Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

It's not as simple as just being under your calorie count for the day??

Options
ebrucef
ebrucef Posts: 4 Member
Daily I keep track of my calories and have been under what MFP suggest. I complete my food diary daily it tells me what my weight will be if I keep doing what I am doing, it's been 4 weeks out of 5 and no weight lost. I only weigh in the morning after I have a "number 2" so I am consistent. I track with a Fitbit one and it add my tracked calories back into my total for the day. I stared at 300 lb and my weight fluctuates about 5 lbs. After completing my daily diary I get the message that if I keep doing the same I will be at 186 lb in 5 weeks. HELP
" a 200 lb man trapped in a 300 lb body.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    Something is wrong with the math and it's likely in actually calorie count in and out. How accurate are you on actual intake? Fitbit has a tendency to over estimate calorie burn, so maybe try a different calculator.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I think you have a typo in there. I can't see how you would lose over 100lbs in 5 weeks.

Other than that detail, I would suggest starting with reviewing your logging. Are you tracking everything accurately? There are some very common errors in logging: 1) not tracking everything, 2) tracking by volume, package, or eyeballing, 3) using the incorrect database entry. All three of these possibilities can throw off your results.

Are you eating all those calories that your tracker is adjusting? Some of the trackers can be significantly off.

There was a time over a period of several months when I combined these two errors to underestimate my intake by around 700 calories most days. Because I was did a lot of exercise I was losing anyway, until I stalled out for 3 weeks at one point. That finally made me take a good hard look at what I was doing, and I was totally kittened off when I realized what I'd been doing. Once you get used to logging a certain food a certain way, you tend to keep on without thinking much about it, so it's easy for an early error, as mine was, to perpetuate itself a long time.

This happens a lot!
  • ebrucef
    Options
    Thank you for all your replies. Sorry yes it was a typo. I ment 286 in 5 weeks. My weight can easily fluctuate up or down by 5 pounds in a week.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    Follow the TDEE method , don't worry about exercise calories and log accurately . Weight will come off
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Issues here generally revolve around accuracy...logging portions that are eyeballed/estimated...using erroneous entries from the database...quick adding arbitrary calories...overestimating expenditures from exercise, etc.
  • ebrucef
    Options
    I looked at the TDEE calculators and it estimated I should eat 3496 calories/day. MFP set my goal at 2650 calories/day. Before I started this journey I could easily eat 3000 calories in meal
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    I just find most activity trackers over estimates the calories burned and I had better success once I switched . I agree though that tightening up on the logging is key
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    ebrucef wrote: »
    I looked at the TDEE calculators and it estimated I should eat 3496 calories/day. MFP set my goal at 2650 calories/day. Before I started this journey I could easily eat 3000 calories in meal

I don't know your exact stats, I ran some generic numbers. I put you at 30 and 6'2". That gets a TDEE of @ 3200 calories. MFP already has the deficit built in. I am assuming also that you set you activity to "sedentary" in which case you WOULD eat back your exercise calories. What you need to do is make sure your logging is accurate, food scale for solids and cups for liquids. Weigh and measure everything, this will eliminate the CI portion of the CICO equation. From there, adjust the CO logging part until your numbers line up. Make sense?
  • jamesrivas39
    jamesrivas39 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Daily I keep track of my calories and have been under what MFP suggest. I complete my food diary daily it tells me what my weight will be if I keep doing what I am doing, it's been 4 weeks out of 5 and no weight lost. I only weigh in the morning after I have a "number 2" so I am consistent. I track with a Fitbit one and it add my tracked calories back into my total for the day. I stared at 300 lb and my weight fluctuates about 5 lbs. After completing my daily diary I get the message that if I keep doing the same I will be at 186 lb in 5 weeks. HELP
    " a 200 lb man trapped in a 300 lb body.

At the end of each day what is your macro profile looking like?
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options

Between March 26th and April 25th, your intake averaged 3,398 calories per day.

So either your Fitbit is giving you an inflated activity adjustment (963 calories per day, on average), or there's too much slop in your portion sizes, or both. You can tighten up your logging or just stop eating back the Fitbit calorie adjustment; either of those is likely to result in you eating less and losing more.

You might consider increasing your protein - an average of 124g a day isn't a lot for a man your size. I'm half your weight and average close to that much.