New to Weight Lifting (Stronglifts 5x5)

So next week I plan to begin Stronglifts 5x5.

Total newbie to the weights world.

Hoping that I will fall in love with weight lifting.

My boyfriend goes to the gym to lift twice a week and he will be helping me. I will probably mimic that schedule even though it deviates from the original schedule. I'm not looking for instant results, and hoping to gradually go into this so I don't burn myself out like I always do. Also trying to integrate C25K into my schedule twice a week. I can do a 5k in 33mins already(not with consistent running yet though, hence the C25k program), so I feel safe altering the plan of that workout also.

Any advice for a 5'6, 23yr old female who is beginning to weight lift with no prior experience?

Also (random), I read about people peeing themselves while lifting/squatting. I am unable to squat any weight due to a knee injury, but are these type of accidents common? :| I'm not going to lie, that is a little off-putting on the whole weight lifting thing, but hopefully its not common, lol.

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    The peeing (and other bodily functions thing) I believe happens when the load is really heavy and when you're bracing real hard.

I haven't experienced it yet and I'm deadlifting 200lbs. I think it depends on the individual though.

My advice is start slow, work on form, read the website that has all the information on the program and do as much video watching/reading as you can. You don't have to increase the weights as fast as the program tells you to, especially if form is not great. It is easier to perfect your form at lighter loads than at a heavier load.

2x a week will just mean slower progress...but maybe if you really like it, you'll do the 3x a week. Who knows?

Allow for adequate recovery. So if the running is getting in the way of adequate recovery, I would find a way to move your schedule around so you can do both properly.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Peeing is not *supppsed* to happen, but it is fairly common. I'm also 23 and I've never had any issues with it. My recent maxes are 305 squat and 345 dead, and I do AMRAP sets pretty regularly where I lift to or near failure.
    I wouldn't worry about it. If it is a problem in the future there are things you can do to help.
    Are you doing anything in place if the squats?
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited April 2017
    You won't be peeing on light weight. Jus ease into it. Light weight, get the form right and off you go. You will enjoy, if not straight away in due time.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Echoing the start slow advice. Don't feel like you have to advance the weight every session; really get your form down and then progress. It will seem easy at first, but it doesn't stay easy for long. Don't worry about peeing. I've birthed three kids and never peed myself during my heaviest lifts. At least I don't think I did.

How are you able to run with a knee injury but not squat any weight? Not trying to be a douche, just trying to understand.
  • ejsilvi
    ejsilvi Posts: 205 Member
    5x5 works great do work into them slowly hope u have an idea what your Max's are 60 to 80 on a 5x5 is a good game plan make sure your protein is high at least body weight so a 130 lbs 130 grams good luck
  • Muscle_for_Fitness
    Muscle_for_Fitness Posts: 2,198 Member
    Best advice is to make sure you learn good technique first and focus on that. Stronglifts is a good program, follow it and it should guide you well.

And I don't think the peeing thing is common at all even at high weights.
  • kenzienal
    kenzienal Posts: 205 Member
    The peeing (and other bodily functions thing) I believe happens when the load is really heavy and when you're bracing real hard.

I haven't experienced it yet and I'm deadlifting 200lbs. I think it depends on the individual though.

My advice is start slow, work on form, read the website that has all the information on the program and do as much video watching/reading as you can. You don't have to increase the weights as fast as the program tells you to, especially if form is not great. It is easier to perfect your form at lighter loads than at a heavier load.

2x a week will just mean slower progress...but maybe if you really like it, you'll do the 3x a week. Who knows?

Allow for adequate recovery. So if the running is getting in the way of adequate recovery, I would find a way to move your schedule around so you can do both properly.

Oh thank goodness. At this point 200lbs seems like the impossible, so its nice to know i have a long way to go before even having to worry about that! And you are totally right about recovery. If it seems too much, i will probably knock the extra cardio days out, and just try to get on a 3 days a week schedule with the weights.
    Peeing is not *supppsed* to happen, but it is fairly common. I'm also 23 and I've never had any issues with it. My recent maxes are 305 squat and 345 dead, and I do AMRAP sets pretty regularly where I lift to or near failure.
    I wouldn't worry about it. If it is a problem in the future there are things you can do to help.
    Are you doing anything in place if the squats?

