still gaining weight

Options
I have been working out consistently 4-5 days a week and counting calories and i have yet to loose any weight. I have be at it for 3 months. in fact I have always worked out but just started counting calories as a last resort. I'm afraid to stop doing what I've been doing for fear I'll gain weight but that has happened anyway. Based on the app I using it looks like I'm not eating enough calories. When you factor in the calories burned from working out i tend to be in a deficit of about 750-1000 calories a day. So based on that I have to eat what I burned working out. It's confusing. should i work out less or eat more. I do metabolic resistance training 3 days a week and cardio 2 days a week.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? How are you measuring your intake?

When you say a deficit of 750-1000 calories, is that overall or from your goal?
  • JenniferGoldstein820
    Options
    If you still can't lose weight I would see your doctor or an endocrinologist to check your thyroid/metabolism.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Yes, weigh foods and weigh it accurately.

I didn't stick to this for years and seriously spent 4 years not accomplishing my goals. I even weigh my protein powder. Weigh everything and track it. It will be eye opening. For example, I like to put some cool whip on some fruit for a snack or dessert. I never used to measure it- I'd eyeball it. And guess what, 9 grams of that is tiny. I think the 2 tablespoon measurement is for once it defrosts. So that's a recent example of how I filled myself for so long.

I started weighing everything and the scale finally started moving.
  • skellymama1
    skellymama1 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    How are you working the numbers?
    What are your stats?
    Are you weighing?
    How are you getting a 1000 burn per day from exercise?
    Your numbers are wrong that's why you are not losing.
  • molepigeon
    molepigeon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring the calorie burn from exercise by a HRM or by what it says on here/the machines? If I run on a treadmill for 40 mins the machine says I've burn around 500 calories but my HRM says 300. Also a spin class can say you burn "up to 800 calories" in a class but again I'm more likely around the 300 mark. Obviously everyone is different though.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Open your diary.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
  • lynnmontrose
    lynnmontrose Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thank you all for the input. 1. I have been to a doctor and was told every thing was fine. I specifically mentioned my issues with weight. 2. I'm using "my plate" calorie counting app which determines you maintenance calories as well as how many calories you should have to loose weight. I'm still in a deficit of 750-1000 calories when I work out. I will give weighing everything a try. Also, I use my Iwatch app to track my calorie burn. It has a heart rate monitor. I'm 5'7" and weigh 185 lbs.
  • tiffaninghs
    tiffaninghs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    thank you all for the input. 1. I have been to a doctor and was told every thing was fine. I specifically mentioned my issues with weight. 2. I'm using "my plate" calorie counting app which determines you maintenance calories as well as how many calories you should have to loose weight. I'm still in a deficit of 750-1000 calories when I work out. I will give weighing everything a try. Also, I use my Iwatch app to track my calorie burn. It has a heart rate monitor. I'm 5'7" and weigh 185 lbs.

im the smae height and weight as u.. i was 324lbs and now that i'm in the 180's it takes an act of congress to drop a pound but i swear I gain from just breathing. mind u im a pro at measuring my portions hence me losing so much weight thus far.. just saying hey i understand.. wish I had an answer.. only way i can drop lately is to go on a "fast" while exercising but thats not realisitic.. its hard
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I am assuming you eat back all your exercise calories, they are usually over inflated I suggest you start by only eating back 75-50% of them and see how that works you may inadvertently be overeating if you eat all of them back.