Slim shakes

Does anyone use shakes as part of their weightloss journey? Have you found them beneficial? Do they work? I'm thinking of trying some shakes especially on the days I'm super busy and don't have time for breakfast or for a quick lunch.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I did SlimFast years ago here were my results.

- Did SlimFast until I got so bored I couldn't stand it anymore
    - Was hungry quite often because Slim Fast is a cheap product with lots of sugar.
    - Learned nothing about the eating habits that made me fat in the first place. That actually takes more effort
    - Quit Slim Fast and gained all the weight back because I made no permanent changes to my eating habits.

I get you are busy - we are all busy. Look into meal prepping, make a weeks worth of meals in one day. There are tons of ideas on the internet. Weight loss is calories in vs. calories out; reduce portions & you lose weight. Nothing magical about shakes.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    edited April 2017
    I find that drinking my meals doesn't fill me up at all.
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    I use meal replacement shakes and I love them. They do fill me up. I suppose different things work for different people but they are working for me. And I agree that they aren't magical. They're just a low calorie meal replacement. It's still about how many calories you take in during the day.
  • whatlunasaid
    whatlunasaid Posts: 173 Member
    edited April 2017
    I prefer to chew my calories rather than drink them, unless my appetite is low and I need the extra calories. I don't find SlimFast (if that is what you're talking about) to be great, because there is so much added sugar. To me it's basically low calorie junk food, and for so much sugar I would rather just be eating candy. But if your body responds okay to that sort of thing and it helps you keep to your goal, then it's fine! We are all different.

I typically go with homemade green smoothies (w protein powder), nuts and fruit, or protein bars when I'm pressed for time.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    edited April 2017
    I had 2 SlimFast drinks for breakfast today. 2g of sugar total for the two bottles, 40g protein, 360 calories. Maybe they used to be full of sugar, but they're not anymore. They're good protein drinks for me, so I use them. If they work for you, I don't see why you can't try them out.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    Personally, I am not a fan of shakes as they do not fill me up. But I do understand the use for those who do not like to eat much in the morning or just very busy in general.

But before i would buy, I'd look at www.labdoor.com for a quality shake. Also, you should realize, whether you eat or drink a meal, it all comes down to calories for weight loss.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    I replace a meal or two with shakes most days. It's just quick and convenient and I rarely feel hungry during the day so it's an easy way to get some protein up in me.
  • whatlunasaid
    whatlunasaid Posts: 173 Member
    @xLyric thanks for the info! I admit that my memories of slimfast are all from when my stepmother drank them years ago.
  • psuLemon
    @xLyric thanks for the info! I admit that my memories of slimfast are all from when my stepmother drank them years ago.

If you are going to try a shake, I'd stay away from slimfast. They are horribly rated and didn't even pass the heavy metals testing in independent analysis... https://labdoor.com/review/slimfast-original

In fact, of all the meal replacements, they are dead last: https://labdoor.com/rankings/meal-replacements
  • xLyric
    edited April 2017
    psuLemon wrote: »

If you are going to try a shake, I'd stay away from slimfast. They are horribly rated and didn't even pass the heavy metals testing in independent analysis... https://labdoor.com/review/slimfast-original

In fact, of all the meal replacements, they are dead last: https://labdoor.com/rankings/meal-replacements

It would be helpful if they actually let users know the numbers they found (unless I missed it somewhere). Somehow I doubt I'm going to get lead poisoning from it though. A lot of the bad rating comes from things like additives, too. What if I don't care about drinking aspartame, etc.? It all depends on why someone is drinking it. That website is not rating these drinks for people like me, basically.

Personally, I'm not trying to avoid anything but meat in my meals, I'm just trying to find the best protein to calorie ratio with the least amount of cost and work involved, and right now that's SlimFast, but there are a few on that list I've never heard of, so I'm looking forward to reading it.

Haha, yeah, I actually thought the same thing for a long time for the same reason, and then I only recently actually looked at the label. Stereotypes can last for a long time!
  • xLyric
    And I'm not trying to shill SlimFast or anything, I don't care whether people drink it or not, I just think some things are vilified on websites like this when they don't need to be.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    xLyric wrote: »

It would be helpful if they actually let users know the numbers they found (unless I missed it somewhere). Somehow I doubt I'm going to get lead poisoning from it though. A lot of the bad rating comes from things like additives, too. What if I don't care about drinking aspartame, etc.? It all depends on why someone is drinking it. That website is not rating these drinks for people like me, basically.

