Female Lifters, Amenorrhea and/or missed periods.

Options
124»

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I have finally traced my late periods to inadvertent fasting. I've never been a been super regular, but when I finally got my period back after weaning my youngest I was very regular - pretty much like clockwork. In fact for 7 months I got my period on the 5th day of the month!

Then I started dieting to lose a few pounds. I played around with different ideas, delaying lunch as long as possible or skipping breakfast and lunch altogether. I couldn't do this regularly because I would get too hungry. Then my periods started coming late. One month I was 17 days late. I almost bought a pregnancy test. I don't know what connected the dots for me, but I'm pretty sure when I skip breakfast and lunch I know I'll be a day late for every day I do.

I'm sorry if this isn't helpful, but like others have said our lifestyle including how/when we eat definitely contributes to throwing off hormones. It seems to be such a delicate balance!

No, it's helpful. I fast for a good 6-8 hours after I get up actually....Wake up 5:00 am, lunch is either 11 or 12...hmmm
  • bbell1985
    Options
    ocrXfitter wrote: »
    lemmie177 wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Dunno if this helps, but I went through a ~7 month period of amenorrhea at the end of last year that just got more and more symptomatic over time. I've always weight trained 4-5x/week. I was trying (unsuccessfully) to lose weight. I'm also not super lean, likely higher BF than you are. First 4 months, started out with just irregular periods. Weight was maintaining at 1600, so I dropped my calories a little more. Developed hormonal cystic acne, anxiety, and insomnia and lost my period completely for the last 2 months. Suddenly couldn't even look at dairy or soy without breaking out. Weight was still maintaining. Didn't change my programming throughout. Even sadder, my strength pretty much plateaued, even lost a bit on my bench.

Anyway, since then I'm eating more and still maintaining. No longer amenorrheic. I dropped my training volume slightly (it was not very high to begin with). Stress is a little more under control. At the time, I was pretty stressed mentally, plus some self-worth issues; though I couldn't tell you how much of it was from the havoc of hormones. IMO, it was more an issue of total stress load, physiological and psychological. Lifting is a physiological stress, after all, so if that's happening on top of whatever else, it could tip the scales. I know that's vague. I actually hope you find out its something specific like a vit deficiency, so you can just pop a pill and be done with it.

I can't respond in full at the moment but this is basically me. I tried to lose weight and that's when it happened. And I wasn't losing either.

I know EXACTLY what you mean about being jealous of ppl's TDEEs. I remember how miserable it was to be meticulously logging, feeling perpetually hungry, hormones out of whack, not knowing if they were making me crazy, or if I was just crazy; and not getting an inch closer to the one thing your effort is going towards. And then to hear someone talk about how much more they must be burning to be losing at the rate they are, so how can I be eating so little... or to hear how its just simple math, so why can't I do it... ugh.

I'm 5'6" 127 lbs and my tdee is 2250, but I work for that! I lift, run, do Crossfit, and walk, walk, walk! Yesterday my tdee was around 2700 because I took 24000 steps (including running 7 miles). I think my tdee without all that is around 1700. Blah.

These statements make me a little upset too though! I guess there IS some time for me to get more activity in but I wake up at 4:45 am, at work by 6:30, in the gym around 5:00 until 7:00. I come home and have dinner at 7:30, lesson plan or relax until 9, then do it all over again. I suppose I could sneak in some cardio on my rest days but it feels so amazing to go straight home after work that one day of the week. Or take a walk home from school and do errands...I dunno. There's not enough time in the day!
  • ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Dunno if this helps, but I went through a ~7 month period of amenorrhea at the end of last year that just got more and more symptomatic over time. I've always weight trained 4-5x/week. I was trying (unsuccessfully) to lose weight. I'm also not super lean, likely higher BF than you are. First 4 months, started out with just irregular periods. Weight was maintaining at 1600, so I dropped my calories a little more. Developed hormonal cystic acne, anxiety, and insomnia and lost my period completely for the last 2 months. Suddenly couldn't even look at dairy or soy without breaking out. Weight was still maintaining. Didn't change my programming throughout. Even sadder, my strength pretty much plateaued, even lost a bit on my bench.

Anyway, since then I'm eating more and still maintaining. No longer amenorrheic. I dropped my training volume slightly (it was not very high to begin with). Stress is a little more under control. At the time, I was pretty stressed mentally, plus some self-worth issues; though I couldn't tell you how much of it was from the havoc of hormones. IMO, it was more an issue of total stress load, physiological and psychological. Lifting is a physiological stress, after all, so if that's happening on top of whatever else, it could tip the scales. I know that's vague. I actually hope you find out its something specific like a vit deficiency, so you can just pop a pill and be done with it.

I can't respond in full at the moment but this is basically me. I tried to lose weight and that's when it happened. And I wasn't losing either.

I know EXACTLY what you mean about being jealous of ppl's TDEEs. I remember how miserable it was to be meticulously logging, feeling perpetually hungry, hormones out of whack, not knowing if they were making me crazy, or if I was just crazy; and not getting an inch closer to the one thing your effort is going towards. And then to hear someone talk about how much more they must be burning to be losing at the rate they are, so how can I be eating so little... or to hear how its just simple math, so why can't I do it... ugh.

I'm 5'6" 127 lbs and my tdee is 2250, but I work for that! I lift, run, do Crossfit, and walk, walk, walk! Yesterday my tdee was around 2700 because I took 24000 steps (including running 7 miles). I think my tdee without all that is around 1700. Blah.

