ALDI Favorites??

Replies

• LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    LOVE Aldi! Fresh and frozen produce are musts, and then I love their light cheese spread, (their version of Laughing Cow cheese spread-each container has 6 triangles and each triangle is only 25 calories). I'm also in love with their sprouted 7 grains bread-tastes great and each slice is only 60 calories! I toast two slices every morning and then 'butter' them with 1 triangle of the light cheese spread, along with 1 fried egg, a sprinkling of their real bacon bits and then a slice of tomato. Fantastic breakfast sandwich for just over 200 calories :smiley:

That sounds delicious! I'm going to have to try that.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    The only thing I'm not crazy about at Aldi is their ranch dressing. I prefer Kraft anyway. I do get their unsweetened Almond milk and for those who eat it, mine now carries the Kerrygold butter. We also get their turkey bacon a lot, as well as their ready-made burger patties which not as good as making them from scratch but good enough and easy when you're busy. We usually make half the pkg of burgers as hamburgers and the other we cook with peppers and add brown gravy to make Salisbury steak.
  • sabinaholtby
    sabinaholtby Posts: 73 Member
    I'm curious about the protein powder too! Also plan on trying the breakfast idea. I always buy the cheap bread because it's 60 cal/slice, never looked at the healthier ones! So excited.
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    edited April 2017
    I'm curious about the protein powder too! Also plan on trying the breakfast idea. I always buy the cheap bread because it's 60 cal/slice, never looked at the healthier ones! So excited.

It's in their 'specialty' bread area-like where the bagels/English muffins/ciabatta/Italian breads are. It's pricier than their regular bread (2.99 here), but I love the taste of it and because it's sprouted it's supposed to have some sort of extra health benefits (what I'm not really sure of lol). It's pretty much a knock off of the Ezekiel sprouted breads. Here's what it looks like-this is the low sodium version, but I just get the regular one (it has red package trim instead of blue)
    https://www.aldi.us/en/grocery-home/aldi-brands/simplynature/pantry/pantry-detail/ps/p/simplynature-knock-your-sprouts-off-sprouted-7-gra-1/

eta: because of lack of preservatives it's best stored in the freezer!
  • JPotamus
    JPotamus Posts: 33 Member
    We love Aldi. There are great deals on eggs, produce, nuts, and they have a cherry chocolate ice-cream that rivals Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Spicy guacamole and hummus.
  • mmarshall74
    mmarshall74 Posts: 183 Member
    They have a new elevation protein bar... Mint Chocolate... 260cal.. 20g protein... tastes just like girl scout thin mints!!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Kerry Gold cheeses
    Elevation protein bars
    Chicken breasts and thighs (boneless, skinless)
    93% lean ground beef
    Vino Fuerte Tempranillo
    Fit and Active petite diced tomatoes no salt added
    any dairy (yogurt, milk, butter, etc)
    produce in season. Mine has blueberries right now for $1.49 a pint
    Fit and Active Brown rice
    Pur Aqua Black cherry sparkling water beverage
    Can't think of the rest.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Benton's Fudge Mint, Caramel Coconut, and Peanut Butter Patties rival Girl Scout cookies.

Bagged salads and other produce.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Just curious but has anyone tried the protein powder they sell? I'm considering trying it but its a pretty big container.

I have tried both the vanilla and chocolate. Both are whey protein, which is good because I can not stand the taste of soy protein. I weigh out 1/3 scoop (16g) vanilla protein for my frozen fruit-kefir-almond milk smoothies, so the whey taste is not too strong. I mix 1/5 scoop (10g) chocolate protein in a container of 150g Greek yogurt and also mix in a little crushed Millville sweet granola any flavor; it's great for a late night chocolate parfait snack.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,243 Member
    Eggs
    Produce specials or even just their normal priced stuff (if other stores don't have sales)
    Meat (been perfectly happy with their chicken/beef/pork)
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    The kale salad kit is awesome I am also a huge fan of the fit and active Greek yogurt and the fit and active 40 calories per slice bread
  • LonniJay
    LonniJay Posts: 3,740 Member
    Love the Elevation bars as a super tasty low carb treat that help keep my cravings at bay. My favorite is the caramel nut bar :p . I love everything at Aldi. They make eating right affordable and delicious! Produce is number one and their seafood is reasonable. I can afford to buy and eat shrimp!
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Kerry Gold cheeses
    Elevation protein bars
    Chicken breasts and thighs (boneless, skinless)
    93% lean ground beef
    Vino Fuerte Tempranillo
    Fit and Active petite diced tomatoes no salt added
    any dairy (yogurt, milk, butter, etc)
    produce in season. Mine has blueberries right now for $1.49 a pint
    Fit and Active Brown rice
    Pur Aqua Black cherry sparkling water beverage
    Can't think of the rest.

