what do you use coconut oil for?

Options
2»

Replies

• mariazmabey
    mariazmabey Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I use it for brushing my teeth, a body lotion and it's nice to cook in your chicken :)
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Lube ...
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    BPC, low carb candy, cooking, and it's a great moisturizer.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's wonderful for baking, and I like it for cooking vegetables (what I call stir fries, but the non refined has a lower smoke point, similar to olive oil, so I wouldn't use it for actual high heat cooking).

It smells great if you like coconut. I admit that's a big reason I enjoy using it.
  • Timbur_Wolf
    Timbur_Wolf Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You really don't want to know...
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    LovesDogsAndBooks Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I ate 2 eggs today fried in coconut oil, and I actually liked them! The oil taste wasn't particularly strong, but it has such a nice fragrance while cooking. Glad I tried it.
  • Buttery_Char_dNay
    Buttery_Char_dNay Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Lubricant!
  • discerningdoll
    discerningdoll Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i use duck fat. amazing for fingerling potatoes.

I am German and love rendered pork fat! Used to gross out my American husband when my parents and I spread it on bread!

I'm English, and used to love pork dripping on toast. It was one of my Dads favourites as well - and he lived a long life.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Cooking, popcorn, skin moisturizer,.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Baking and cooking anything that will pair will with the light sweetness it has - thai food as mentioned above works particularly well. I add a tsp to my coffee every morning.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I use it for my hair. Mix it up with other oils
    Never thought about cooking with it

^
    This. My hairdresser suggested it. Works great, and it's the cheapest hair product I've ever bought.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    I use it to oil my coconuts.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I use it to oil my coconuts.

:*
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Popcorn. I know it's probably the absolute worst way to prepare it, but it's how to get authentic, old-school movie theatre popcorn flavor from a time before they switched to artificial "butter-flavoured topping". Pop in coconut oil and then use real butter and popcorn salt (it's much finer grained than table salt and coats the popcorn differently).
  • dskesse
    dskesse Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I make low carb dark chocolate with coconut oil
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    dskesse wrote: »
    I make low carb dark chocolate with coconut oil

What are the macros on that? High cocoa dark chocolate tends to be pretty low carb in any event
  • Rosie_McA
    Rosie_McA Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Perfect for stir fries.
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    It's great for dry skin and as a leave in hair conditioner...but the dietary benefits widely espoused lack evidence and are mostly marketing. I believe the peer reviewed literature suggests it's just another source of saturated fat and therefore best avoided
  • abs1970
    abs1970 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I use it for cooking, but I've also been told to add to my protein shake to increase calories.
    Oh and for you females out there...... it's the best way to remove waterproof mascara! :)
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    Popcorn. I know it's probably the absolute worst way to prepare it, but it's how to get authentic, old-school movie theatre popcorn flavor from a time before they switched to artificial "butter-flavoured topping". Pop in coconut oil and then use real butter and popcorn salt (it's much finer grained than table salt and coats the popcorn differently).

As long as it's in moderation and not hydrogenated coconut oil it's fine. I agree, it's one of my favorite ways to cook popcorn too.