MFP protein goal changed?

Options
I logged my weight today, only a slight loss over last time, but my protein goal went up by 1. I don't think that ever happened before. If anything, I would assume that protein goal goes down over time, since it seems to be based on body weight?

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    If you log your weightlifting, or anything else, under cardio, it will raise your macros including your protein.

Did you log it under strength training and get a macro adjustment? I've not experienced one that way.
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    LovesDogsAndBooks Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I don't log my exercise at all, stopped doing that after the first week on here.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    It is most likely a result of rounding within the MFP algorithms. Probably in the conversion between pounds and kilograms in the calculations. I would guess there are lookup tables for varying gender, height, weight, and ages for protein recommendations, and by changing your weight stats, the rounding error bumped the protein up. You could have been at for example 80.49g before, which rounds down to 80, and the move changed that to 80.51g which would round to 81.
  • hannahhenryhaas
    hannahhenryhaas Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you log your weightlifting, or anything else, under cardio, it will raise your macros including your protein.

Did you log it under strength training and get a macro adjustment? I've not experienced one that way.

I've been trying to post this question for days. Mine changes almost daily...from low 60s to low 100s. So it's because of the exercise that's logged? (Sorry to hijack.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I've been trying to post this question for days. Mine changes almost daily...from low 60s to low 100s. So it's because of the exercise that's logged? (Sorry to hijack.)

Yes, if you log exercise it will change because of that.

I think it makes sense to pick a consistent number to aim for (I like .8 g/lb of a healthy goal weight, so low 60s would seem too low to me) and then eat to that number, or over if you want, but no need, regardless of exercise.
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    LovesDogsAndBooks Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    It is most likely a result of rounding within the MFP algorithms. Probably in the conversion between pounds and kilograms in the calculations. I would guess there are lookup tables for varying gender, height, weight, and ages for protein recommendations, and by changing your weight stats, the rounding error bumped the protein up. You could have been at for example 80.49g before, which rounds down to 80, and the move changed that to 80.51g which would round to 81.

Well, that must be it, because I had initially logged my weight in kg (European mindset still) and only today changed it to lb to make it consistent with my scale and everything else. Thanks!