I love the cranberry water.
  • teenytinyprincesspea
    teenytinyprincesspea Posts: 33 Member
    Guys... This spinach artichoke hummus is reeeeaaaaaaaaaaallly good. Also like... I bought so much produce for so cheap I am floored. And i'm really excited about this pineapple poblano guac. Only thing I could have probably gotten cheaper from elsewhere were my egg whites.
  • cardiacmommy
    cardiacmommy Posts: 52 Member
    I buy almost all groceries there now. My Family feels many of the products are superior to name brand. Really like the dairy..Especially sour cream. They have wonderful baguettes. I've had to quit buying then because I could not resist slicing off a hunk to toast and add butter. So delicious. Naan is also a great buy. My hubby uses them to make personal pizzas. The pita chips are wonderful.
    Love all the produce esp the pineapples and bell peppers and zucchini. They carry my all time favorite Cara Cara oranges. We have just discovered the Indian sauces. Very easy dinner in the instant pot. Throw in some chicken tenderloins or thighs dump a jar of the sauce and cook about 20 minutes. Then make a batch of Jasmine rice in my extra pot 4 minutes. Simple and delicious and have leftovers. I buy all my meat. The cubed steak is also good. Brown t in instant pot with sliced onions and mushrooms. Mix up a packet of the low sodium brown gravy and set for about 20 minutes. Yum. I've also been digging the brussel sprouts. I slice them up and saute with some garlic. Yum!
    They also have a very good turkey kielbasa. Slice up and saute with onions and bell pepper and then add 2c Jasmine rice and 2c broth or water. Instant pot 4 minutes. A very easy supper. I don't know if this is a bigger ad for Aldi or instant pot but I love both!
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    I buy almost all groceries there now. My Family feels many of the products are superior to name brand. Really like the dairy..Especially sour cream. They have wonderful baguettes. I've had to quit buying then because I could not resist slicing off a hunk to toast and add butter. So delicious. Naan is also a great buy. My hubby uses them to make personal pizzas. The pita chips are wonderful.
    Love all the produce esp the pineapples and bell peppers and zucchini. They carry my all time favorite Cara Cara oranges. We have just discovered the Indian sauces. Very easy dinner in the instant pot. Throw in some chicken tenderloins or thighs dump a jar of the sauce and cook about 20 minutes. Then make a batch of Jasmine rice in my extra pot 4 minutes. Simple and delicious and have leftovers. I buy all my meat. The cubed steak is also good. Brown t in instant pot with sliced onions and mushrooms. Mix up a packet of the low sodium brown gravy and set for about 20 minutes. Yum. I've also been digging the brussel sprouts. I slice them up and saute with some garlic. Yum!
    They also have a very good turkey kielbasa. Slice up and saute with onions and bell pepper and then add 2c Jasmine rice and 2c broth or water. Instant pot 4 minutes. A very easy supper. I don't know if this is a bigger ad for Aldi or instant pot but I love both!

I've looked at this before but couldn't figure out what to do with it-thanks for the pizza idea!
  • Ketolover71
    Ketolover71 Posts: 68 Member
    I always get my blocks of cheese there. It is cheap and is real cheese, no cornstarch or potato starch added. I shred my own cheese!
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    This isn't exactly healthy but I'm absolutely addicted to the Senor Rico rice pudding and, as someone previously mentioned, the fudge mint cookies.