Some suggestions on what to eat when you have no appetite

Options
The past few days I have barely eaten because of lack of appetite. I know not eating anything is not healthy, but I don't see me regaining my appetite anywhere in the near future.

What are some foods (has to be gluten, wheat, pat and barley free) that you eat when you know you have to eat something but don't have an appetite?

Replies

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    what happened that caused you to lose appetite in a way that you don't see it changing in the future??
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    what happened that caused you to lose appetite in a way that you don't see it changing in the future??

My twin brother is in ICU on life support and prognosis is not good at all. Been spending almost 24 hours a day there.
  • Muscleflex79
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

My twin brother is in ICU on life support and prognosis is not good at all. Been spending almost 24 hours a day there.

oh, sorry to hear, what about some kind of shake or smoothie so you could at least get some protein in?
  • elphie754
    Options

oh, sorry to hear, what about some kind of shake or smoothie so you could at least get some protein in?

Could do that. Any recommendations on a good premade shake? Don't think I'd want to hassle making one myself.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    if you have no appetite and are barely eating try high calorie items that will get you through the day without passing out...such as fast food or pizza etc.

and have at least some water or juice with you .

Put some protein bars etc in a bag for munching on when you think of it.
  • cozytimes
    cozytimes Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    homemade shakes or ice cream? maybe some higher calorie fats/foods, like avocado or seeds?
    i'd mostly think of foods that are easy to eat.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options

Could do that. Any recommendations on a good premade shake? Don't think I'd want to hassle making one myself.

Boost or Ensure might be good brands to try. Boost has a high-protein version that says it is gluten free. Not sure on the wheat or others, but it doesn't look like it based on the ingredients. https://www.boost.com/products/high-protein

• elphie754
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    if you have no appetite and are barely eating try high calorie items that will get you through the day without passing out...such as fast food or pizza etc.

and have at least some water or juice with you .

Put some protein bars etc in a bag for munching on when you think of it.

I can't eat fast food due to allergies. Haven't found a protein bar I like unfortunately. They all taste like chalk to me.

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    My mom gave me milk and crackers (eat it like cereal - crackers broken up with milk poured on top). It got me hungry for other foods. I'm not sure how that can be made to fit with your restrictions.

I'd say eat/drink whatever you can keep down. Drinking is probably better since you might be thirsty even without an appetite.

Sympathies/empathies for you. <3
  • elphie754
    Options
    cozytimes wrote: »
    homemade shakes or ice cream? maybe some higher calorie fats/foods, like avocado or seeds?
    i'd mostly think of foods that are easy to eat.

Usually I would love to eat ice cream, but even that doesn't sound that great. Could try though.

Boost or Ensure might be good brands to try. Boost has a high-protein version that says it is gluten free. Not sure on the wheat or others, but it doesn't look like it based on the ingredients. https://www.boost.com/products/high-protein

Thank you
  • elphie754
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    My mom gave me milk and crackers (eat it like cereal - crackers broken up with milk poured on top). It got me hungry for other foods. I'm not sure how that can be made to fit with your restrictions.

I'd say eat/drink whatever you can keep down. Drinking is probably better since you might be thirsty even without an appetite.

Sympathies/empathies for you. <3

I do have a brand of gf crackers that I like, so could try that.
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

I can't eat fast food due to allergies. Haven't found a protein bar I like unfortunately. They all taste like chalk to me.
    They do, don't they? My favorites are Lara Bar - not really a "protein" bar, and is somewhat high in sugar, but has some good fat and fiber. They're vegan and "natural": most have an ingredient base of cashews and dates.
    The brand "kind" makes some tasty bars and really good granola; most (if not all) of their products are gluten free
    For an actual protein bar i really like "GFB", stands for Gluten Free Bar. It is sticky, but not chalky.
    Also bananas and hard-boiled eggs are good, cheap, portable foods.
    If you really can't stomach the thought of chewing, it may be best to try and drink your calories as others have suggested. Try to remember to take a multivitamin and stay hydrated at least.
    Best of luck to you and your family.

