Is it appropriate

Options
So today I was in the cardio room, on treadmill a lady came in and got on treadmill next to me, she had so much body spray or perfume on I couldn't breath I had to stop an move to other side of room. I noticed a couple of others left at same time breathing harder. Is it okay to say something or just move.

Replies

• radicalmom
    radicalmom Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If this is at gym, ask them to post a sign about fragrances, etc.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I'd move treadmills. The wrong scents can give me a migraine. Would I say something to her or the gym management? Probably not.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I'd say something, but that's me. I confront problems directly. If I'm stinking up the place I'd want someone to tell me.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    I find people who wear perfume give zero kittens about how it impacts others. I've spoken to a few and It just taught me not to because they don't care. I have asthma and will also get migraines from heavy perfume.

I'd move, and then mention it to the staff. I already saw online my gym has a no perfume in the locker room policy which I'm looking forward to. My last gym had no such policy so you just had to move, even if it meant switching up my plan for the day which sucked.

Agree with this 100%. It can really trigger the asthma and even after I move I can feel a grainy feeling in my throat. I would definitely say something to the staff.
  • crowleyed72
    crowleyed72 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'll take your perfumed lady if you take my smoker dude.

I hope they aren't smoking in the gym or is it the S.O. lol mine does to really sucks that she does on they way there
  • NEMom80
    NEMom80 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    We have someone at my work that comes in and is a smoker and tries to cover it up with perfume. It is the worst smell ever. She smells like she rolled around in an ashtray and dumped the perfume bottle on her. It give me a headache every time she walks through my office.
  • hesfeld
    hesfeld Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I always dislike when I finish using cardio or machine and I can smell the previous person's cologne, aftershave, or perfume on my hands. Not enough hand washing can take some of those scents away.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would say anything unless maybe it happened repeatedly from the same person. But it IS very irritating when you have to smell that while working out - literally makes me nauseated.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    This happened to me except it was at an IHOP and ruined the taste of my pancakes. :(
  • SpotLighttt
    SpotLighttt Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    So today I was in the cardio room, on treadmill a lady came in and got on treadmill next to me, she had so much body spray or perfume on I couldn't breath I had to stop an move to other side of room. I noticed a couple of others left at same time breathing harder. Is it okay to say something or just move.

I am hoping someday someone will say something to these selfish women.
    I personally dont have it in me but when they are drowning in perfume, it is VERY migraine/vomit inducing at the gym.

Likewise with people who don't change their gym clothes, therefore their BO is drying and building over, again and again. YUCK. That is one unique type of BO smell which is UNBEARABLE!
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    bikemom06 wrote: »
    We have someone at my work that comes in and is a smoker and tries to cover it up with perfume. It is the worst smell ever. She smells like she rolled around in an ashtray and dumped the perfume bottle on her. It give me a headache every time she walks through my office.

My mother had a double lung transplant last year after being on O2 for over a year. I am sooooooooooo tired of taking her through the hospital entrance doors both before and after the transplant and having to walk through the "wall of smoke" from the smokers sitting outside the doors (despite some sign saying the policy is no smoking within a certain number of feet from the doors). Come on people!? Oxygen tanks not enough of a "push" to move away from the doors? Hopefully her new lungs wont be hurt by it. Have some common sense/decency. I wont even start on walmart...
  • WorshipHK
    WorshipHK Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    If it were me I'd let it slide the first time but if it happened again I'd go to the front and ask about their perfume policy and see if a staff member could let her know that it's too much.

I second this. It would be better to say something to staff and let them handle it.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Fortunately, I don't have allergies/migraine with fragrances. I just really hate it unless it's so weak you just get a hint of it every now and again - and I have a damn good sense of smell.

If I were in your shoes, I'd say something if I couldn't get away from the smell. If it was a co-worker and we HAD to work in close proximity, for example. Otherwise, I'd just move away from it. If it's bad enough where multiple people are avoiding her, she'll figure it out. If it's just me being more sensitive than most, then we'll both go our merry ways. No harm, no foul.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    It is worth mentioning, either to the staff, preferable, or to the perfume wearer.

Quite often the wearer's nose has become desensitized to the perfume and they gradually apply more and more without realizing it, or realizing it has got to an offensive level.

Makes me think of my grandma who use to reek of lavender. She didn't think she did; me and my sisters use to gag.

Cheers, h.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    I agree with letting it slide the first time. If it happens again, I'd go to management.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options

I personally dont have it in me but when they are drowning in perfume, it is VERY migraine/vomit inducing at the gym.

Likewise with people who don't change their gym clothes, therefore their BO is drying and building over, again and again. YUCK. That is one unique type of BO smell which is UNBEARABLE!

To be fair, it's definitely not just women. I have had this problem MANY times with men. Lay off the Axe body spray, guys.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

To be fair, it's definitely not just women. I have had this problem MANY times with men. Lay off the Axe body spray, guys.

Oh, good. I'm not the only one often assaulted by Axe. Anyone else think it smells like bug spray?