Help! I am working out, but gaining weight. Where did I go wrong?

Options
I have been working on my weight loss for over a year. I started with small changes (although, I still have bad days) and have lost 30 pounds total. I knew I needed to add some exercise in so I am trying to work out 4-5 days a week. I have done this for two weeks and I have gained weight and feel like I am starving even though I am staying within my calorie range. Is this normal? Will it even out soon?

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Agree with posters above
  • RCGibby45
    RCGibby45 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Since I started tracking calories on here (along with my exercise) I try to eat within the calories it allows for with the additional calories. I am thinking I need to really look at what I am eating versus just the calories of it as a next step. I weigh my food that doesn't come in a package. Looking over my food diary, I realize I am doing well with the calorie range, but not so much on the nutrient rich stuff. I used to hate tracking, but since I was slowly losing weight, I didn't worry about it so much. As for exercise -- should I try to drink more than the 8 cups of water that is recommended?

By the way I really appreciate the help and advice. I have never reached out in a forum before.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I usually carry an extra 2-4 pounds when working out consistently. Muscles need water to recover.

Are you measuring with a tape and or taking photos? If not, start now. This can help show changes the scale won't.

I, personally aim for 100-150 oz of water a day.
  • planetcadillac
    planetcadillac Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    How is your sodium count? I am on a water pill and I use a salt substitute for seasoning and limit my sodium to 1,500mg/day. I drink usually around 2 liters of water per day. Mostly lemon water with a slight dash of Stevia to cut the tang. Otherwise occasionally a Mio shot with my Metamucil.
  • RCGibby45
    Options
    Lots to think about. I disagree about cutting the calories so much. I already feel hungry as I am working out timing for meals and snacks and meet the calorie intake I have. Plus, I am not focused on losing weight overnight or fast. I am going for sustainable and healthy weight loss. I don't want to ever put it back on. Thank you for the advice to ignore. I will keep you all posted on how the next couple weeks go as I am introducing exercise and drinking more water.
  • RCGibby45
    Options
    How is your sodium count? I am on a water pill and I use a salt substitute for seasoning and limit my sodium to 1,500mg/day. I drink usually around 2 liters of water per day. Mostly lemon water with a slight dash of Stevia to cut the tang. Otherwise occasionally a Mio shot with my Metamucil.

My sodium count is going over each day. I don't add salt to my foods, it is just in them. I will set sodium limit as my goal next week to make sure I am aware of it. I like lemon water with cucumber. Drinking plain water is a challenge.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,192 Member
    Options
    RCGibby45 wrote: »
    Lots to think about. I disagree about cutting the calories so much. I already feel hungry as I am working out timing for meals and snacks and meet the calorie intake I have. Plus, I am not focused on losing weight overnight or fast. I am going for sustainable and healthy weight loss. I don't want to ever put it back on. Thank you for the advice to ignore. I will keep you all posted on how the next couple weeks go as I am introducing exercise and drinking more water.

You just started a new workout, if you were eating the same way before, you are not gaining fat you are putting on water weight in your muscles needed for them to recover from your workout. I have no doubt about that since the only thing you say you have changed is working out. I guess the only exception to this would be if you are eating your exercise calories, then if they are overstated, you may be eating too much. If you are not eating them back, or better yet only eating a portion of them back, say 50%, then I highly doubt you are eating too much. Instead, your body is doing what it is supposed to be doing, and the water weight will settle down when it gets used to the new workout level.

As for your sodium count. If you are eating about the same amount of sodium every day, your kidneys are used to processing that amount and baring some medical issue, you would not be retaining water beyond what you normally have.

All this basically shows why scales are not a helpful measure of progress on their own. There are too many things that can result in weight change that have nothing to do with fat loss or gain. Body measurements and photos along with the scale can help see positive change even when the scale is not showing it.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Give it 2-3 weeks and you'll probably see a 'woosh' on the scale.

My husband just did this same thing. Was really irritated because eating at a big deficit (he is a guy and has 50 pounds to lose) he 'only' lost 4 pounds in the prior 4 weeks. This right after getting back to running 2-3 times a week. Then in the past 2 days the scales have dropped 5 pounds total. He did not really lose 4 in 4 weeks and 5 in 2 days. He lost 9 in a month but for a while the water held in his muscles was hiding the weight loss results.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Since I started tracking calories on here (along with my exercise) I try to eat within the calories it allows for with the additional calories. I am thinking I need to really look at what I am eating versus just the calories of it as a next step. I weigh my food that doesn't come in a package. Looking over my food diary, I realize I am doing well with the calorie range, but not so much on the nutrient rich stuff. I used to hate tracking, but since I was slowly losing weight, I didn't worry about it so much. As for exercise -- should I try to drink more than the 8 cups of water that is recommended?

By the way I really appreciate the help and advice. I have never reached out in a forum before.

Agreed with those saying fluid retention.