These statements make me a little upset too though! I guess there IS some time for me to get more activity in but I wake up at 4:45 am, at work by 6:30, in the gym around 5:00 until 7:00. I come home and have dinner at 7:30, lesson plan or relax until 9, then do it all over again. I suppose I could sneak in some cardio on my rest days but it feels so amazing to go straight home after work that one day of the week. Or take a walk home from school and do errands...I dunno. There's not enough time in the day!

Preach!

I'm up at 4:25, gym at 4:45, home at 5:40, get kid ready for school and I'm at work at 7:45, home at 5:30, dinner, dishes, helping with homework, giving kiddo a bath, and I'm in bed at 9 also. It's a long day with no wiggle room, so I totally get it.

You're already doing a lot, so I agree, not sure where you can add anything unless you cut a little time off your lifting and add a little cardio. I'm not a big fan of cardio myself, but I love obstacle racing, which is what motivates me to run.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

How many days a week do you go to the gym? I just can't believe that your maintenance calories are 1800 if you are going to the gym 4+ days a week for two hours.*

* By "can't believe" I mean that in a throw up my hands "this is unbelievable!" kind of way, not like "she is a lying liar lying lies."
  • bbell1985
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

How many days a week do you go to the gym? I just can't believe that your maintenance calories are 1800 if you are going to the gym 4+ days a week for two hours.*

* By "can't believe" I mean that in a throw up my hands "this is unbelievable!" kind of way, not like "she is a lying liar lying lies."

I'm 5'4". In the 140s. Most women with these stats are between 1800-2200. I wish I could do 2200 though. It'd be a huge difference for me. It'd probably improve my quality of life but I don't know if I can increase activity enough for that.

I go to the gym 4x per week and it's mostly powerlifting. Long set breaks, triples. I just super setted something for the first time in like 2 years yesterday.
  • bbell1985
    Options

Preach!

I'm up at 4:25, gym at 4:45, home at 5:40, get kid ready for school and I'm at work at 7:45, home at 5:30, dinner, dishes, helping with homework, giving kiddo a bath, and I'm in bed at 9 also. It's a long day with no wiggle room, so I totally get it.

You're already doing a lot, so I agree, not sure where you can add anything unless you cut a little time off your lifting and add a little cardio. I'm not a big fan of cardio myself, but I love obstacle racing, which is what motivates me to run.
    So...go you! lol. I don't know? I guess you can handle more than I can.
  • ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    Options

Preach!

So...go you! lol. I don't know? I guess you can handle more than I can.

No! I'm saying you've got all your time planned and it's packed! It's hard to get it all in for sure.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

It's possible. Weight lifting doesn't burn many calories. On average ~200/hr. And she's doing 4x/wk for 2 hrs so that's about 1 hr/day on average, so about 200 calories/day. And at 5'4", 140, her bmr is around 1350. Standing for 8 hrs (teaching) adds just 200 calories more than if she had a sitting job.
    http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/activity-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

That's 400 over her bmr. So yeah, it's not unreasonable for her to have a tdee of 1800. If it was that important for her to increase her tdee, since her weekdays are packed, there's always the weekend, she could do some moderate intensity cardio on weekends or trade in some of the weight lifting for cardio, but she's said she's not willing to drop the lifting.

As for the amenorrhea/irregular cycles, given the issue doesn't appear to be low calories or low body fat, it seems the powerlifting has been the constant and based on others' posts, could be a unique stressor. I would experiment for several months and drop it and just do bodyweight training and see what happens. But that would ruin the lifting PRs and gainzzz and what not....
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Do you get the summer off from work? I know you mentioned your job is high stress, and from what you've posted about it I definitely believe it is! Not to say you sound like a stressed out person, but... kind of.
    Maybe it is more of a stress related thing than it is training?
    Like I said my sister has decreased her activity immensely from when she was in basic, and weight/body fat are not super low, but stress is still very high so I would suspect that's a huge part of it for her.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    Do you get the summer off from work? I know you mentioned your job is high stress, and from what you've posted about it I definitely believe it is! Not to say you sound like a stressed out person, but... kind of.
    Maybe it is more of a stress related thing than it is training?
    Like I said my sister has decreased her activity immensely from when she was in basic, and weight/body fat are not super low, but stress is still very high so I would suspect that's a huge part of it for her.

It could be. I started losing it right before the kids came in September though. So July was my last I think. I did take plan B that month, but things should have straightened out by August or September. BUT the way I quit my last job was very stressful too and my boss there was horrible to me...so...who knows. Could be stress.

I have to say. I have my period now and I just had the BEST workout I've had in soooo long. Feel amazing today.
  • bbell1985
    Options

It's possible. Weight lifting doesn't burn many calories. On average ~200/hr. And she's doing 4x/wk for 2 hrs so that's about 1 hr/day on average, so about 200 calories/day. And at 5'4", 140, her bmr is around 1350. Standing for 8 hrs (teaching) adds just 200 calories more than if she had a sitting job.
    http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/activity-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

That's 400 over her bmr. So yeah, it's not unreasonable for her to have a tdee of 1800. If it was that important for her to increase her tdee, since her weekdays are packed, there's always the weekend, she could do some moderate intensity cardio on weekends or trade in some of the weight lifting for cardio, but she's said she's not willing to drop the lifting.

Word.

And honestly I'm not like a FAST, fidgety person. I kind of walk slow. I love to sit down.