When is it okay to leave your newborn?

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think people need to live and let live. She arranged for absolutely qualified care givers. Why is it anyone else's business?

Exactly. It's not like she left the kid with her crack dealer.

And why isn't anyone upset with her husband, who also left the baby?

ummm because the political landscape of this country wants to go back to the 1950s..

i blame mad men..

Leave Mad Men out of this! *shakes fist*

That show is awesome.

Honestly, though, people criticized me for taking my daughter to the mall when she was 10 days old. Because of course she was going to catch ebola from all the ebola germs in the mall.

Yeah, I had a few distant family memebers that had their jaw drop when they found out we took ours to Target when she was a little over a week. :noway:

I guess we need to put these babies in disenfected bubble wrap and keep them at attached to our hips 24/7.:huh:

Obviously. We must be flogged.

I would have taken her out sooner, but I wasn't up to it. And she didn't even get a cold the entire first year of her life.

Corn -- Mine turns 18 in a month. CPS can't touch me now!
  • DarthCeltic
    DarthCeltic Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    i think that people should watch a nurse give a newborn their first bath... its not delicate.. its somewhat rough and then think about what happens to a newborn boy at 7 days old.. then think about where the baby is born.. HOSPITAL.. where the sick people go..

I think the public out of brand new babies is just fine.. did i say go to africa and expose to ebola? no..
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, mama needs a break.
    Dealing with a newborn is exhausting... and it's their business. I have friends who go without their kids... and given the chance and having the proper care for my kiddos, I'd jump at the chance at a short adult vacation. She was probably refreshed and even more attentive to her baby after she came back from vacation. People need to stop being so judgmental.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I left my daughter overnight for the first time when she was 6 weeks old. I left her with her Grandmother, who I trust. After that one night of me going crazy worrying about her I waited until she was about 6 months. I still only leave her with her Grandmother and don't trust anyone else enough to watch her (shes almost 5).

I don't think it was selfish of her to go on vacation when she had a 10 week old, although I can't imagine ever being able to actually enjoy a vacation knowing I was not with my baby.
  • harleydall76
    harleydall76 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I'm not a parent, so I can't say I know the felling, but here is my 2 cents.

First, how long was she gone? I read it quickly and it doesn't say, just the he runs a tournament every summer. But didn't say how long she went for.

If it was a week, or even 10 days, I'd say let her be.

But if it was for the entire summer, then I would say she doesn't deserve that baby.

I realize for me, when I hear parents complain about their kids or saying they need to get away from them, it bothers me because I never got that far and I think people shouldn't take for granted what a blessing they were given. But again, a simple week or so vacation isn't that bad IMO.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Let's all find new fun ways to judge each other instead of making the best out of our own lives!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Wow, people are really judgmental. After carrying a kid for 9 months and then getting no sleep for ten weeks, I'd want a break, too. Not to mention that many woman often suffer from postpartum depression and sometimes just getting away from it helps.

Of course, if she was gone for a really long time, then why the hell did she have a kid?
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    According to the article, she was gone 6 days.
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options

First, how long was she gone? I read it quickly and it doesn't say, just the he runs a tournament every summer. But didn't say how long she went for.

But if it was for the entire summer, then I would say she doesn't deserve that baby.

I realize for me, when I hear parents complain about their kids or saying they need to get away from them, it bothers me because I never got that far and I think people shouldn't take for granted what a blessing they were given. But again, a simple week or so vacation isn't that bad IMO.
    You know what? I don't think it's up to you to decide who "deserves" their own baby.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I don't know of any golf tournament that lasts more and a few days -- maybe a week.

And, really, being a caregiver 24/7 to a baby who can't communicate, who cries for no reason you can figure out, losing sleep -- it's exhausting and sometimes the best thing you can do for your child is to take a break and come back refreshed.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    She stated it was for 6 days...

The fact she's getting backlash over this is a bit appalling. She's not a first time mother...she knows her own kids and the people she is leaving them with, so not quite sure what has anyone up in arms over this. The fact is had she taken the kid with her, then people would still claim irresponsibility for taking such a young baby on a trip. You just can't win.

If I want to take a vacation after giving birth, I'm going to too! And if anyone ever has a problem with that, they can keep it to themselves cuz their opinion of me is none of my business.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

You know what? I don't think it's up to you to decide who "deserves" their own baby.

^ This.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    the answer is to not have children.

i leave my dog for a week every year and no one thinks i'm a monster.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options

Where the hell were you with this advice 2 years ago?....I'm off to buy more damn diapers.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

FOR THE WINNNNNNNNNNNNNN
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I think couples' alone time is imperative for new parents, especially if it's a first child. It's a huge adjustment and a huge strain on the relationship. The woman did nothing wrong, and I don't even know why this is "news."
  • karabeara
    karabeara Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    To each their own... As long as the baby was left in the care of qualified people then I have no opinion on what those parents do.

Personally I wouldn't go away from my child for 6 days at that age. Heck I can't fathom more than a weekend away from our 6 year old but that's just how my husband and I are.
  • TheUglyFriend
    Options
    MY OPINION ON THE MATTER: Some mothers tend to get postpartum depression once a baby is born and you cant really help that your hormones change after you have a baby. Going on a small vacation when the baby is 10 weeks would be way better than not having a healthy connection with your baby.
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    The people getting down on the mother are probably envious that they don't have anyone to leave their baby with or the money to go on a vacation. I was breastfeeding and couldn't take a vacation away from my kids for several years. Would I have liked to? You bet your *kitten*. Doesn't make anyone a bad mother. Moms really need to lay off other moms, these "Mommy wars" the media likes to stir up are just sad. Unless someone is actually abusing their kids, we should all support each other.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Oh... I thought this was a discussion about when is it okay to leave your newborn in the car. Because that's just wrong. Unless you crack the windows and are really wasted.