Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

It's not as simple as just being under your calorie count for the day??

Options
2»

Replies

• allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    At the end of each day what is your macro profile looking like?

Since I have it handy, about 50% carb (446g, 196 or 22% of which are sugar), 35% fat (135g), 15% protein (124g), 43g fiber.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I found when I synced my fitness tracker to MFP that I ended up gaining weight. I would recommend un-syncing your fitbit to MFP and ONLY logging actual exercise and not logging your steps walked according to fitbit. When I fixed this I started losing again. I think the error rate of fitness trackers makes them not a candidate for syncing with sites like MFP in general. And I was careful that I wasn't "double dipping" in terms of synced steps/calories and exercise. Besides tightening up your logging (b/c that's super important!), un-sync your fit bit. If you exercise, then put that into MFP and you can figure out if you can eat back some, none, or all of those exercise calories. But adding back in steps you take in a day, I found is not a good idea.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    This: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list is a great site to use to get calories for food. Many MFP database entries are off. Compare them to this before you use.

Also beware of portion sizes. If the snack bar says 210 calories, serving size 30g, weigh that sucker. it may be 32g which would make it 224 calories.

Calorie counting is a great way to keep your basic math skills working.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    Only a pro athlete can eat 4k calories a day and expect to lose weight.
    Get real about how much you are actually exercising.

Thanks for speaking about the entire population for us.
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    Looking at that diary I think you need to reduce that intake quite a bit. I always find MFP calculator way off. There's a ton of carbs there and hardly any protein. 8 cans of ice tea something, 24oz coke? dude cmon you're on a cut, cut that *kitten* out.

The way I eat has carbs lower than protein and about equal with fats, sure its hard to do but it is doable.

make some basic rules and follow them, then when you're comfortable add more rules. Maybe start with:

Replace your drinks with water, no exceptions.
    Make protein sources the largest part of the meal.
    Reduce or eliminate condiments.

good luck
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    ebrucef wrote: »
    THANK Y'ALL SO MUCH. So don't eat back all of my exercise calories. Buy a scale, got one today see the picture below, weigh my food instead of measuring it. Make sure to accurately log my entries in MFP. Eat more protein and figure out what my "micro profile" is. That's all doable thanks. If there is anything I missed please let me know.

Slight correction, MACRO, not micro. Even that, just be sure you get adequate protein and fat, let the rest fall where they may.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    I agree with @MrStabbems . I never waste my calories on drinks. save them for food. and I don't see alot of drink entries and maybe thats because your drinking water? when you do have a drink its full on mega calories.

drinks can wreck ya.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I found when I synced my fitness tracker to MFP that I ended up gaining weight. I would recommend un-syncing your fitbit to MFP and ONLY logging actual exercise and not logging your steps walked according to fitbit. When I fixed this I started losing again. I think the error rate of fitness trackers makes them not a candidate for syncing with sites like MFP in general. And I was careful that I wasn't "double dipping" in terms of synced steps/calories and exercise. Besides tightening up your logging (b/c that's super important!), un-sync your fit bit. If you exercise, then put that into MFP and you can figure out if you can eat back some, none, or all of those exercise calories. But adding back in steps you take in a day, I found is not a good idea.

I get what you're saying, but for me, anything over around 2000 steps is intentional exercise. before getting a fitbit my max steps per day if i was busy was around 3,000, barely enough to even register a positive adjustment on mfp.

After fitbit, i aim for a minimum of 15k steps everyday.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I'm going to chime in and echo arrive if the advice above.

Drinking your calories means not having as many to eat. You can do no calorie drinks like water, iced tea, etc. Nuun electrolyte replacement tabs add 5 kcal to a glass of water, a bottle of Gatorade is 200 which could be a decent snack. Milk is my occasional exception because it's a good source of protein.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Man, I'm 5'6", in the 290s, and have lightly active set in my MFP settings and a 2lb/wk weight loss has me at 1960 a day. While men and women do have slightly different caloric needs I'm thinking 3000+ is probably shooting you closer to maintainance than loss.

That being said, I work at a job where I'm walking a good 10+ miles a day as well... I tend to underestimate cals burned from activity and over-estimate calories consumed, because that's usually the case. Good on you for getting a scale. Only liquids should be measured in a cup. Hopefully everything folks are saying will help you out! Good luck! Don't get discouraged.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    ccsernica wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I think you have a typo in there. I can't see how you would lose over 100lbs in 5 weeks.

Other than that detail, I would suggest starting with reviewing your logging. Are you tracking everything accurately? There are some very common errors in logging: 1) not tracking everything, 2) tracking by volume, package, or eyeballing, 3) using the incorrect database entry. All three of these possibilities can throw off your results.

Are you eating all those calories that your tracker is adjusting? Some of the trackers can be significantly off.

There was a time over a period of several months when I combined these two errors to underestimate my intake by around 700 calories most days. Because I was did a lot of exercise I was losing anyway, until I stalled out for 3 weeks at one point. That finally made me take a good hard look at what I was doing, and I was totally kittened off when I realized what I'd been doing. Once you get used to logging a certain food a certain way, you tend to keep on without thinking much about it, so it's easy for an early error, as mine was, to perpetuate itself a long time.

This happens a lot!

I HATE bad database entries. I tried to log butter and it came out as basically 1kcal/gram. I caught it and changed my 5g of butter to my pre-scale logging of 1/2 tbsp (50 kcal) (just went with fat = 9kcal/g, butter is basically all fat and might as well round up on the calories [5x9=45]). If I wasn't paying attention, or using it in the recipe builder, that could've massively thrown off my log!