalculate your TDEE and slowly increase the number of calories you eat until you're at your new TDEE. A method that is commonly used is adding 50-100 kcal per day for a week, and repeat until you're at your TDEE.

All the best.

good freaking lord! this would make me throw in the towel. WAY TO COMPLICATED!!!! good lord, i'm exhausted reading it.

its not that hard. wonder where the heck this is found for a copy and paste on google. *insert eye rolling emoji here*
  • Xymheia
    Xymheia Posts: 65 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I took quite a long time writing that, no copy paste here ;), but I realize that it might have looked quite daunting so I've simplified it.
  • cassglass
    cassglass Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Excellent advice from Xymheia. It takes a while to learn. Basically, eat fresh food, drink water, journal what you are eating, and reduce your calorie intake.