"Cheat" items

Options
2»

Replies

  • JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    JJS1979 wrote: »
    nichell88 wrote: »
    JJS1979 wrote: »
    As long as you are getting enough fiber (~ 30 grams) then its ok, if you are not hitting your fiber numbers than I would stick to a non-cheat item with more fiber.

    I'm sorry, in super confused by what you're saying. Doesn't seem to answer my question

    My point is, in MFP you can track your fiber intake, if you have achieved the right amount of fiber for the day then I would say its okay to have a "cheat" to fill in the rest of your macros. If, on the other hand, you have not hit your fiber requirement then I would eat something with more fiber.

    I can also track iron or calcium. Do you have the same practices for these as well?

    Trying to hit 100% for all micronutrients every day is unnecessarily complicated. Wouldn't it be better (at least for most people) to focus on a general trend of getting what you need day after day instead of focusing on a single day?

    I 100% agree, and as per my last comment, taking a multi and getting fiber you along with hitting your other macros you will be default hit most of those micronutrients. I only focus on Protein, Carbs, Fat and Fiber. If those are hit then I dont worry about the other nutrients because I will have hit them or have come very close.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    JJS1979 wrote: »
    nichell88 wrote: »
    JJS1979 wrote: »
    As long as you are getting enough fiber (~ 30 grams) then its ok, if you are not hitting your fiber numbers than I would stick to a non-cheat item with more fiber.

    I'm sorry, in super confused by what you're saying. Doesn't seem to answer my question

    I believe they are arguing that even if it fits within your calories and macros, you should also consider whether or not you have met your fiber goals for the day before choosing to eat something.

    To me, this seems unnecessarily limited. It's important to regularly get enough fiber, but I don't think being under fiber in any one particular day is going to harm someone. I'm not sure why this person is singling out fiber instead of, say, calcium, iron, vitamin A, or any of the other micronutrients one can track on MFP.

    I agree if this happens every once in a while it will not matter but if you are doing it on a daily basis then it will, in my opinion, make a difference. I picked fiber because most of us take a multiviamin that takes care of a lot of those micro-nutrients and if you are getting in enough fiber you have to be eating nutrient dense foods by default.

    OP shared, in the very first post, that she isn't doing this daily. So I'm not sure why you felt the need to call out fiber to her.

    I'm not sure that "most of us" do take a multivitamin. What is your source for that information? This survey would indicate that only 50% of Americans take any sort of supplementation. http://www.gallup.com/poll/166541/half-americans-vitamins-regularly.aspx Since some of those people are surely taking something besides multivitamins, I'm curious how you drew your conclusion that most people are taking one. If you focus on the world instead of American, I'm guessing it would be even lower than 50% taking any sort of supplement.
  • nichell88
    nichell88 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    JJS1979 wrote: »
    janjunie wrote: »
    JJS1979 wrote: »
    @janjunie yes, if you are not getting enough fiber than eating a pop-tart to get your last 200 calories and 35 grams of carbs in as opposed to a bowl of fruit is counter productive.

    in what way? Weight loss? Having a good bowel movement?

    Here is just one of many articles explaining the importance of fiber.

    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/fiber/art-20043983
    JJS1979 wrote: »
    nichell88 wrote: »
    JJS1979 wrote: »
    As long as you are getting enough fiber (~ 30 grams) then its ok, if you are not hitting your fiber numbers than I would stick to a non-cheat item with more fiber.

    I'm sorry, in super confused by what you're saying. Doesn't seem to answer my question

    My point is, in MFP you can track your fiber intake, if you have achieved the right amount of fiber for the day then I would say its okay to have a "cheat" to fill in the rest of your macros. If, on the other hand, you have not hit your fiber requirement then I would eat something with more fiber.

    That is not at all my question. I'm not asking whether or not I should cheat or what my cheat should look like.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I fit in 2 birthday cake Oreos today.

    And Totino's pizza rolls last night along with a glass of wine.

    I like having the flexibility to have something that I consider a 'treat' and it helps me keep from restricting too much and then having an all-out binge later.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Ummmm.....I have a snack bag of dorito's, bbq chips, cheetos or something like that nearly every day....PLUS dessert.

    So I guess I am cheating every day.....and still losing.

    Check out this thread - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10498878/looking-for-friends-who-dont-eat-clean-and-healthy/p1

    That thread feels like this:

    qr6kcj9zpipf.jpg
  • JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    JJS1979 wrote: »
    nichell88 wrote: »
    JJS1979 wrote: »
    As long as you are getting enough fiber (~ 30 grams) then its ok, if you are not hitting your fiber numbers than I would stick to a non-cheat item with more fiber.

    I'm sorry, in super confused by what you're saying. Doesn't seem to answer my question

    I believe they are arguing that even if it fits within your calories and macros, you should also consider whether or not you have met your fiber goals for the day before choosing to eat something.

