General advice- new to running

Options
I'm wanting to start up running after doing some, I know I'm sore and need to build up to it. I've downloaded the C25K app, I think that's a great way to ease me into running, but I'm literally NEW to exercise on a treadmill/outside so I have some basic questions!!

For my iPhone, is it best to get an armband thing I've seen for my phone, or is there another better way to attach my phone to my side? Also if anyone knows where to buy some good quality shoes? And if anyone has any general advice for a newbie, let me know, thanks!

Replies

• Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    **also type of headphones that are best?
  • Charabz69
    Charabz69 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I use an armband when running also use wireless headphones. Best to get decent trainers (sneakers) for running, check in your local sports shop for advice?
    C25K is meant to be really good for beginners, stick with it! Good Luck x
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Welcome to a new addiction and well done for starting with c25k – it’s helped a lot of people me included.

For the iphone, not that I often listen to music (sometimes podcasts on longer more boring runs) you CAN try an armband, I have a couple but I’ve never really used them. I have instead a ‘fitbelt’ which I can put my phone, keys and some cash in, it doesn’t move around, and I use Bluetooth headphones for music.

Shoes – find a decent running store and get properly fitted. Make sure they are comfortable, and they should let you run up and down the street in them. Others will come along and say get a gait analysis done. Running shoes are expensive. Don’t do anything other than run in them.

Learn running form. Keep your steps short and try and make sure your feet land beneath you. Try not to twist at the hips – run forward. Same with the arms, let them move, but not across your body. Keep your body generally straight and don’t push your head forward. Proper running form will stop you getting injured.

Follow c25k as it says – have REST days. Rest days build strength. Run slowly. Run really really slowly. Run so slowly you could sing. That will build cardiovascular endurance, and also build strength in your muscles, tendons and bones.

My personal add-on – run outside. Run on trails. Feel the world beneath your feet, enjoy nature, embrace the hills.
  • Lizzypb88
    Options
    Charabz69 wrote: »
    Hi
    I use an armband when running also use wireless headphones. Best to get decent trainers (sneakers) for running, check in your local sports shop for advice?
    C25K is meant to be really good for beginners, stick with it! Good Luck x

There's wireless headphones?! Haha I'm so out of the loop! That's awesome!
  • bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    The armband is key
  • Lizzypb88
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Welcome to a new addiction and well done for starting with c25k – it’s helped a lot of people me included.

For the iphone, not that I often listen to music (sometimes podcasts on longer more boring runs) you CAN try an armband, I have a couple but I’ve never really used them. I have instead a ‘fitbelt’ which I can put my phone, keys and some cash in, it doesn’t move around, and I use Bluetooth headphones for music.

Shoes – find a decent running store and get properly fitted. Make sure they are comfortable, and they should let you run up and down the street in them. Others will come along and say get a gait analysis done. Running shoes are expensive. Don’t do anything other than run in them.

Learn running form. Keep your steps short and try and make sure your feet land beneath you. Try not to twist at the hips – run forward. Same with the arms, let them move, but not across your body. Keep your body generally straight and don’t push your head forward. Proper running form will stop you getting injured.

Follow c25k as it says – have REST days. Rest days build strength. Run slowly. Run really really slowly. Run so slowly you could sing. That will build cardiovascular endurance, and also build strength in your muscles, tendons and bones.

My personal add-on – run outside. Run on trails. Feel the world beneath your feet, enjoy nature, embrace the hills.

Thanks for all this! I didn't even know that as far as "how" to run!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I buy running leggings with a zip pocket for my phone and keys.

There's nothing wrong with listening to music when yoyre running but make sure you're aware of your surroundings.

Run slower... :smiley:
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I have the c25k app and never started it lol. I've been walking on average about 8k at a time and incorporate about 3/4mile slow jogs in that distance with walking for 1/4 to 1/2 mile in between. I've been meaning to do the c25k app but just never get around to it. Eventually I hope to run at least a 5k without stopping/walking any of it. Still a work in progress, but as I understand it, it's fine to go slow and progress at your own pace.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Plantronics BackBeat fit plantronics.com/us/product/backbeat-fit Are great. They have an open ear tip that lets you hear whats going on around you like cars.
    Runtastic pro is a great app to track miles and shoe miles so you will know when to replace them.
    My current favorite shoe is the Hoka one one constant 2. It has a lot of cushion that I need for city running. Goto a running store to get fitted and keep in mind that running shoes need to be a little larger than your normal shoe size. Shoe will need to be replaced every 325 to 425 miles.
    Armband is a must but I am not a iPhone guy.
    I thought that I can't run due to sore knees but found that if I start slow and build I can run any distance now.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I'll also second wireless headphones, no need to buy expensive ones, I've been using a pair of MPOW bluetooth headphones for over a year and they work great. Charge lasts about 8 hours or so for me, sometimes a hair less depending on how high you turn up the volume. On Amazon you should be able to find many versions of the MPOW and other lower cost brands for under $50, probably way under. Of course the best are going to be Plantronics, Bose, etc. but you're going to pay a pretty penny for them.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    For me as much as I use them, almost daily, I wanted quality. More importantly I didn't want them to seal my ear so I can be aware of my surroundings. I run at 4:30 AM through downtown and although traffic is very light I don't want a car or person sneaking up on me. After researching Plantronics seemed to fit my needs best but if there is a lower cost that doesn't block out all external noise I would go for those too. When listening to music while running it really doesn't require top of the line audio. I also like to hear my miles & pace every mile from my Runtastic app. It can be very motivating when trying to increase speed or distance
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I got a little running belt for my iPhone as it's the 7 Plus and hanging it off my arm would be ridic. Check out Marshall's or TJ Maxx's little sporty section, they are reasonably priced there. My bluetooth headphones are the best thing I've bought in a while.

