Jogging/Running and Calf Pain

Options
2»

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely going to invest soon in getting proper running shoes. I didnt mean necessarily a brand-name, but just inserts for the immediate time. A really good pair of shoes, I dont know what it would cost and I don't want to waste anyone's time in a shop if I'm not buying them that day. A little support is better than what I have now but its just temporary.

I disagree. It could make it worse. For example, if you underpronate and you get inserts designed to correct overpronating, then you enhance the problem. Of course you could end up getting something that does help but I personally wouldn't risk it. I've had IT band issues and achillies issues in the past and I can tell you it is not much fun to sit on the sidelines.

Good luck.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    If you are planning on running for the long haul I would highly recommend running shoes. They cost anywhere from $129-179 but it makes a HUGE difference for support and gait. Some brands I like are Saucony, Asics or Brooks.

Like @dewd2 said little support could make it worse.
  • natruallycurious
    natruallycurious Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely going to invest soon in getting proper running shoes. I didnt mean necessarily a brand-name, but just inserts for the immediate time. A really good pair of shoes, I dont know what it would cost and I don't want to waste anyone's time in a shop if I'm not buying them that day. A little support is better than what I have now but its just temporary.

I was worried about the price of getting new shoes too, but they were the first thing I bought myself when I decided I wanted to start taking this more seriously. I notice a huge difference in how my legs feel with my running shoes, and am now at the point where I'm running a little over 3 miles 3-4 times a week (started with couch to 5k, am working on increasing to 4 miles for a race next weekend, and then will eventually start training for a 10k). If you end up getting shoes, I would also recommend keeping track of the miles you put on them. I use MapMyRun. It syncs with MFP, and you can put your gear in there and it will keep track of the miles you put on them. It's especially nice because you put in your specific kind of shoe, and it gives you the number of miles recommended for the shoes. I personally got a pair of Brooks and spent around $150. Well worth it!

Like everyone said, going to a dedicated running store helps tremendously. I have virtually no arch and tend to roll my feet in a little. The people at the store have you walk/jog on a treadmill and record your gait. This helps them analyze the types of shoes that are best for you! I wouldn't go to a sporting goods store and just pick out a pair of shoes on your own. It's easy to think you are getting a good pair of running shoes because they are $150, but they still may not be what you need.

Good luck!
  • WhitneyDurham777
    WhitneyDurham777 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Be careful changing the way you land. Many will tell you that landing on your heal is a bad idea (there's some truth to this). My thoughts are always land the way you land. Once your stride and posture is correct then the rest will take care of itself. Purposely changing your foot strike will only move the impact (and the injury risk) from one part of your body to another.

Agree to disagree. Though changing strike might cause problems for some. I have seen it clear up a number of injuries for others. The fastest Marathoners in the world all use different strikes. Hitting the heel moves the impact to the knees while a forefoot strike increases the chance of injury to the calf and increases the chance of plantar fasciitis. I like to call my running the technique of 100 different foot strikes. When I feel a little bit of niggle in one area of my leg I change my strike and am able to reduce the stress on that area. I wear a very neutral shoe. Actually I have about a dozen shoes each with unique characteristics. It seems like the thing though that has reduced the amount of injuries that I have gotten from running the most is years and years of running.
  • FaeryLove18
    FaeryLove18 Posts: 41 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @dewd2
    Thanks for the advice. I'll be headed to my local running place, hopefully soon. Can't fork over too much now so unfortunately I'll have to put it off. Going to keep doing more research so when everything aligns I'll be ready. :)