    To me, this seems unnecessarily limited. It's important to regularly get enough fiber, but I don't think being under fiber in any one particular day is going to harm someone. I'm not sure why this person is singling out fiber instead of, say, calcium, iron, vitamin A, or any of the other micronutrients one can track on MFP.

    I agree if this happens every once in a while it will not matter but if you are doing it on a daily basis then it will, in my opinion, make a difference. I picked fiber because most of us take a multiviamin that takes care of a lot of those micro-nutrients and if you are getting in enough fiber you have to be eating nutrient dense foods by default.

    OP shared, in the very first post, that she isn't doing this daily. So I'm not sure why you felt the need to call out fiber to her.

    I'm not sure that "most of us" do take a multivitamin. What is your source for that information? This survey would indicate that only 50% of Americans take any sort of supplementation. http://www.gallup.com/poll/166541/half-americans-vitamins-regularly.aspx Since some of those people are surely taking something besides multivitamins, I'm curious how you drew your conclusion that most people are taking one. If you focus on the world instead of American, I'm guessing it would be even lower than 50% taking any sort of supplement.

    Ok, first off, I was not calling her out. I was simply responding to her comment with my opinion. Second, my assumption was based on people who look to live a healthy lifestyle (like most people using MFP and are on these boards). If you look at most americans, they are not tracking anything, they are not going to the gym, they are not on message boards trying to get advice, so I do not believe people on these forum are like the average american.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    JJS1979 wrote: »
    JJS1979 wrote: »
    nichell88 wrote: »
    JJS1979 wrote: »
    As long as you are getting enough fiber (~ 30 grams) then its ok, if you are not hitting your fiber numbers than I would stick to a non-cheat item with more fiber.

    I'm sorry, in super confused by what you're saying. Doesn't seem to answer my question

    I believe they are arguing that even if it fits within your calories and macros, you should also consider whether or not you have met your fiber goals for the day before choosing to eat something.

    To me, this seems unnecessarily limited. It's important to regularly get enough fiber, but I don't think being under fiber in any one particular day is going to harm someone. I'm not sure why this person is singling out fiber instead of, say, calcium, iron, vitamin A, or any of the other micronutrients one can track on MFP.

    I agree if this happens every once in a while it will not matter but if you are doing it on a daily basis then it will, in my opinion, make a difference. I picked fiber because most of us take a multiviamin that takes care of a lot of those micro-nutrients and if you are getting in enough fiber you have to be eating nutrient dense foods by default.

    OP shared, in the very first post, that she isn't doing this daily. So I'm not sure why you felt the need to call out fiber to her.

    I'm not sure that "most of us" do take a multivitamin. What is your source for that information? This survey would indicate that only 50% of Americans take any sort of supplementation. http://www.gallup.com/poll/166541/half-americans-vitamins-regularly.aspx Since some of those people are surely taking something besides multivitamins, I'm curious how you drew your conclusion that most people are taking one. If you focus on the world instead of American, I'm guessing it would be even lower than 50% taking any sort of supplement.

    Ok, first off, I was not calling her out. I was simply responding to her comment with my opinion. Second, my assumption was based on people who look to live a healthy lifestyle (like most people using MFP and are on these boards). If you look at most americans, they are not tracking anything, they are not going to the gym, they are not on message boards trying to get advice, so I do not believe people on these forum are like the average american.

    I'm not American but I'm also not taking a multi vitamin - you shouldn't need to if you have a balanced diet.
  • nichell88
    nichell88 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    Ummmm.....I have a snack bag of dorito's, bbq chips, cheetos or something like that nearly every day....PLUS dessert.

    So I guess I am cheating every day.....and still losing.

    Check out this thread - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10498878/looking-for-friends-who-dont-eat-clean-and-healthy/p1

    That thread feels like this:

    qr6kcj9zpipf.jpg

    My question was more around IF that's what folks consider a cheat more than confirming that I am cheating. So it sounds like your answer is no, along with most of the rest of the thread, haha
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    JJS1979 wrote: »
    JJS1979 wrote: »
    nichell88 wrote: »
    JJS1979 wrote: »
    As long as you are getting enough fiber (~ 30 grams) then its ok, if you are not hitting your fiber numbers than I would stick to a non-cheat item with more fiber.

    I'm sorry, in super confused by what you're saying. Doesn't seem to answer my question

    I believe they are arguing that even if it fits within your calories and macros, you should also consider whether or not you have met your fiber goals for the day before choosing to eat something.

    To me, this seems unnecessarily limited. It's important to regularly get enough fiber, but I don't think being under fiber in any one particular day is going to harm someone. I'm not sure why this person is singling out fiber instead of, say, calcium, iron, vitamin A, or any of the other micronutrients one can track on MFP.