As for shoes, I am only running up to 5k and just got some Nikes that feel good on my feet. You can and should (and I prob should) get fitted at a running store especially if you plan to run on pavement a lot. On that note, you're gonna find treadmill and outdoor running feel really different, I can run way further on a treadmill than outdoors with the hills and the things.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    The armband is key

Hated an armband and got a flipbelt. I prefer it. It holds my phone, car keys, water bottle and license and does not get in the way of running. I'm having issues with my wireless headphones cutting out, so I've gone back to wired ones with a long enough cord to reach my waist. Other than the cord going to my waist, you wouldn't know I'm wearing the belt as my shirt covers it.

I keep the volume pretty low on the music so I can hear everything around me. I might invest in better headphones one day.

For shoes, go to a decent running store and have someone watch how you walk (gait analysis) to help get you into shoes that will work for you. I'm cheap and used to buy shoes at Wal Mart, but for running I've coughed up serious money ($90 - $120) for my shoes.

I've been running on a treadmill since Sept., did the C25K starting Jan 1 and am now running outside as the weather is better (not running below 0C, no way). I do like running outside more than the treadmill. I need to be watching something mindless on the TV to do the treadmill now.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I've tried armbands, but they often chafed my arms or slid down. I LOVE my Flipbelt, though. I can fit my phone, keys, fuel, and even a water bottle in it (though that part depends on the shape of your water bottle). I also have capris with a little zip pocket that will hold my phone, and keys if I really try hard to fit them in.

I also really like my Bluetooth headphones. I think they're something like $30 on Amazon.
  • runningkel
    runningkel Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    +1 for the flipbelt. I ran with armbands and that was fine until I got a wicked tan line in the summer. I'm now addicted to my flipbelt and won't go back to an armband.

I'm not a fan of wireless headphones, but I just get cheap ones at target or anywhere. My last $5 pair was from big lots and it lasted me about 3 years and numerous races. When I run pre-dawn, I only put one earbud in so I can hear what's happening around me. I'd suggest they wrap around your ear...less movement or falling out of your ears.

I need music to run! Get some music that makes you want to move (this is your chance to enjoy all the cheesy tunes you want!). Womens Running magazine does a monthly "What we're listening to" if you need new ideas.

Definitely head to a running store and get fitted. Not just a sports store, but a running store. They'll be able to look at your feet and your gait/stride and steer you towards a good pair. If you do nothing else suggested by anyone, get good shoes!

Also...make sure you slow down. Run at a pace you could carry on a conversation to. It sounds like odd advice, but I forced myself to listen when I was starting out and it's taken me through 2 marathons.

Good luck!!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    FlipBelt ($20?)for your phone and other stuff.

BlueTooth earpiece for music ($40?), so you have one ear open.

"Running" shoes sold in a basic dept store aren't necessarily the best quality. Nothing wrong with the brands they sell but I've noticed they just don't carry the higher end shoes those same brands offer on their own websites. So check out a running store, especially if you want to get fitted properly for shoes, but after that you can find a few decent shoes at a sporting goods store (Academy) or DSW or order online. More choices to try on if you go to a running store.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Please, don't wear headphones that you cannot hear through, or just wear one. Musical accompaniment, or a podcast, are great. But a person needs to be able to hear their environment when out on the street.
    Go to a running store for your shoes. Try on many pairs. They're all a little different, and everyone has their own preferences. Unless you try on a bunch you will never know what you might like.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I hate the way an armband feels -- it's very distracting to me. Like some other people in this thread, I have a Flipbelt and I highly recommend it. It holds a ton of stuff -- I can get my phone, keys, id/credit cards, Gu packs, even a water bottle (they make small and large bottles specially designed to fit in the Flipbelt). Amazing, especially for longer runs. And I can't even feel it when I'm running.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    run slow and then run slower...seriously! the worst thing I see new runners do is try to run too fast
  • BrandNewMan1970
    BrandNewMan1970 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I use a band that goes around my waist to carry phone. Tucks in and never moves and also use wireless beats. Get good shoes and try to find your happy place where you can pick them up and lay them down all day long. You'll find it. Once you do running becomes the easiest of exercises