calf and shin pain with impact exercise

Options
kellydaly87
kellydaly87 Posts: 12 Member
edited April 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey everyone just wondering if anyone has any advice. The past couple weeks I have been developing pain (cramping-ish) in my calves when walking up the street at any pace other than a SLOW stroll. When I do Zumba or other classes that require lots of movement it develops into horrible pain in my calves and in my shins. My calves end up hard as rocks and I actually needed to skip a rotation doing agility ladders yesterday. It NEVER happens on the elliptical or in yoga, only when with impact movement.
The working theory is either I need to drink more water before the gym, or my L3-L5 disc displacement issues are acting up. Anyone else dealing with this? Anyone have any "cures" or know of something else that might cause it?

I do stretch and ease into my workout.
I do get shin splints if I run (so I don't).
I am highly overweight still.
I have a coffee problem.

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Or maybe some topical magnesium would help.
  • kellydaly87
    Options
    Or maybe some topical magnesium would help.

hmmm I'll give this a go, thanks!

• ornir1
    ornir1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also get shin splints when I try anything quicker than a fast walk. I've put it down to fallen arches in my feet.

Do you suffer with fallen arches also? If so, maybe a change in footwear (or insoles) could help.

Mine have improved slightly since wearing more appropriate footwear, but the shin splints are still a pain!
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    You can't fix this with magnesium. The only solution is to reduce the activity that is causing it. Your shin bones are just not used to that level of stress given your weight or previous inactivity. So don't aggravate the situation by keeping on with the same activity. Go a few days doing non impact stuff like elliptical or cycling.

Then the next time you try to do a high impact activity, the moment you start feeling shin pain, STOP. Don't work through the pain. Over time, as you allow your body to heal and adapt, your bones will get stronger and you will be able to do these exercises without pain. That's what happened to me, I got shin pain when I started jogging. After that, when the pain started, I would switch to walking. I would also take days off between runs/jogs and over time, I could jog without shin pain. Listen to your body!
  • Jabbarwocky
    Jabbarwocky Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have a coffee problem.

Get a good thermal mug. Contigo makes a good, no spill, thermal mug and they are reasonably priced.

Oh, wait? Are you trying to say you drink too much?!?! Sorry, sarcastic by nature!

Being serious, have you spoken with your doctor about this? If it were just during higher intensity workouts I might personally dismiss this but since it even prevents more than a slow paced stroll, you should probably consider medical assistance. I know how rough that can be though. My knees have prevented me from a significant amount of cardio workouts for the last month or so after I twisted my left knee. I can do cardio on the elliptical at the YMCA for 15 to 20 minutes before they start hurting but the one at home, forget about it. I see the doctor on Monday. Probably would have been past this by now if I hadn't been so stubborn and put off the doctors visit for so long.
  • kellydaly87
    Options

Get a good thermal mug. Contigo makes a good, no spill, thermal mug and they are reasonably priced.

Oh, wait? Are you trying to say you drink too much?!?! Sorry, sarcastic by nature!

Being serious, have you spoken with your doctor about this? If it were just during higher intensity workouts I might personally dismiss this but since it even prevents more than a slow paced stroll, you should probably consider medical assistance. I know how rough that can be though. My knees have prevented me from a significant amount of cardio workouts for the last month or so after I twisted my left knee. I can do cardio on the elliptical at the YMCA for 15 to 20 minutes before they start hurting but the one at home, forget about it. I see the doctor on Monday. Probably would have been past this by now if I hadn't been so stubborn and put off the doctors visit for so long.

It wasn't doing this before my doc appointment last month (of course) so I haven't seen anyone yet. I was really hoping I wouldn't have to. I just fear having the response of "well you're fat, you're 30, and you spent 18 years murdering your joints in an ice rink. Of course you hurt." Do I think MY doctor would do this? No. But I have the distinct feeling certain other MDs would if that's who I saw.

• Jabbarwocky
    Jabbarwocky Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Finding a good doctor who will actually listen to you is always a pain. I hate that my doctor retired a few years ago. He was great about actually listening to you. I've switched doctors several times since then for exactly those reasons. I understand that they have medical degrees and experience dealing with injuries. What they DONT have is 50 plus years of living in MY body. I know when something is off, even when I cant quote the scientific name for it or even what the problem is in general. Very frustrating.
  • kellydaly87
    Options
    ornir1 wrote: »
    I also get shin splints when I try anything quicker than a fast walk. I've put it down to fallen arches in my feet.

Do you suffer with fallen arches also? If so, maybe a change in footwear (or insoles) could help.

Mine have improved slightly since wearing more appropriate footwear, but the shin splints are still a pain!

ahahahahaha yes. yes my arches have 100% collapsed I have been very flat footed for several years now. you genius you. new sneakers with inserts it is for me I guess, I'll be giving that a try too. (not sarcasm)
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Have you tried compression sleeves for your calves/shins? Also, strength training exercises (ex: calf raises) followed by stretches may help.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Shin splints is often related to tight calves. Try stretching your calves every single hour for at least 30 seconds. Use a reminder app or timer, so you do it hourly. Post an update in a few days. :+1:
  • kellydaly87
    Options
    You can't fix this with magnesium. The only solution is to reduce the activity that is causing it. Your shin bones are just not used to that level of stress given your weight or previous inactivity. So don't aggravate the situation by keeping on with the same activity. Go a few days doing non impact stuff like elliptical or cycling.

Then the next time you try to do a high impact activity, the moment you start feeling shin pain, STOP. Don't work through the pain. Over time, as you allow your body to heal and adapt, your bones will get stronger and you will be able to do these exercises without pain. That's what happened to me, I got shin pain when I started jogging. After that, when the pain started, I would switch to walking. I would also take days off between runs/jogs and over time, I could jog without shin pain. Listen to your body!

I hear you and understand, but my heart breaks at skipping zumba! it's only once a weeeeeeeek. I'll take it super easy today and see how it goes. It used to be get through the first 15 minutes and the pain went away... last week's zumba and yesterday's "crossfit light" (I don't know how else to describe a Kinesio Fit class) was not that simple. It buuurned.
    I'll half *kitten* my way through class till it hurts, then just switch to flailing my arms.
  • kellydaly87
    Options
    Have you tried compression sleeves for your calves/shins? Also, strength training exercises (ex: calf raises) followed by stretches may help.

Do hospital TEDs count? cause I can go grab those right now. I shall try the raises.
  • kellydaly87
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Shin splints is often related to tight calves. Try stretching your calves every single hour for at least 30 seconds. Use a reminder app or timer, so you do it hourly. Post an update in a few days. :+1:

you kind kind soul linking a video. I'll start this too.

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options

Do hospital TEDs count? cause I can go grab those right now. I shall try the raises.

I've never used hospital TEDs, but it's the same concept so I don't think it would hurt to give them a try!