    I agree if this happens every once in a while it will not matter but if you are doing it on a daily basis then it will, in my opinion, make a difference. I picked fiber because most of us take a multiviamin that takes care of a lot of those micro-nutrients and if you are getting in enough fiber you have to be eating nutrient dense foods by default.

    OP shared, in the very first post, that she isn't doing this daily. So I'm not sure why you felt the need to call out fiber to her.

    I'm not sure that "most of us" do take a multivitamin. What is your source for that information? This survey would indicate that only 50% of Americans take any sort of supplementation. http://www.gallup.com/poll/166541/half-americans-vitamins-regularly.aspx Since some of those people are surely taking something besides multivitamins, I'm curious how you drew your conclusion that most people are taking one. If you focus on the world instead of American, I'm guessing it would be even lower than 50% taking any sort of supplement.

    Ok, first off, I was not calling her out. I was simply responding to her comment with my opinion. Second, my assumption was based on people who look to live a healthy lifestyle (like most people using MFP and are on these boards). If you look at most americans, they are not tracking anything, they are not going to the gym, they are not on message boards trying to get advice, so I do not believe people on these forum are like the average american.

    I wasn't arguing that you were calling OP out, I was wondering why you felt the need to give her a recommendation about fiber, to call out fiber to her. She was up-front that she wasn't doing this daily and you said above that it will matter if one is doing this on a daily basis. She clearly isn't. So I'm not sure what prompted you to tell her to only choose lower fiber foods if she had met her fiber goal for the day.


    When it comes to the vitamin issue, I think I understand: your argument is that most people here on MFP would take a multivitamin because they are looking to live a healthy lifestyle. I'm not even sure that is accurate, given the recent publicity given to the ineffectiveness (or even potential harm) of multivitamins. It is *because* I have researched and am interested in my health that I don't take a multivitamin.

    It's your guess that most people here do, but I don't think we have enough information to assume that.

    If the people here are like the average American, most likely aren't taking a multi. If they aren't like the average American, it still doesn't follow that most people would. Some people here are focusing on using food to meet their nutritional needs. Some people aren't here for health, they're here to meet other goals.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    nichell88 wrote: »
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    Ummmm.....I have a snack bag of dorito's, bbq chips, cheetos or something like that nearly every day....PLUS dessert.

    So I guess I am cheating every day.....and still losing.

    Check out this thread - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10498878/looking-for-friends-who-dont-eat-clean-and-healthy/p1

    That thread feels like this:

    qr6kcj9zpipf.jpg

    My question was more around IF that's what folks consider a cheat more than confirming that I am cheating. So it sounds like your answer is no, along with most of the rest of the thread, haha

    In all seriousness, I have found labeling things as "cheating", "bad" or "good" usually just complicates what should be easy. Eat what you enjoy, log it and go about your day. Meeting your macros is great, but for weight loss a calorie deficit should be priority number one.
  • JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    JJS1979 wrote: »
    JJS1979 wrote: »
    nichell88 wrote: »
    JJS1979 wrote: »
    As long as you are getting enough fiber (~ 30 grams) then its ok, if you are not hitting your fiber numbers than I would stick to a non-cheat item with more fiber.

    I'm sorry, in super confused by what you're saying. Doesn't seem to answer my question

    I believe they are arguing that even if it fits within your calories and macros, you should also consider whether or not you have met your fiber goals for the day before choosing to eat something.

    To me, this seems unnecessarily limited. It's important to regularly get enough fiber, but I don't think being under fiber in any one particular day is going to harm someone. I'm not sure why this person is singling out fiber instead of, say, calcium, iron, vitamin A, or any of the other micronutrients one can track on MFP.

    I agree if this happens every once in a while it will not matter but if you are doing it on a daily basis then it will, in my opinion, make a difference. I picked fiber because most of us take a multiviamin that takes care of a lot of those micro-nutrients and if you are getting in enough fiber you have to be eating nutrient dense foods by default.

    OP shared, in the very first post, that she isn't doing this daily. So I'm not sure why you felt the need to call out fiber to her.

    I'm not sure that "most of us" do take a multivitamin. What is your source for that information? This survey would indicate that only 50% of Americans take any sort of supplementation. http://www.gallup.com/poll/166541/half-americans-vitamins-regularly.aspx Since some of those people are surely taking something besides multivitamins, I'm curious how you drew your conclusion that most people are taking one. If you focus on the world instead of American, I'm guessing it would be even lower than 50% taking any sort of supplement.

    Ok, first off, I was not calling her out. I was simply responding to her comment with my opinion. Second, my assumption was based on people who look to live a healthy lifestyle (like most people using MFP and are on these boards). If you look at most americans, they are not tracking anything, they are not going to the gym, they are not on message boards trying to get advice, so I do not believe people on these forum are like the average american.

