Forever Hungry...

Options
2»

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Chazzlette wrote: »
    I do meet my protein goal most days, as I eat plenty of fish and yoghurt. Fiber too, I reach that and sometimes exceed it. I'm losing maybe 1/2lbs a week, sometimes I gain for no reason thought ): I've slowly taken my calorie intake down over time from 1500 to 1230, should I increase it? I don't feel particularly lethargic, no more than usual anyway.
    I find when I have a day off I can easily not eat much, where I wake up later, but with my job I'm up at 6, get breakfast then I'm hungry again at 9/10. I snack often also

Re: satiety - unfortunately what works best is so individual it's really something you have to experiment with to see what suits you. Couple suggestions that seem to be common changes that people make that help them:

You might want to try changing your meal structure. Some people find they're more hungry when they eat breakfast than when they skip it and just eat lunch. Some people find they are more hungry when they have a bunch of small meals/snacks instead of fewer, larger meals.

Another thing to try is changing the macro breakdown of the meals. I don't know what you typically eat for breakfast, but for example, if you usually eat a protein-rich breakfast maybe a carb & fiber-rich breakfast would work better. Conversely, if you typically eat more carb & fiber for breakfast maybe a protein-rich breakfast would be better.

Of course, there's always upping protein or carbs or fats overall.
  • CassondraKennedy
    CassondraKennedy Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    It could be that the foods you're using from the database are incorrect and you're eating more calories than what you have logged. Have you double checked your entries with official websites like https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/? This helped me a lot when first getting started. A lot of the entries here are wrong and I found I was often choosing the lowest ones I could find. That was just cheating myself.

I use the brands exactly, and if I cant find them, I underestimate to make up for it. Is there a way to enter foods yourself on here? :/

There is! If the correct entry does not come up in the search, there is a link below the list of results that says "Add food to database" or something like that. I think you're doing a pretty good job of choosing foods, though. I had a look at your diary.

One more comment: I noticed you sometimes enter "1 tortilla" or "4 biscuits", etc. While I don't think one item logged like this would hurt your deficit, if you're not weighing items like these consistently, it leads me to wonder if you are truly weighing everything all the time. Something to reflect on.

Good luck!
  • Chazzlette
    Chazzlette Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    please open up your diary
    I think I have now (:

You did, thanks!

I agree with the comments to eat more. How tall are you? Unless you are a Little Person, 1230 isn't nearly enough calories for a 21 yo with an active job. What's your activity level set at? How much more weight do you want to lose total and what's your weekly weight loss goal set to?

If after you bump up your calories you are still hungry, try tweaking your macros. Yesterday, they were set at 60 carb, 16 fat, and 24 protein. Now, some people do fine on this but others are more full with more protein and fat, and less carbs.

I'm 5'5, and I believe its set at lightly active, I have another 30lbs to go to my goal weight, and its set at 2lbs a week. I tried to decrease my carbs but I could barely function with less, but I give tweaking my protein a go, which should help with my weight training anyway, thanks (:
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I find that intermittent fasting has really helped me control my hunger. I divide all my calories between 2 meals, so both meals are hearty and satisfying.

I figure that I'm going to by hungry by lunch time regardless if I eat breakfast or not. So I just save my calories and don't eat breakfast anymore. It was surprisingly easy to make the switch.
  • Chazzlette
    Options
    are you losing half a pound or 1 to 2 lbs a week? They way it was written it could be either and could change some answers. If you are losing 1-2 lbs per week you are doing just fine and should boost your calories up to try to satiate your hunger. I would attempt to have those calories be all fat and/or protein. Enter your stats into MFP with the lightly active setting and 1 lb per week and see what is says your calories should be before exercise.

If you are eating a lot of low-fat foods try switching to the full fat version - usually has less sugar and it leaves me feeling more satisfied long term.
    As for the sugar part of your post no need to worry about it if you don't have any issues with sugar such as diabetes especially if you are getting most of it from natural sources like fruit.

Ah yes, I see that now, it would be 1-2lbs a week. I try to avoid low fat stuff, especially with all those nasty sweeteners in, I mostly try to have naturally low fat foods, but I do have the odd "healthy" cereal bar or crisps
  • CassondraKennedy
    CassondraKennedy Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    are you losing half a pound or 1 to 2 lbs a week? They way it was written it could be either and could change some answers. If you are losing 1-2 lbs per week you are doing just fine and should boost your calories up to try to satiate your hunger. I would attempt to have those calories be all fat and/or protein. Enter your stats into MFP with the lightly active setting and 1 lb per week and see what is says your calories should be before exercise.

If you are eating a lot of low-fat foods try switching to the full fat version - usually has less sugar and it leaves me feeling more satisfied long term.
    As for the sugar part of your post no need to worry about it if you don't have any issues with sugar such as diabetes especially if you are getting most of it from natural sources like fruit.

Ah yes, I see that now, it would be 1-2lbs a week. I try to avoid low fat stuff, especially with all those nasty sweeteners in, I mostly try to have naturally low fat foods, but I do have the odd "healthy" cereal bar or crisps

1-2lbs per week is a great rate! You could probably stand to change your MFP settings to 1lb per week. That would definitely help with the hunger!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    I think I have now (:

You did, thanks!

I agree with the comments to eat more. How tall are you? Unless you are a Little Person, 1230 isn't nearly enough calories for a 21 yo with an active job. What's your activity level set at? How much more weight do you want to lose total and what's your weekly weight loss goal set to?

If after you bump up your calories you are still hungry, try tweaking your macros. Yesterday, they were set at 60 carb, 16 fat, and 24 protein. Now, some people do fine on this but others are more full with more protein and fat, and less carbs.

I'm 5'5, and I believe its set at lightly active, I have another 30lbs to go to my goal weight, and its set at 2lbs a week. I tried to decrease my carbs but I could barely function with less, but I give tweaking my protein a go, which should help with my weight training anyway, thanks (:

I've worked in restaurants and think you should set your activity level to Active. Also, with only 30 pounds to go, 2 pounds per week is too aggressive a rate of loss. Bump that down to 1 #/wk and enjoy those extra calories!

Also try eating more healthy fats. Easy to do with nuts. With the increase in calories, you can afford them now. :)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Oh! I thought it was half a lb. With 30 lbs left to go, set your goal to 1 lb per week and try to get a little more fat and protein to help with satiety. Good luck!
  • Chazzlette
    Options
    I think I have now (:

You did, thanks!

I've worked in restaurants and think you should set your activity level to Active. Also, with only 30 pounds to go, 2 pounds per week is too aggressive a rate of loss. Bump that down to 1 #/wk and enjoy those extra calories!

Also try eating more healthy fats. Easy to do with nuts. With the increase in calories, you can afford them now. :)

That sounds like an amazing plan haha
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I think 2lb per week is a bit ambitious, especially if you are still hungry. Perhaps bump it down to .5 or 1 lb and you will be at goal before you know it. And the advice about adding protein and healthy fats sounds pretty solid too, even if you don't raise your calories.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if "lightly active" is enough if you are a chef. I assume you're on your feet all day right? Do you track your activity with a tracker? Also 2 pounds per week might be a little aggressive if you are at 30 pounds to lose. I have a hunch that you are hungry because you might be burning more than you think. By your own description, your job is active and you exercise 6x per week.

How do you feel when you are "hungry". Do you lack energy? Do you stall in your workouts?