I havent quite thought of a replacement for squats either. I tore my meniscus a few years ago, and have minimal to no cartilage under my knee as a result. So squats are not in my future, not interested in reinjuring that knee.
  • kenzienal
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    How are you able to run with a knee injury but not squat any weight? Not trying to be a douche, just trying to understand.

Its not that I cant squat, its that I wont. Injury happened in 2009 or 2010. Tore my meniscus and never got it looked at. Lots of yoga and home remedies helped it eventually heal. It wasn't until these past two years that I have been able to build up the muscle around my knee to get rid of the daily aches and pains. I always ran in intervals with a brace, and my last 5k was the first time I didnt use a brace and experienced no pain or swelling. Its taken a long time to get this knee functioning again. I tried adding weights with a barbell last fall during a body pump class and it resulted in immediate swelling that lasted for days. I had an MRI done finally, and was told I had tendinitis, along with a lot of cartilage damage. Had to go to PT. I just can't bring myself to risk injuring the knee again after the years I put into getting it usable again.

I do normal squats with little issue now. Occasionally with light dumbells. But i wont ever add weights again. I jst don't want to risk it.

You didnt sound douchey at all :)
  • sammyliftsandeats
    kenzienal wrote: »

Its not that I cant squat, its that I wont. Injury happened in 2009 or 2010. Tore my meniscus and never got it looked at. Lots of yoga and home remedies helped it eventually heal. It wasn't until these past two years that I have been able to build up the muscle around my knee to get rid of the daily aches and pains. I always ran in intervals with a brace, and my last 5k was the first time I didnt use a brace and experienced no pain or swelling. Its taken a long time to get this knee functioning again. I tried adding weights with a barbell last fall during a body pump class and it resulted in immediate swelling that lasted for days. I had an MRI done finally, and was told I had tendinitis, along with a lot of cartilage damage. Had to go to PT. I just can't bring myself to risk injuring the knee again after the years I put into getting it usable again.

I do normal squats with little issue now. Occasionally with light dumbells. But i wont ever add weights again. I jst don't want to risk it.

Follow up question - are you replacing the barbell squat with something else then?

The barbell squat happens in both workouts A and B.

It kind of gets you started/warmed up for your other lifts.

• kenzienal

Follow up question - are you replacing the barbell squat with something else then?

Honestly, I hadn't got that far in my thinking yet lol. I have browsed the app once, but haven't given it much thought in regards to that being as I wasn't going to delve into the program until next week. I have never spent time in the weight room of a gym, so I wouldn't even know where to begin with a replacement. Hence I barely know where to begin with the rest of the lifts, thank goodness my boyfriend is going to do a full rundown with me.

Open to suggestions, though! Exactly why I figured I better make this post, lol.
  • sammyliftsandeats

Honestly, I hadn't got that far in my thinking yet lol. I have browsed the app once, but haven't given it much thought in regards to that being as I wasn't going to delve into the program until next week. I have never spent time in the weight room of a gym, so I wouldn't even know where to begin with a replacement. Hence I barely know where to begin with the rest of the lifts, thank goodness my boyfriend is going to do a full rundown with me.

Open to suggestions, though! Exactly why I figured I better make this post, lol.

The routine goes as follows:

Workout A:
    Barbell Squat
    Bench Press
    Barbell Row

Workout B:
    Barbell Squat
    Overhead Press
    Deadlift

And it alternates between those two workouts.

Squatting is a big part of the routine...and it is a compound movement that works a lot of joints and therefore, is quite effective in building strength.

Sometimes the back squat (which is the one in the program) is substituted by a front squat, or a landmine squat, or something else...but it's always a squat. So I am curious to see what would replace it.

I am not a coach, nor a trainer...so I don't know too much about what exercises replace what. I understand you not wanting to aggravate an existing injury - I just don't know how you'd work around the squats.
  • parkerpowerlift
    parkerpowerlift Posts: 196 Member
    So next week I plan to begin Stronglifts 5x5.

Total newbie to the weights world.

Hoping that I will fall in love with weight lifting.