Personally, I'm not trying to avoid anything but meat in my meals, I'm just trying to find the best protein to calorie ratio with the least amount of cost and work involved, and right now that's SlimFast, but there are a few on that list I've never heard of, so I'm looking forward to reading it.

Haha, yeah, I actually thought the same thing for a long time for the same reason, and then I only recently actually looked at the label. Stereotypes can last for a long time!

You can get the full report...

labdoor is extremely beneficial in providing information on all of these supplements that have no FDA oversight...many aren't what they seem. They aren't really giving bad reviews based on things like aspartame...they aren't about fear mongering. They're about providing reliable information on products which have no oversight.
  • xLyric
    edited April 2017
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

labdoor is extremely beneficial in providing information on all of these supplements that have no FDA oversight...many aren't what they seem. They aren't really giving bad reviews based on things like aspartame...they aren't about fear mongering. They're about providing reliable information on products which have no oversight.

That's good then, thanks! I don't think they're fear mongering, but they do drop the rating significantly and cite things like aspartame. I'm just saying that that doesn't mean much for everybody is all. Like for me personally, that wouldn't drop the rating. There are probably more people that want that in the rating than people that don't, though, so I'm not suggesting they change it.

Edit: Actually, what exactly do you mean by full report? Because I went to "Full Report" and there aren't actual numbers listed anywhere I can find. If I wanted to see exactly how much lead they found, where would that be?
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    I started out using mfp with 2 Gnc Lean Shake 25, after about a 1 month I realized How boring it was and didnt care for the shakes anymore. I then learned how to eat food while staying in deficit and haven't looked back I dont miss shakes at all but it did help me jumpstart my loss. For long term weight loss & health learning to eat food vs shakes is ideal.
  • bex34mfp
    bex34mfp Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you all for the replies and a really interesting read regarding Slimfast! They aren't something I'm planning on using on a regular basis more a case of having a shake in my bag in case I don't have the time for a lunch. I meal prep as much as I can and I enjoy it but some days just get the better of me!
    Thank you all once again
  • psuLemon
    edited April 2017

That's good then, thanks! I don't think they're fear mongering, but they do drop the rating significantly and cite things like aspartame. I'm just saying that that doesn't mean much for everybody is all. Like for me personally, that wouldn't drop the rating. There are probably more people that want that in the rating than people that don't, though, so I'm not suggesting they change it.

Edit: Actually, what exactly do you mean by full report? Because I went to "Full Report" and there aren't actual numbers listed anywhere I can find. If I wanted to see exactly how much lead they found, where would that be?

If you sign up for the website (it's free), click on full report, and then you will see all the information from all categories. They don't even mention aspartame with slimfast.

ETA: I found it a very quality source to look at quality of products. And often even buy lower rated products if they were deducted points for things I don't care about (cholesterol, sweeteners, etc..) if they test higher in product quality with things protein content.
  • xLyric
    edited April 2017

If you sign up for the website (it's free), click on full report, and then you will see all the information from all categories. They don't even mention aspartame with slimfast.

That's what I did. These are both from the full report of your first link:

Under "Product Purity":
    "This product failed its heavy metal screening for lead. This means that lead levels in one serving of this product exceeded Labdoor's standards, which are derived from proposed and established California Proposition 65 limits. This product passed screenings for arsenic, cadmium, and mercury."

No mention of the actual levels, just what they compare them to.

Under "Ingredient Safety":
    "This product recorded the following ingredients listed in the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI)'s list of additives to avoid for potential health risks: acesulfame potassium, aspartame..."
  • psuLemon

Under "Product Purity":
    "This product failed its heavy metal screening for lead. This means that lead levels in one serving of this product exceeded Labdoor's standards, which are derived from proposed and established California Proposition 65 limits. This product passed screenings for arsenic, cadmium, and mercury."

"This product recorded the following ingredients listed in the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI)'s list of additives to avoid for potential health risks: acesulfame potassium, aspartame..."

Fascinating. I missed that portion. I did add another clarifying note up top to tell you how I use the report.
  • xLyric

Under "Product Purity":

Fascinating. I missed that portion. I did add another clarifying note up top to tell you how I use the report.

That sounds like a good way to use it, thanks!