Jogging/Running and Calf Pain

Options
Today, for the first time ever, I jogged over 3 miles and actually did 7 miles. I did half in morning and the other in the afternoon. I normally can only do about 1-2 miles because my calves hurt and get so tight I feel like I might tumble over. But sometimes the pain is legit between my calf and ankle. I'd love to keep the progress up. My mind is great and the motivation is there...but that tense feeling stops me every time.

Is there a certian way to be running/jogging? Special shoes... or am I just unlucky? I'd definitely appreciate some advice to curb the leg tension. I'm still a beginner. Thanks :)

Replies

• mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    First, find the right shoes for your foot. If you don't have the proper arch support you will continue to have this issue. http://www.runningshoesguru.com/best-running-shoes-wizard/ Second, make sure you are stretching before and after EVERY Run. http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention/how-to-take-care-of-your-calves I read everything I could about running when I first started and found that I only run every other day, stretch like crazy, and then work on other muscle groups outside of my legs on rest days. I need the recovery.

Best of luck to you. It's great when you get to going on the right path.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason that as a beginner you're running twice a day?
  • FaeryLove18
    FaeryLove18 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

I wasn't intending to jog twice a day (today) and it won't be an everyday thing for sure. Today I really wanted to see if I could because I had the energy. I want to stick to maybe 1-3 miles every other day, maximum until my health is better and my strength is up more. I asked because I don't know anyone who runs/jogs personally so I thought it best to get some advice.

I think I will definitely need better shoes or also maybe some dr. Scholl's or something in the meantime. I don't want to stop progress, but certianly don't want to get injured either. :)

dewd2 wrote: »
    Wow. You more than doubled your distance in one day? That is a great way to get injured. No more than 10% increase in total distance per week. Any more and your calf pain could be much more than just sore muscles.

Correct shoes are important. Have you been to a real running store? If not, get to one and get a gait analysis done. Get proper shoes.

Basic form for running includes things like keeping your stride short. Your feet should land below you (not out in front). Keep your body upright and relaxed. Swing your arms parallel with your legs (not across your body) and work on keeping your cadence quick. And keep it slow. You should be able to sing during most of your runs.

Good luck.

YES, I will definitely take it slow, as I don't want any injuries. Maybe just too over eager to keep going and won't make that decision again.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    But sometimes the pain is legit between my calf and ankle.

Do you mean your Achilles tendon near your heel, or is it the calf muscle itself? Those are two different issues.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    But sometimes the pain is legit between my calf and ankle.

Do you mean your Achilles tendon near your heel, or is it the calf muscle itself? Those are two different issues.

I was going to ask the same thing. If your calf is super tight, you may need to A. stretch it, B. strengthen it, C. massage it. D. all of the above. If your achilles is tight, you'll need to stretch it and do exercises to help loosen it.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    As @dewd2 says, you can't increase too fast. If you do you're just asking for what's called an over-use injury. 10% a week is the suggested maximum. As an example, if you're running 1 mile a day for 5 days a week then you could either increase that to 1.1 miles a day for 5 days, or add a 6th day running a half mile, the next week. This slow progression allows your body, especially your joints, to adapt to the pounding they take when you run.

If the soreness is in your muscle that's not usually a big deal. Just do some light stretching and get a foam roller and roll out the muscles that are sore after you run, or get a massage if you can afford it.

If the pain is in a tendon then it's likely tendinitis. If so you can try icing it, but generally once you get it the only way to get rid of it is to stop, or at least significantly reduce, whatever caused it, in this case running.
  • WhitneyDurham777
    WhitneyDurham777 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Normally pain in the calf or ankle is associated with a fore foot strike. Switching to land on the heals can some times help this. If you do this I would recommend a shoe with really good heal cushioning.
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your accomplishment! Other people have covered most of your question, so I just wanted to hop in and ask if you've considered the Couch 2 5K or Couch 2 10K programs? They're a pretty surefire way to increase your distance and they do so gradually so you hopefully don't end up injured from trying to do too much too soon. No reason to get hurt if you don't have to!
  • FaeryLove18
    Options
    @Cherimoose @brittyn3
    I think it is close to my ankles more than my calf really, but sometimes the whole area will be tight. When I feel it as I am jogging, I do stop and massage the area and take a minute to let it ease up.

@GaryRuns
    I don't think it's tendinitis, or I hope not. And I won't be going that fast until my body, as you and others have stated, has become more used to the pressure and pounding while running.

@WhitneyDurham777
    Thats what i was thinking too. I feel more sore in my heels after I finish. During, like i said the calf/ankle hurt, but after I take a rest and massage, I can finish. I gotta find a place that sells the proper stuff so I can keep getting better.

Thanks everyone for all the help, I will certianly take this to heart. :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I think it is close to my ankles more than my calf really, but sometimes the whole area will be tight. When I feel it as I am jogging, I do stop and massage the area and take a minute to let it ease up.

Sounds to me like there are a few issues here; flexibility, possibly muscular endurance possibly your shoes and possibly your running gait.

Easiest is to look to your shoes, what age are they and are they dedicated to running? You might benefit from a gait analysis to help identify an appropriate pair.