Also to everyone else thanks a lot. I've learned and will pay more attention to what I'm doing from now on. I don't want any injuries because I don't heal fast like other people and don't need anymore ouchies, especially with my legs.
  • ukhobnob1
    ukhobnob1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I started running, thought it was the shoes so I went to Endurance House here in Indi and got hooked up to a machine. I am a heel lander, which isn't a huge deal if you get the correct shoes, which I did. AND.... it didn't make a blind bit of difference haha. I got shin splints, feet went numb. You name it I got it. I was doing the C25K and made it to W2D3 and had to quit. I honestly believe most of the issue was my weight. I then joined Lifetime Fitness and joined a Team Fitness group. We meet 4x week, first time she said.. "Run in Zone 3 for 10mins" I thought I was going to die.... but I had lost 13lbs and lo and behold my legs and feet were fine. My trainer kept coming over and asking how my legs were etc and oddly they were ok. So, while I am not saying do not get a good pair of shoes.. as it really is a must have if you are seriously considering running there could also be other issues etc including weight. The more weight I lose the better my legs and feet feel. I also never went back to the C25K and do my running on the treadmill doing Intervals mostly and I think that also helps me. Just be careful though, as if you do seriously damage your legs it could take months to get back to where you are now. If it helps my shoes were $130. I was expecting more... a decent pair can range from $100-200.
  • yancystreet
    yancystreet Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Good job!

When I started my return to running, I followed the advice given by Jeff Galloway over at runner's world - his main idea is the run/walk method. Search it up - it has had me running for 3 years with zero injuries.

As far as shoes, yes they are important. runners world has recommendations for each tyoe of runner and they usually list the ones good for beginners. You can usually find them discounted online, I have even bought last years versions to get a bigger deal.
  • JessM822
    JessM822 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Changing your strike is actually extremely common. Some of the best coaches in the world publish excersises for that purpose. How about you talk with a marathoner or an triathlete to get advice. Go to your local running store or tri store and speak to someone that actually lives the lifestyle. Some of the stuff in the posts above is just ridiculous. Everyone's body is different and reacts in different ways. Look for what works for you.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    As opposed to the marathoner and ultrarunner suggesting that it's unwise...

So what's your road marathon PB???
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Edit:

Never mind, what's the point.

Yes, for those who care, I do run marathons...
  • Valsgoals
    Valsgoals Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You mentioned you wanted to get inserts because the cost of getting a good pair is not something you can do right now. You also mentioned you didn't want to go to a running store and waste their time. I completely disagree. I would go there to get their opinion. Heck, sign up for a their mailers. Running shoes are like cars, they have different models coming out all the time, making it necessary to clear out (put on sale) the older models. In the meantime, see what they say, pronate/over/under, etc. They do sell inserts in places like that. Most places like that would rather sell you the shoe but if it is a store dedicated to running they'll likely understand and help you get an insert to hold you over until you can come back for a full set of shoes. I got a running injury and I know it had a lot to do with me temporarily using the wrong shoe. I didn't use that shoe for running so much but cross training. Still it was clearly the wrong shoe. Anyway, after a long time being down I am slowly building myself back up again. Drewd2 is right, you only get one set of legs/feet. Be nice to them. Those foam roller thingies work wonders along with lots of stretching.
  • FaeryLove18
    FaeryLove18 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    @ukhobnob1
    Thanks for sharing your story. I thought about that the other day, weight that is. I am on a weight-loss journey but to making lifestyle changes too and I wondered if because I'm heavier I'll keep having those extra pains until I really start shedding the pounds. Yeah, I guessed good shoes would be minimum of 100 or more dollars. I've saving for my summer semester and every bit has to go for school. So I'll try to get them then. Right now my shoes are okay and I'm going to stick about a mile only every other day. Hopefully by then I've lost some weight and I'll be able to get some better shoes. But yes, you I think some pounds off will do me good all the way around. :)
  • Ms_Chai
    Ms_Chai Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I feel that good shoes are a must. I personally like Brooks, and I buy the same type each time. I have found the proper shoe for me. Whenever I try another brand or even a different "support" of Brooks I get a lot of foot and calf pain. Also, I recommend taking your time and listen to your body. If you let yourself enjoy this process of learning to run and building up this new skill, you are much more likely to be doing it long-term. Good luck and have fun!