• elphie754
    Options
    kmsoucy457 wrote: »

They do, don't they? My favorites are Lara Bar - not really a "protein" bar, and is somewhat high in sugar, but has some good fat and fiber. They're vegan and "natural": most have an ingredient base of cashews and dates.
    The brand "kind" makes some tasty bars and really good granola; most (if not all) of their products are gluten free
    For an actual protein bar i really like "GFB", stands for Gluten Free Bar. It is sticky, but not chalky.
    Also bananas and hard-boiled eggs are good, cheap, portable foods. Try to remember to take a multivitamin and stay hydrated at least.
    Best of luck to you and your family.

Yes they do. I know some people swear by questbars but to me they taste like a mix of cardboard and chalk. I've eaten larabars before and they aren't too bad (not the best either though). The problem o run into is I'm allergic to actual oat and many granola bars say "gluten free" but have gf oats in them.
  • fitzmonkey13
    fitzmonkey13 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    If the bars are a problem, could you eat the ingredients that you can eat? Dates, raisins, whatever dried fruit you can get your hands on? Handfuls of nuts? Their flavours tend to be mild so they are easier to eat when you have no appetite and they are calorie dense so you don't need a lot of them to get some sustenance. They're also relatively easy to shove into a baggie and carry with you all day and don't need to be refrigerated.

The hospital cafeteria probably also has hard-boiled eggs and yogurts you can buy, or even cartons of chocolate milk. Sometimes they even have packs of baby carrots and ranch dip. Overpriced as hell I'm sure, but whatever you can get into yourself.

All the best to you and your family during this tragic time.
  • Muscleflex79
    Options
    premier protein makes a good shake....and Oh Yeah makes some good protein bars - not like chalk at all!
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options

Yes they do. I know some people swear by questbars but to me they taste like a mix of cardboard and chalk. I've eaten larabars before and they aren't too bad (not the best either though). The problem o run into is I'm allergic to actual oat and many granola bars say "gluten free" but have gf oats in them.
    Oats, too? :( just FYI your original post has a typo "pats" instead of oats. GFBs do have oats; Kind bars don't (but obvs don't try their granola).
    Oh also peanut butter packets. I like Justin's, but there are a lot of good brands out there.
    Yea I've never met a quest bar i liked...great macros for those that can stomach them, though...

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Hugs hun you have been through so much. :(
  • elphie754
    edited April 2017
    Options
    kmsoucy457 wrote: »

Oats, too? :( just FYI your original post has a typo "pats" instead of oats. GFBs do have oats; Kind bars don't (but obvs don't try their granola).
    Oh also peanut butter packets. I like Justin's, but there are a lot of good brands out there.
    Yea I've never met a quest bar i liked...great macros for those that can stomach them, though...

Stupid autocorrect. It always changes oat to pat and car to cat. Kind of a funny story-my sister in law also has her phone change car to cat. One day she texts me "my cat died so I brought it in and got 200 dollars for it". I called her and was like uhhhhhh when did you get a cat and why did someone give you money for a dead cat?? She was so confused until reread the text and realize autocorrect changed car to cat. We still laugh about it to this day (not that a dead animal is funny but the text was ).
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I think the point is this...nothing is going to "do it for you" if you have no appetite...but you have to eat and if you aren't eating much then make sure it has high calories.

As for protein bars there are lots out on the market now that aren't protein bars...more like granola bars with a kick of extra stuff but not "protein" powder per say.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. My thoughts are with you.

When I'm stressed and lose my appetite, I find things like rice go down pretty easily (not sure if rice fits with your allergies). Sometimes I will add a simple peanut sauce (peanut butter mixed with some soy sauce). They sell ready-made rice bowls you can pop into the microwave, so this might work when you're away from home.