Macros

Options
So I've never really watched my macros before. I've been focusing on calories and just try to eat lots of protein and not too many carbs. I had my first meeting with my personal trainer today. He wants me to do 40% carbs 40% protein and 20% fats. Haven't quite figured it out yet, it's only day one so I will have to experiment. Does anyone have any recommendations or go to meals/foods to go along with this ratio?

Replies

• Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    It may take a while to adjust to and that's ok.

Plan carbs and protein at every meal.

What's the most important fat to you​? For me it's my cream in my coffee so I make sure I prelog it!

Pre-plan and make adjustments as needed. For protein, egg whites, chicken, Greek yogurt, protein powder, etc will be your friends.
  • gabriellax92
    gabriellax92 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    So I've never really watched my macros before. I've been focusing on calories and just try to eat lots of protein and not too many carbs. I had my first meeting with my personal trainer today. He wants me to do 40% carbs 40% protein and 20% fats. Haven't quite figured it out yet, it's only day one so I will have to experiment. Does anyone have any recommendations or go to meals/foods to go along with this ratio?

Also does anyone have a recommendation on daily sugar intake? I occasionally get a sweet tooth but typically use Stevia as a sweetener. Most foods have sugar added so I'd like to know a limit I should be watching out for.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Why so much protein?

Unless you have a medical reason to watch your sugar intake, you don't need to worry about it
  • gabriellax92
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Why so much protein?

Unless you have a medical reason to watch your sugar intake, you don't need to worry about it

This is what my personal trainer recommended for me to aggressively lose weight while maintaining muscle mass. I have about 80 pounds to lose. And I don't have any medical issues besides high blood pressure. I still feel I should watch sugar intake to be healthy.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Most people don't have a problem hitting carb macros, but protein and fats are harder. I eat hardboiled eggs, peanut butter, protein powder, beans, peas etc to get there.
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    What's your 40/40/20 break down to in grams?
  • gabriellax92
    Options
    JB035 wrote: »

Protein - 150g
    Carbs - 150g
    Fats- 34g
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    To hit those macro targets for protein and fats you're probably going to have to eat a lot of very lean meats and fish. Protein powder is also a convenient way to get a big protein hit without the added fats if made in a shake that all protein powder or with added carbs. I think you're going to have to plan most of your diet around hitting the protein targets and fit everything else in where you can. IMO though, that protein target is a unnecessarily aggressive for you and you'd be just as good at 125g or even less and it would open up many more food options for you.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

Protein - 150g
    Carbs - 150g
    Fats- 34g

1509 calories. How aggressive does this make your deficit?

I agree with @malibu927 That protein is high.

I'd be hungry with that little fat as well.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    protein seems a bit high and calories a bit low - depending on your goals

I avg 2200 a day - 130g protein, 230-300g carbs and 60-75g fat and I'm slowly building lean muscle while losing fat (recomp)
  • gabriellax92
    Options

Protein - 150g
    Carbs - 150g
    Fats- 34g

I actually upped my calorie intake, I was at 1340 before so the macros were less. However my personal trainer didn't recommend I eat any less the 1500 calories.
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Breakfast:
    Egg whites and Oatmeal (that's a zero fat meal.)
    Have a few almonds or nuts with it.
    Snack:
    Chobani Yogurt with fruit in the bottom has zero fat
    Lunch:
    Chicken with veggies (your pick) all veggies don't add up the same.
    Snack:
    Lunch meat with a apple or some sort of fruit
    Cheese
    If your looking like your going to be needing to knock out a lot of carbs for dinner then add some higher carb veggies with it.
    Dinner:
    Fish, Steak, Ground Turkey, pork
    Veggies
    Some fats if you have any left. (Peanuts. Peanut butter, Almonds, Almond butter, etc...)

What you have is a fairly restrictive meal plan with your Protein and Carbs being equal and not having many fats to play with. Trust the program you're on, if you're not getting results I'm sure your trainer will adjust.

• JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options

Protein - 150g
    Carbs - 150g
    Fats- 34g

This is the great question, what is your current deficit? The worst thing you can do is cut too much too fast because eventually your body will adjust and you will not be able to cut anymore. Its okay to lose slowly, it will be much better for your body composition and your metabolism. In terms of the macros, the protein may be a bit high, you probably could add 5-7g of fat and reduce protein by 10-16G to get about the same calories. Goodluck!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Also does anyone have a recommendation on daily sugar intake? I occasionally get a sweet tooth but typically use Stevia as a sweetener. Most foods have sugar added so I'd like to know a limit I should be watching out for.

Sugar is a carb. You're already tracking your carbs, so as long as you're hitting your carb macro, you're hitting your sugar. Don't sweat it beyond that.
  • JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options

I do not track sugars from fruits but i do watch my refine sugar intake, if you are getting most of your sugar from Fruits, I would not worry about it.
  • gabriellax92
    Options
    Breakfast:
    Egg whites and Oatmeal (that's a zero fat meal.)
    Have a few almonds or nuts with it.
    Snack:
    Chobani Yogurt with fruit in the bottom has zero fat
    Lunch:
    Chicken with veggies (your pick) all veggies don't add up the same.
    Snack:
    Lunch meat with a apple or some sort of fruit
    Cheese
    If your looking like your going to be needing to knock out a lot of carbs for dinner then add some higher carb veggies with it.
    Dinner:
    Fish, Steak, Ground Turkey, pork
    Veggies
    Some fats if you have any left. (Peanuts. Peanut butter, Almonds, Almond butter, etc...)

What you have is a fairly restrictive meal plan with your Protein and Carbs being equal and not having many fats to play with. Trust the program you're on, if you're not getting results I'm sure your trainer will adjust.

Thank you! This is so helpful. And yes my trainer said we will re-evaluate the macros in a couple weeks depending on my progress :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    This is borderline low carb. As a general rule, fats are often a bit higher with a low carb diet. High protein and low carb is similar to the book Protein Power, and the old Atkins plan (later stages).

I imagine the simplest way to hit your macros would be very lean meat, veggies and fruits, with small amounts of whole grains (like corn, oats, or rice).

Your fats are fairly low. If you need to shuffle your macros a bit, I would add some calories to fats. It would make picking your meats simpler. I doubt 20% fat would leave you much room to eat much beef or pork, or full fat dairy like cheese for that matter; poultry and white fish will fit your macro there.
  • pamchesney
    pamchesney Posts: 3 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I think olives are a good fat source...

Oh, never mind, I don't think this is helpful. LOL! :(