Personally I'd never encourage intentional effort to change your gait, as hinted at upthread.

As far as flexibility and strength are concerned, something like yoga might be beneficial, as might resistance training to compliment the running.
  • brittyn3
    Options
    Normally pain in the calf or ankle is associated with a fore foot strike. Switching to land on the heals can some times help this. If you do this I would recommend a shoe with really good heal cushioning.

I'd be careful about changing your form. Changing your strike will create more issues if done improperly. Use that as a last resort if all else fails. Go to a dedicated running shoe store and ask them to fit you with shoes based on your strike - pronation, supination, neutral.. etc. Just be sure to tell them if you're running on hard surface, soft, etc.

w2j58s9ltrze.jpg

Unless your running like:
    8wltvrae85l0.gif
    Mess with your natural form last :smile:

I get a little excited when new runners are born. Running is fantastic!!
  • FaeryLove18
    Options
    @MeanderingMammal
    Yeah, I thought about taking a yoga class to help with my flexibility. I used to dance when I was younger, but medical reasons got in the way. Lost some of my flexibility.

@brittyn3
    I'll make sure to tell them, if/when I find the right kind of place. I am excited about getting better the right way. I also do not flail all about such as those colorful fellows. Not anymore :p
  • brittyn3
    Options
    @MeanderingMammal
    Yeah, I thought about taking a yoga class to help with my flexibility. I used to dance when I was younger, but medical reasons got in the way. Lost some of my flexibility.

@brittyn3
    I'll make sure to tell them, if/when I find the right kind of place. I am excited about getting better the right way. I also do not flail all about such as those colorful fellows. Not anymore :p

haha, idk why - but that GIF kills me. I was totally kidding by the way.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

I wasn't intending to jog twice a day (today) and it won't be an everyday thing for sure. Today I really wanted to see if I could because I had the energy. I want to stick to maybe 1-3 miles every other day, maximum until my health is better and my strength is up more. I asked because I don't know anyone who runs/jogs personally so I thought it best to get some advice.

I think I will definitely need better shoes or also maybe some dr. Scholl's or something in the meantime. I don't want to stop progress, but certianly don't want to get injured either. :)

dewd2 wrote: »
    Wow. You more than doubled your distance in one day? That is a great way to get injured. No more than 10% increase in total distance per week. Any more and your calf pain could be much more than just sore muscles.

Correct shoes are important. Have you been to a real running store? If not, get to one and get a gait analysis done. Get proper shoes.

Basic form for running includes things like keeping your stride short. Your feet should land below you (not out in front). Keep your body upright and relaxed. Swing your arms parallel with your legs (not across your body) and work on keeping your cadence quick. And keep it slow. You should be able to sing during most of your runs.

Good luck.

YES, I will definitely take it slow, as I don't want any injuries. Maybe just too over eager to keep going and won't make that decision again.

Seriously, you only get one set of feet and legs. Once the damage is done it is hard to recover. Dr. Scholls would be the last thing on my list. Better shoes means one made for your gait (not a name brand, a type of shoe made for the particular way your run). It is very, very hard to self diagnose (and those stupid machines at the pharmacy are useless).
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    So I get calf and arch pain (flat arch) and I took some of the advice I saw in this thread during my run today to see if it would help.

1. As a btw to you, if you have feet pain in your arches, they go away after the first few days
    2. I ran with a straight back and shortened my stride, and saw an improvement in the tightness I felt in my calves because the impact began to distribute more to my thighs and glutes
    3. I did a more heel-toe motion and felt a difference for the better
    4. I streched more than I usually do, and it definitely helped some

Overall, I took the posters above me suggestions, and there were definite improvements without having bought new shoes or insoles. My legs weren't as sore as they normally are with the improvements and I actually ran a bit faster and better than usual as well.

I also take a bcaa powder after all my workouts and they help with soreness as well.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Be careful changing the way you land. Many will tell you that landing on your heal is a bad idea (there's some truth to this). My thoughts are always land the way you land. Once your stride and posture is correct then the rest will take care of itself. Purposely changing your foot strike will only move the impact (and the injury risk) from one part of your body to another.
  • FaeryLove18
    Options
    I'm definitely going to invest soon in getting proper running shoes. I didnt mean necessarily a brand-name, but just inserts for the immediate time. A really good pair of shoes, I dont know what it would cost and I don't want to waste anyone's time in a shop if I'm not buying them that day. A little support is better than what I have now but its just temporary.
  • elizabethcutler824
    elizabethcutler824 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    As someone who recently had a calf injury, I would definitely echo everyone's advice to take this gradually - calf injuries suck! It's also kind of a hard part of the body to stretch or even self-massage so I recommend searching on youtube for some easy videos to follow that will teach you effective but gentle calf stretches. You might also want to take a warm bath with epsom salts (you buy these super cheap at a drugstore, or get some Dr. Teals that is really soothing) to help your whole body recover as you adjust to a new physical routine. It's taken me a long time, but I finally realize that taking care of our bodies also includes proper recovery and self-care to avoid injury. Good luck!