HFLC Diet (High Fat Low Carb)

Options
LizDimick
LizDimick Posts: 2 Member
edited April 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Hi!
My name is Elizabeth and I started ketogenic which is a high-fat low-carb Lifestyle on April 10th of this year. I was wondering if there was any other individuals that are using this app who are also engaged in other ketogenic or paleo or any of the high fat low carb Lifestyles available.

I was hoping maybe we could start a little form of our own and share tips and tricks and success stories and any issues we may have had. Because as you know coming into this lifestyle can be Troublesome and close many questions that some of you who have been into this lifestyle for sometime have some experience and can offer wisdom to us newbies!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

This group is full of people who do LCHF or Keto.

Biggest tip, make sure you get adequate sodium 3000-5000mg+. It may be beneficial to taper into it a bit to see how your body responses. And realize that calories still matter.
  • HeidiGrrrl
    HeidiGrrrl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yep, there's a bunch of us doing this diet. I've been doing it since June of last year, and am down 61 pounds. The biggest thing I have learned is that you can't just eat the right foods and hit your macros. If you aren't also watching your calorie intake, you may initially lose, but you won't keep losing for long. Maintenance is really easy to put yourself into, and so is weight gain. You still have to watch your calories and track, track, track!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Ditto @psuLemon. Come join the group and watch those electrolytes!
    I ate keto from Nov '15 til just recently. Now that I'm reverse dieting back up to maintenance, I'm keeping my macro ratios the same (15C/60F/25P) but that puts me out of keto range on carbs since my calorie level is now higher. Doing some experimenting with carb levels. I had some great benefits from keto/LCHF related to some medical conditions I have, so I plan to eat this way for life; just experimenting to see how much flexibility I have within LCHF before my symptoms start to come back.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Make sure you check your cholesterol after a few months.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    Join the group! I've been LCHF for over a year and half. Just had my cholesterol checked btw and it's awesome!
  • laurens47
    laurens47 Posts: 117 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

This group is full of people who do LCHF or Keto.

Biggest tip, make sure you get adequate sodium 3000-5000mg+. It may be beneficial to taper into it a bit to see how your body responses. And realize that calories still matter.

I would just like to add to this by telling you why you need to take in adequate sodium. Once you change your metabolic process going "keto", your body can no longer store sodium (glucose is a staple for sodium storage in the body) and gets flushed by the kidneys. Drink plenty of water and also take in the other 2 electrolytes, which are magnesium and potassium adequately as well. If you develop an electrolyte imbalance, you will feel horrible.