Calorie intake low but don't feel hungry

Options
2»

Replies

• T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    Prolonged periods of not eating enough may cause a loss of normal hunger cues. This can also be a trigger for an eating disorder if you continue to eat below 1200 calories a day. 1200 calories a day is, on average, what the female body needs while at rest, to perform basic functions such as blood circulation, organ function, breathing and temperature regulation. Your body also needs additional calories to provide energy for other activities, including digestion, exercising and the basic activities of daily life. If you are truly eating 800 to 900 calories a day and working out on top of that and don't feel hungry, you need to see a doctor and get checked out.

she knows this....she stated it above. she's here for ideas of food to up her cal intake when she's not feeling hungry.
  • Ms_Sicilian
    Ms_Sicilian Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Prolonged periods of not eating enough may cause a loss of normal hunger cues. This can also be a trigger for an eating disorder if you continue to eat below 1200 calories a day. 1200 calories a day is, on average, what the female body needs while at rest, to perform basic functions such as blood circulation, organ function, breathing and temperature regulation. Your body also needs additional calories to provide energy for other activities, including digestion, exercising and the basic activities of daily life. If you are truly eating 800 to 900 calories a day and working out on top of that and don't feel hungry, you need to see a doctor and get checked out.

Yeah, I might just do that, been bothering me awhile but I have prolonged the visit since I never felt sick.. but your right might be something worth doing tests and going on a nutritionist diet
  • Ms_Sicilian
    Options
    One more question! Yesterday I ran 4 1/2 miles and my fitness pal gave me more calories to eat? Do I have to eat this calories as well or can I avoid eating the calories I lost?
  • T0M_K
    Options
    One more question! Yesterday I ran 4 1/2 miles and my fitness pal gave me more calories to eat? Do I have to eat this calories as well or can I avoid eating the calories I lost?

a lot of people eat back a portion of them, maybe half. I don't think there is a hard a fast rule. If you plan to continue this, you may find yourself struggling with your currently level of calorie intake. your body needs the energy to sustain you through the exercise.
  • val_wang
    val_wang Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How much water do you usually drink? Sometimes drinking too much water - or eating too much fiber - can actually become a bad thing. It'll make you feel full but it's often just bloat. In other words, your body may still need more food and nutrients even when you feel full. Speaking from personal experience, this can definitely impact your appetite, but not in a positive way. By the way, you seem like you're at a healthy weight...I don't see why you would want to lose any more.
  • Ms_Sicilian
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »

a lot of people eat back a portion of them, maybe half. I don't think there is a hard a fast rule. If you plan to continue this, you may find yourself struggling with your currently level of calorie intake. your body needs the energy to sustain you through the exercise.
    I plan on fixing it, just wasn't sure how, I'm looking up dense foods I can add now
  • T0M_K
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »

I plan on fixing it, just wasn't sure how, I'm looking up dense foods I can add now

so a safe bet so you don't over eat is it eat back some portion of the exercise cals. this will help support your efforts with some energy. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I appreciate everyone giving advice on what I should add in my meal plan making sure to write it down

Peanut butter, full fat dairy, nuts & seeds, pork or beef instead of chicken and turkey.

Stop eating anything 'low fat' and ditch the shakes for a proper meal.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I appreciate everyone giving advice on what I should add in my meal plan making sure to write it down

Peanut butter, full fat dairy, nuts & seeds, pork or beef instead of chicken and turkey.

Stop eating anything 'low fat' and ditch the shakes for a proper meal.

This.

Also: use skin-on not skinless chicken, use olive oil and butter when cooking if you avoid it now - use more if you don't. Add cheese to things. Avocado is a good choice.
  • BigBadVanna
    BigBadVanna Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If you like the chocolate-flavored smoothies, maybe add a mid-morning smoothie? With some goodies like whey protein, flax, banana, peanut butter. Something like that.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    bwmalone wrote: »
    If you start seeing issues with your health (over-tired, mood swings, hair loss, sudden skin problems, etc) - then you might want to re-visit your intake... but being that you are running very low calories overall, then please be very mindful of what your body is telling you, and don't ignore warning signs.

By the time someone sees these--that is damage already done. And it takes much more time and effort to undo than it does to create. The OP should try to NET (have the end result be) 1200 calories for the day--eaten after exercise.

If she's eating 800-900 and exercising 200-300 off (my estimate based on her activity), that's netting around 600 and not enough to sustain basic metabolic functions. After two weeks of this, her body is already compensating by pull nutrition from hair, nails and muscle. Even if she doesn't see any difference yet, it's occurring. The body will find ways to sustain itself. The most important thing is to eat a couple high calorie-dense foods and get the number up to one with which her body can live.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    If you like the chocolate shake so much, how about having it after you exercise and then have some dinner as well, even if it's just peanut butter on toast? That would increase your calories and give you the best of both worlds. However, if you're really eating so little and don't feel hungry, as mentioned above, it would be worth seeing a doctor as soon as you can.