I just wanted to also respond to the bolded:

Prepackaged food can be +/- 20% off from the weight stated on the package and foods such as eggs, deli meat, eggs are almost always a different weight.

Weigh everything that isn't a liquid
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    If someone already said this I apologize but you may want to consider measurements if you're starting a workout routine. A lot of people seem to lose inches but not as much scale weight, and really, if we're honest, its the inches a lot of us likely want. You may be losing and not even realize it.
  • ellojenn
    ellojenn Posts: 14 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    You're working out and starving so that tells me one thing: You need to eat more. Especially if you're going hard in your workouts. You've probably hit the plateau where your body is clinging to every morsel and while it doesn't make sense, your body will either turn that into extra weight, whether fat, muscle or water weight. But you being hungry tells me it might be fat or water weight. Add 200-300 extra calories into your diet and see if that helps. I just went through this. Also, do you stick to your calorie count on days you don't work out or do you lower it?
  • mrschwarten
    mrschwarten Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I am thinking I need to really look at what I am eating versus just the calories of it as a next step.

This made a huge difference for me. I'm sure you've read a million times on this site, CICO. But I feel totally different on days that I hit my protein goals compared to days I don't, regardless of calories. This change can also help improve other areas of your well-being too! Good luck, keep us updated!!

• hjsparker
    hjsparker Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have been working on my weight loss for over a year. I started with small changes (although, I still have bad days) and have lost 30 pounds total. I knew I needed to add some exercise in so I am trying to work out 4-5 days a week. I have done this for two weeks and I have gained weight and feel like I am starving even though I am staying within my calorie range. Is this normal? Will it even out soon?

You will feel more hungry. Your body is wired to retain it's current state for survival, so when you start to stress it by exercising it increases your hunger to compensate and try to maintain your weight. You will get used to it. In saying that, trying to eat more nutrient dense, whole foods will definitely help your satiety. For example, instead of reaching for a candy bar (not that this is what you do) at 3pm, reach for a piece of fruit sliced into full fat greek yoghurt. If that doesn't help the sweet cravings, try a teaspoon of honey on top. The fibre helps keep you regular, the protein keeps you full and the sweet satisfies your cravings.

With your water, aim for an extra litre of water per hour of exercise per day. So if you are working out half an hour a day, try to drink an extra couple of glasses of water. I'm not sure about others but I usually drink around 3 litres of water a day and an extra 3-4 cups of coffee as well as any liquids from food. I don't have an issue drinking water but I know some do. I've found that half a fresh lemon in your water bottle helps as it gives it a little something extra, but you could try other fruits like sliced watermelon and strawberries. Herbal teas with no caffeine can also be great as they have no calories, no caffeine and you can often drink them cold quite easily. Try brewing a big batch of a herbal tea you like and add extra chopped fruit to the mix!

Hang in there, I promise your body will stop fighting the change in time and accept the new norm (the scale plummet others have mentioned)

• TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I was consistently hitting my calories plus some exercise calories but started having some digestive issues (way too much raw fruit & veg) and my fat was always very low. I started replacing some of the fruit/veg with nuts and/or added a protein & fat component in with them (fruit & cheese, apple dipped in PB, raw veggies with hummus) and it helped fix my issue and I feel a lot less hungry and notice that I am actually eating a couple hundred fewer calories than I was before.
    I drink a boatload of water but about half of it is iced teas or has Mio or Stur flavoring drops added to it. Makes it really easy to got way more than the recommended 8 cups/day.
  • RCGibby45
    Options
    ellojenn wrote: »
    You're working out and starving so that tells me one thing: You need to eat more. Especially if you're going hard in your workouts. You've probably hit the plateau where your body is clinging to every morsel and while it doesn't make sense, your body will either turn that into extra weight, whether fat, muscle or water weight. But you being hungry tells me it might be fat or water weight. Add 200-300 extra calories into your diet and see if that helps. I just went through this. Also, do you stick to your calorie count on days you don't work out or do you lower it?

To answer the question - I usually just eat when I am hungry, but sometimes that would be nothing at all. Since, I started working out I have been eating at my calorie count every day.
  • RCGibby45
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the support and ideas. I have some new goals to set. First to add nutrient rich foods and take away more of the processed junk. I drank 9 glasses of water today and only two ounces of Dr. Pepper which was just enough to enjoy the moment. I am really trying to get rid of that. I really like teas, so maybe I will try to incorporate more of that as I get used to drinking all this water. I am going to take my measurements and see how that goes. Someone at work told me to eat protein before working out and it will help with the hunger. Is that true? I was starving earlier this week but today, I feel pretty good. I also have more energy than I normally do on a Thursday.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to make all these changes in your last post. Tighten up your logging, you said you don't weigh prepackaged stuff, which if you did, you would see that prepackaged stuff is usually over by several grams. Things can be as much as 20% more than stated, which depending on the food, can be a lot of calories over the course of a day.