Why is this SOOOO much harder this time?

Options
When I was 24 (15 years ago!) I lost about 50 lbs. and it was easy!

I ate around 100 calories for breakfast, worked out for an hour or hour and a half, at 350 or 400 calories for lunch, a 150 calorie snack or so and maybe a 600 calorie dinner. On the weekends I relaxed a little and didn't count calories, went out for dinner, etc.

And it was easy! I wasn't hungry all the time, I found it simple and enjoyable. After I lost the weight I kept it off for about 2 years and then I gained it back.

So this time around I am STRUGGLING to keep even 1,500 calories a day. I am STARVING all of the time. Just famished. Is this because I am older? More tired? Different hormones?

I have two kids now and I'm still breastfeeding (a two year old - so I can't imagine this makes THAT much of a difference).

I'm trying to eat lots of veggies. I'm adding fats to food (like walnuts) to keep satiated - but it's not helping! (And wow - walnuts add up calories fast!!)

Any insight to feeling fuller would be much appreciated!

Stats:

39 year old female, 188 lbs, 5'9".

Thank you!

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,181 Member
    Options
    Make your diary public. If you've been accurately and honestly logging, we'd be able to suggest something.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    The breastfeeding probably isn't helping - some people struggle with weight loss while doing it.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Options
    Your calorie deficit is too big? Try switching MFP goals to 0.5 pounds lost per week.

I'm 5'9, 170 lbs, 42 years old, and losing on 2015 calories a day.

Read through this chart. If there's anything listed you can do better, try that as well.
    pkdlojke0vco.jpg
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't be torture.

Suggest you start at a calorie level where you are comfortable, even if it's maintenance level. Then work on your macro choices and start dialing down the target. I would expect your body craves more since you are breastfeeding.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I am a volume eater. High fat days actually leave me starving because they generally mean less volume. If I'm having a ravenous day I would be more satisfied eating a TON of veggies.
  • wcs036
    wcs036 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started taking a Apple cider vinegar concoction, it curbed my hunger really well. Between breakfast and lunch I'll eat 400 to 600 calories which leaves 600 for dinner.
  • elleaitch11
    elleaitch11 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's harder because you are 39 instead of 24. Our bodies work differently now. How much weight are you trying to lose? If you are breastfeeding, your body is still in "save the children" mode and will likely hold on to every last ounce. There are calculators you can use to figure out how many calories you should add for breastfeeding. You need to up what you are eating and realize it may be slow going until you are done breastfeeding.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,871 Member
    Options
    It's harder because you are 39 instead of 24.

Yup. I'm finding it harder at 37 than it was at 32. Which is exactly why I decided to get off my kitten and do it now - ain't gettin any easier!

You have kids. You're breastfeeding. The demands on your time, mind, and body are COMPLETELY different than they were 15 years ago. Be gentle on yourself, and make sure you've set reasonable calorie goals. You may need some extra fuel right now and focus on weight loss more after you wean.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Your calorie deficit is too big? Try switching MFP goals to 0.5 pounds lost per week.

I'm 5'9, 170 lbs, 42 years old, and losing on 2015 calories a day.

Read through this chart. If there's anything listed you can do better, try that as well.
    pkdlojke0vco.jpg

Is this because you are a powerlifter? I am 5'9" 170 lbs and I eat 1600 calories to lose. I am curious why 2015. I would gain on that.