My boyfriend goes to the gym to lift twice a week and he will be helping me. I will probably mimic that schedule even though it deviates from the original schedule. I'm not looking for instant results, and hoping to gradually go into this so I don't burn myself out like I always do. Also trying to integrate C25K into my schedule twice a week. I can do a 5k in 33mins already(not with consistent running yet though, hence the C25k program), so I feel safe altering the plan of that workout also.

Any advice for a 5'6, 23yr old female who is beginning to weight lift with no prior experience?

Also (random), I read about people peeing themselves while lifting/squatting. I am unable to squat any weight due to a knee injury, but are these type of accidents common? :| I'm not going to lie, that is a little off-putting on the whole weight lifting thing, but hopefully its not common, lol.

I almost feel like our fitness journeys mirror each other!

Former cardio bunny, current powerlifter!

I started C25K during June of 2014. Completed it by August 2014, then did C210K from August 2014 to January 2015. Lost 40 lbs from running.

I started Stronglifts 5x5 during March of 2015 and THAT was the catalyst for revving up my passion for women's strength training. I am a huge advocate for all women lifting---from recreationally lifting in the gym or home, powerlifting, Crossfit, Strongman, Olympic weightlifting. There are so many avenues that women can go into! I liked to run, but I love to lift! Stronglifts 5x5 is an EXCELLENT beginner's progressive heavy-lifting program.

I ran Stronglift's 3x/week, then ran on my off days. I lost an additional 10 lbs from incorporating lifting and my body did the most recomposition from lifting. October 2015 was when I was at my lowest recorded weight.

Life has happened and I gained a good bit of it back. I do a mixture of activities, from obstacle course racing to fun runs, etc. I began to notice that it is hard to balance distance running with powerlifting. Therefore, last October, I decided to put my full focus in on powerlifting.

I just competed in my very first sanctioned powerlifting meet on April 1. I would have NEVER thought in a thousand years that I would have ever left the convenience of my old garage gym or my old commercial gyms. Two years later, I hit the platform. My second meet will be in 11 weeks (beginning of July).

My advice is this: do not force yourself to do something if you absolutely hate it.

At the very beginning of the program, please do not try to cram your workouts back to back in 2 days. One week, my schedule was hectic and I tried to fit in my day one and day two workouts back to back, on a Monday and then a Tuesday. Heavy squatting two days in a row not only wrecked me, but I was more suspectible to injury. I later gave myself a hip flexor injury doing that!

Get plenty of sleep and stretching in!

Medhi will have you add 5 lbs onto your lifts either with each new session or add 5 lbs onto your lifts once a week. I don't remember which. Seeing the numbers grow on your squat/bench/deadlift/OHP and rows IS super exciting. However, if you are really struggling through a certain weight (especially with overhead press or bench press), there is NO shame in staying at the same weight. If you end up being stuck on 55 lbs for your OHP for a few weeks, then do so. I'd rather you be SAFE and use correct form and stay at one weight than try to "ego lift" and keep adding weight. I personally gave myself a handful of preventable injuries while running 6 months of Stronglifts because I was too prideful.

If you barely tolerate it at first, and then grow to love it, awesome. Lifting has become very empowering for me. I lost the self-consciousness in the gym when I "went into the weights section" with the guys. My confidence grew; I carry myself better. You begin to stop caring about the weight on the scale and you start to care about how much weight is on the bar.

Keep at it.

P.S.- it is NOT a good thing or normal to pee while squatting/deadlifting. It often is tied to a weak pelvic floor or other issues. A lot of women who have had kids can experience this. Some have had to go to a doctor for these issues and these non-sport friendly docs would encourage you to stop lifting. Honestly, I know of so many female athletes with incontinence issues who STILL lift. There ARE ways to treat it.
  • kenzienal

Workout A:
    Barbell Squat
    Bench Press
    Barbell Row

Workout B:
    Barbell Squat
    Overhead Press
    Deadlift

Squatting is a big part of the routine...and it is a compound movement that works a lot of joints and therefore, is quite effective in building strength.

Sometimes the back squat (which is the one in the program) is substituted by a front squat, or a landmine squat, or something else...but it's always a squat. So I am curious to see what would replace it.

