Hey Star War Fans

Options
SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
edited April 2017 in Chit-Chat
If the Death Star had to shoot something below its "equator", how would it do it?

star-wars-death-star-480915.jpg

Another reason Star Trek is superior.

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Not to mention if it had to shoot something behind it.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    It would rotate, it's a sphere in space all directions are possible and it's designed to be a planet killer not a fighter jet - planets don't dodge.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @cee134 wrote: »

Yeah, if I were an enemy ship, I'd sneak up behind it, tap in on the shoulder.... the Death Star would slowly turn to see what it was, maybe shoot it but before it made it around I would tap the other shoulder.

I would do that all day. Darth Vader be all like "what's going on?"

137ca9e2a4de70b11d0ae475997e8004.gif
  • BedsideTableKangaroo
    BedsideTableKangaroo Posts: 736 Member
    Options

below the equator is an illegal hit. if the death star was only known for one thing, it was known for playing fair.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    It's not a fast moving weapon. You'd always position it to fire at the intended target ahead of time.

So no hyperspeed? So it would take thousands of years to travel from sytem to another?
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    It doesn't go to plaid!
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    Options
    It's not a fast moving weapon. You'd always position it to fire at the intended target ahead of time.

So no hyperspeed? So it would take thousands of years to travel from sytem to another?

The original plans were one Death Star per system. Use the first one to make a strong impression, then rely on good word of mouth to put the fear in the other systems. Then, the first was destroyed and the Galactic Recession hit. All resources were then sent to the StarKiller project development.

Now wait a minute. So the Death Star per system approach would have it being made right there in the system, taking dozens of years to complete. The planet under threat couldn't take it out during those dozen years? I mean, the element of surprise is kinda gone, ya know?
  • Ms_Sicilian
    Ms_Sicilian Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm sure we can come to a middle ground why both Star Wars and Star Trek are both good shows ;)
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Have you wannabe nerds not seen Rogue One? It can travel at light speed.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    edited April 2017
    Options
    The Death Star was slow relative to the other small ships but it was rated on some scale I forget how the scale works now. It was in a book I read but it was like a 4 on a scale where 0 is like ridiculously stupid fast.

But all ships in Star Wars used fossil fuels for propulsion, right? Based on the flames coming out of the back of the ships. Well, some of the ships. The Tie-Fighters didn't have any. And the Death Star didn't have any. Did those two ships use Star Trek warp field technolgy?
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @_John_ wrote: »

How? What was it means of propulsion? (see post above)
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

How? What was it means of compulsion? (see post above)

Do you mean propulsion? Is there a meaning for compulsion I'm unaware of? :confounded:
    Is Rogue One even considered canon? (Legit questions; I haven't seen it and sit on the 'Star Trek' side of the fence anyway).
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

How? What was it means of compulsion? (see post above)

Do you mean propulsion? Is there a meaning for compulsion I'm unaware of? :confounded:
    Is Rogue One even considered canon? (Legit questions; I haven't seen it and sit on the 'Star Trek' side of the fence anyway).

Ooops! Yes, propulsion!!!!
  • iluvnufoods
    iluvnufoods Posts: 45 Member
    Options

Star Wars isn't exactly a hard sci fi. You won't find any detailed explanations because none are given and it's unlikely they ever will be. Star Wars is a "space opera," it's more fantasy than science fiction, which is one of the things that separates it from Star Trek.

Anyway, to answer the original question, it simply rotates. That seems pretty obvious imo
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @navaris wrote: »

Star Wars isn't exactly a hard sci fi. You won't find any detailed explanations because none are given and it's unlikely they ever will be. Star Wars is a "space opera," it's more fantasy than science fiction, which is one of the things that separates it from Star Trek.

Anyway, to answer the original question, it simply rotates. That seems pretty obvious imo

Well, that explains this character in "The Last Jedi"

opera-singer.jpg
  • Rob_in_MI
    Rob_in_MI Posts: 393 Member
    Options

It totally had it. The Rebellion didn't steal that set of schematics. How else did it blow up Alderrean? A tow strap?
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    The Death Star is weak. It always gets destroyed.

pq71cqukvs9r.jpg