    I wasn't arguing that you were calling OP out, I was wondering why you felt the need to give her a recommendation about fiber, to call out fiber to her. She was up-front that she wasn't doing this daily and you said above that it will matter if one is doing this on a daily basis. She clearly isn't. So I'm not sure what prompted you to tell her to only choose lower fiber foods if she had met her fiber goal for the day.


    When it comes to the vitamin issue, I think I understand: your argument is that most people here on MFP would take a multivitamin because they are looking to live a healthy lifestyle. I'm not even sure that is accurate, given the recent publicity given to the ineffectiveness (or even potential harm) of multivitamins. It is *because* I have researched and am interested in my health that I don't take a multivitamin.

    It's your guess that most people here do, but I don't think we have enough information to assume that.

    If the people here are like the average American, most likely aren't taking a multi. If they aren't like the average American, it still doesn't follow that most people would. Some people here are focusing on using food to meet their nutritional needs. Some people aren't here for health, they're here to meet other goals.

    All very fair points.
  • nichell88
    nichell88 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    JJS1979 wrote: »
    JJS1979 wrote: »
    nichell88 wrote: »
    JJS1979 wrote: »
    As long as you are getting enough fiber (~ 30 grams) then its ok, if you are not hitting your fiber numbers than I would stick to a non-cheat item with more fiber.

    I'm sorry, in super confused by what you're saying. Doesn't seem to answer my question

    I believe they are arguing that even if it fits within your calories and macros, you should also consider whether or not you have met your fiber goals for the day before choosing to eat something.

    To me, this seems unnecessarily limited. It's important to regularly get enough fiber, but I don't think being under fiber in any one particular day is going to harm someone. I'm not sure why this person is singling out fiber instead of, say, calcium, iron, vitamin A, or any of the other micronutrients one can track on MFP.

    I agree if this happens every once in a while it will not matter but if you are doing it on a daily basis then it will, in my opinion, make a difference. I picked fiber because most of us take a multiviamin that takes care of a lot of those micro-nutrients and if you are getting in enough fiber you have to be eating nutrient dense foods by default.

    OP shared, in the very first post, that she isn't doing this daily. So I'm not sure why you felt the need to call out fiber to her.

    I'm not sure that "most of us" do take a multivitamin. What is your source for that information? This survey would indicate that only 50% of Americans take any sort of supplementation. http://www.gallup.com/poll/166541/half-americans-vitamins-regularly.aspx Since some of those people are surely taking something besides multivitamins, I'm curious how you drew your conclusion that most people are taking one. If you focus on the world instead of American, I'm guessing it would be even lower than 50% taking any sort of supplement.

    Ok, first off, I was not calling her out. I was simply responding to her comment with my opinion. Second, my assumption was based on people who look to live a healthy lifestyle (like most people using MFP and are on these boards). If you look at most americans, they are not tracking anything, they are not going to the gym, they are not on message boards trying to get advice, so I do not believe people on these forum are like the average american.

    So anyway, before this turns into an argument, y the tip about fiber, while true, has nothing to do with what I was asking. I'm not sure if you misunderstood the question, but it was more about how to define a cheat. It was not about what a cheat should be composed of when to cheat
  • JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    No arguments, my apologies OP, I think I did misunderstand what you were asking. To try to answer, I think if its fits your macro goals and you are still in a deficit, then I would not be too concerned with it.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    I prefer not to define any food as a 'cheat' - it is simply food that the body will use as energy to accomplish the next thing on the list of things that needs to be handled. For example, yesterday's lunch was pepperoni slices and some blueberries that I ate because I was afraid they were about to go bad. Was either of those a 'cheat'? Nope, they were protein, fat, a little sugar and micro-nutrients that my body used to keep me going thru the afternoon.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    If eating those things because I have calories left is considered cheating....I cheat on the daily!! I'm going to add you as a friend though. Seriously...every time I see your before and after photo I am blown away!
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Nope. Sure I may not feel as good if i eat 300 calories of sugary dessert vs a 300 slice of sourdough bread with butter, but if it fits in my calories it's all good. I guess it's a treat, but not a cheat.
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Thehardmakesitworthit Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I've cheated my way to losing 75lbs. I'm the biggest cheater EVAH.

    You cannot be the biggest cheater because I am...... Great work!
  • jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I like the distinction between a treat and cheat from @katadx. Using those words, I would define a treat is a goodie that fits your cals/macros. A cheat is when you go beyond your cals/macros and you do not log, or you only log for informational purposes only.

    So IIFYM, it's a treat because you ate well enough otherwise to fit it in. It's a cheat when you are just eating because you want it, calories and macros be damned.
  • ja20102004
    ja20102004 Posts: 349 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I ate a croissant sandwich and it was 300 calories. As long as you are under there should be no problem.