I am not a coach, nor a trainer...so I don't know too much about what exercises replace what. I understand you not wanting to aggravate an existing injury - I just don't know how you'd work around the squats.

You've got a very good point. I see the dilemma.. I hope someone might be able to offer a replacement for that. Just very hesitant to do weighted squats.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited April 2017

Workout A:
    Barbell Squat
    Bench Press
    Barbell Row

Workout B:
    Barbell Squat
    Overhead Press
    Deadlift

You've got a very good point. I see the dilemma.. I hope someone might be able to offer a replacement for that. Just very hesitant to do weighted squats.

I read your update, but am quoting this post anyway. Preface: not a doctor, not a trainer, but I hear ya about the injury; I'm currently sidelined from all activity aside from walking, but when I'm cleared to work out again, I have the same fears you do. With that said, I'm not sure this is the best program for you to follow with your knee limitations just because of the amount of squatting that's written in, but that doesn't mean you can't modify it to fit your needs.

Let's start from the beginning...what are your goals? Even though it's a good beginner strength program and I, myself, started with it, not everybody needs to start with Stronglifts.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    I'd consider pt help for your knee and figuring out what to do instead.

Start slow. Form is key. Learn on your own and seek outside help. @squatuniversity on Instagram is great and will look at your videos. Lots of knowledgeable people around here and maybe some in your gym. But just because they lift doesn't mean they have great form. Sometimes form is very personal and depends on your build.

I've never peed lifting. Box jumps, on the other hand. I've had 3 quite large babies. Sneezing and laughing also make me pee myself and I'm not stopping those either.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    ^^ Yeah, I was just asking about replacement for the squats because that's a pretty good chunk of the program as you can see. Totally understand your decision not to do weighted squats, I just wasn't sure if you were planning to do the other lifts and skip them or replace. :)
    I'm not very familiar with knee injuries so I can't really offer any advice.. Ideally you'd want to get some leg specific movements in somewhere to keep things balanced though.

Ideas for alternative movements (again, not saying that these would definitely work for you, just some leg specific movements that aren't squats)... Maybe Leg press, leg curl/extension? Body weight lunges? If the leg press worked for you it would be possible to add the standard 5 lbs every time, but on any other movement I would work at your own pace.
    And as mentioned, depending on your goals SL may not be the best program for you. You can get strong with a hypertrophy program too!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member

Squatting is the biggest chunk of that particular program...you squat every workout.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    i'm another uninformed person, but i started with sl as well and in three years i've had several patches where i either couldn't squat or i refused to. it's a lift that i just can't get right, so i'm still fighting with it. that's not specific to stronglifts. my personal limitations came with me into 3x5 and wendler 5/3//1 too.

so imo, just because a programme says you should squat every workout doesn't mean there's no point in doing the programme at all if you can't. doing it is ideal, but not everyone comes to lifting with ideal capabilities.

@OP, during one of my own squat strikes, my trainer had me doing dimel deadlifts instead because he was worried about my posterior chain not getting enough work to keep up with the [real] deadlifting in particular. so you could look into that. however, keep in mind that i've had a range of reasons for refusing to squat, and knees have only been some of them. so even though dimels worked around my particular limitation you should still use your own discretion as to whether they would do the same thing for you.
  • kenzienal
    Would leg presses be an okay substitution? I know that I can handle those with a brace. and i LOVED doing leg presses back in high school. I bet I could seriously get some weight going there.

My goals? Honestly, not shooting very high here, but just some body recomp, and a workout that I enjoy. I just spent the last 10.5 weeks doing a workout that by the end I hated. I want to do something that I will enjoy, and continue to enjoy.

So far I have lost 12lbs through the CICO and IF 16:8, and only have 11 more pounds to lose before I hit my goal weight. I've never shot for a "flat stomach" or abs, because I just have never felt that is attainable with the scars on my stomach from surgery at birth. (Gastroschisis baby) I just want to feel comfortable in a bikini and not feel like my rolls are pouring everywhere lol. Im not shooting for the moon by any means.

My boyfriend does the Wendlers 5/3/1 and has had great success with it. I only picked Stronglifts because of the simple to use app (important to me), and rave reviews. If there is a better recommendation, I am all ears.