Soreness

Options
When you do a new workout and you can barely move the next day....do you rest or keep going?

Replies

• fitzmonkey13
    fitzmonkey13 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    If it's muscle soreness/exhaustion, I usually do a fairly gentle walk that day, or about 20 minutes of light stretching. I don't want to do nothing because then I'll be even more sore and tight the next day. But I certainly don't push through and do more of the same because I'm concerned about injuries at this stage of my fitness.

If I have a sharp pain or joint pain, I take a day or two off completely and go to my doctor if it doesn't go away.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    If it's bad enough to impact that quality of my next workout, then I'll do a recovery day - some easy exercise to help get me loosened back up. Depending on what hurts, that could be something like walking my dogs, bike riding with my son, hiking, or swimming. I might also throw in some foam rolling and stretching.

Otherwise, I just take a longer than usual warm-up before the workout.
  • Candibar520
    Candibar520 Posts: 29 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Thank you. I hurt so badly, but I was able to do an 8-minute ab workout and 3 hours of yardwork that wasn't terribly strenuous.
  • Franopoly
    Franopoly Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ice is your friend when muscles are sore from working out. I did a class at the gym last week and 4 days later my triceps were so sore I found it difficult to raise my arms. Iced my arms for 15 minutes every 4 hours or so and it made a huge difference. Also an advil will help with pain. Hope you feel better soon!
  • eaglebtg
    eaglebtg Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I hurt so badly, but I was able to do an 8-minute ab workout and 3 hours of yardwork that wasn't terribly strenuous.

Listen to your body. If you need to take a rest day I'd suggest taking it. As long as you're staying consistent you'll see the benefits
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    When you do a new workout and you can barely move the next day....do you rest or keep going?

Stretch and do something light
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I always keep moving, if you end up sitting still you'll feel much worse. Keep it light because you don't want to damage anything that's healing but a nice long walk is better than doing absolutely nothing. Use a foam roller! I find that incredibly helpful in releasing the tightness, and then a few stretches feel amazing.
  • Fitnessfaith7465
    Fitnessfaith7465 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I always keep going. I work through the soreness.
  • haroldrios1692
    haroldrios1692 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If you train any muscle group and it's sore regardless of the reason whether it's because it's your first time or you went too hard. You should let it recover going back and training it is asking for an injury. Let it heal and you'll come back stronger.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    My last time, I walked the next day then carried on the following day. I expected to feel like death the day after, but was really surprised that I was pretty much over it.

In short, base it off how sore you are and if it's sore or actual pain.
  • Candibar520
    Candibar520 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I've been getting on the treadmill for weeks and realized I needed some strength training so I did a workout DVD. That caused major muscle soreness, but I am all good now. :)
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    It is not the No Pain, No Gain method but when I start back at the gym I do very light weight and increase 10 pounds each visit. It doesn't take very long to get to where I am actually challenged by the workout but this method avoids pain or injury. I must admit I feel a bit dorky in the first few visits though.