Healthy takeout pizzas

Options
What are some pizzas with reasonable amounts of calories? Either frozen or in pizza chain restaurants

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Both Domino's and Papa John's have calorie counters on their websites. You can "build" a pizza and see how your choices impact the overall calories. Generally speaking, a thin crust is going to be the best option for a lower calorie pizza. The website can let you see which toppings add a lot of calories and which options are more reasonable.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    DiGiorno thin crust cheese.....I add turkey pepperoni (70% less fat). Newman's Own thin crust is supposed to have decent numbers too....not tried that one yet.
  • alltimeburrit0
    alltimeburrit0 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Honestly, there isn't any. Even the low calorie pizzas have a large amount of calories for how little they fill you etc.

It's very easy to make your own pizza, and actually know what's going in it. It usually only takes me 10 minutes and I'm sure you could make a batch of them and freeze them for later dates ?
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Honestly, there isn't any. Even the low calorie pizzas have a large amount of calories for how little they fill you etc.

It's very easy to make your own pizza, and actually know what's going in it. It usually only takes me 10 minutes and I'm sure you could make a batch of them and freeze them for later dates ?

1/4 of a small Domino's thin crust pizza with cheese, mushrooms, green peppers, and roasted red peppers is 190 calories. So someone who was on pretty low calories could have 1/4 of a pizza with a big salad and still easily fit into their goals. Someone with a higher goal or who saved more calories for dinner could even have half the pizza.
  • TeaBea
    Options

My favorite pizza dough takes 90 minutes.......not something I can start on after work. I generally reserve homemade pizza for the weekend. Not everyone has a pizza stone or a place to store one.
  • alltimeburrit0
    alltimeburrit0 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

1/4 of a small Domino's thin crust pizza with cheese, mushrooms, green peppers, and roasted red peppers is 190 calories. So someone who was on pretty low calories could have 1/4 of a pizza with a big salad and still easily fit into their goals. Someone with a higher goal or who saved more calories for dinner could even have half the pizza.

I'm not sure about you, but I would prefer to have a larger more filling home made pizza over a quarter of a dominos pizza which is mostly grease.
    Home made pizzas can be just as nice if not nicer than dominos.
  • TeaBea
    Options

Yum!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I'm not sure about you, but I would prefer to have a larger more filling home made pizza over a quarter of a dominos pizza which is mostly grease.
    Home made pizzas can be just as nice if not nicer than dominos.

Why would a veggie pizza be mostly grease?

I make pizzas at home, I eat pizza at local Italian places, and I also order from Domino's for delivery or pick up Little Caesars some times when we are in a time crunch. Sometimes convenience is important.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    What are some pizzas with reasonable amounts of calories? Either frozen or in pizza chain restaurants

What's your definition of "reasonable amount of calories"? We have pizza about once a week - sometimes delivery from a chain, sometimes we make it at home. My typical dinners tend to be about 600-800 calories, which is like 3 pieces of pizza from a chain. I often have 2 pieces and a salad, but I also often save up some calories so that I can also have cheesy bread or a beer with my pizza.

If you are looking for pizzas with less total calories - then yes, certainly thin crust helps save on the calories. Chain delivery places will have nutrition calculators online, you can build yours and see what the impact is.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

What's your definition of "reasonable amount of calories"? We have pizza about once a week - sometimes delivery from a chain, sometimes we make it at home. My typical dinners tend to be about 600-800 calories, which is like 3 pieces of pizza from a chain. I often have 2 pieces and a salad, but I also often save up some calories so that I can also have cheesy bread or a beer with my pizza.

If you are looking for pizzas with less total calories - then yes, certainly thin crust helps save on the calories. Chain delivery places will have nutrition calculators online, you can build yours and see what the impact is.

Another option to cut calories is to request light cheese (or even no cheese).

*ducks to avoid all the feedback from cheese-lovers*
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I find my homemade pizza more calorie-dense than takeout pizza on thin crust, simply because I can never manage to get the crust as thin as they do! But both hold a special place in my heart :love:
  • jbunky1987
    jbunky1987 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I much more prefer home made pizza. This can give you much more calories.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

My favorite pizza dough takes 90 minutes.......not something I can start on after work. I generally reserve homemade pizza for the weekend. Not everyone has a pizza stone or a place to store one.

I just buy wholemeal pita bread and put toppings on that then place in a conventional oven. Healthier and less time consuming than making your own pizza dough.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

I can get a thin crust pizza from a local place and it'll have around 800 calories for the whole thing. I usually save calories so I can eat it all in one go, but 400 calories is absolutely doable.

OP -

My recommendation would be to look for a nutrition calculator on the company's website and explore a little! Play with the topping combinations until you find something you like. Chicken and garlic on a pizza is a great lower calorie combo.

~Lyssa
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    This is a great thin-crust recipe that can be risen if you've got time, but you can also skip the rise:
    http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-homemade-thin-crust-pizza-recipes-from-the-kitchn-45499

Here's a list of good ideas from various chains. Generally: thin crust, with veggies.
    http://www.eatthis.com/healthy-pizza-from-pizza-hut-california-pizza-kitchen-papa-johns-and-more

Frozen options:
    http://www.eatthis.com/best-frozen-pizza
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I love pizza, but I have a hard time fitting it into my calories, because I must eat ALL the pizza. One slice just doesn't cut it. We also have a challenge at home that my hubby and daughter are gluten free, so I typically will satisfy my pizza needs by using an Udi's GF crust and building my own. It's a 600+ calorie affair, but I make room for it a few times a month.

The other times I have been exposed to pizza, it was an "intentionally go over my calories day" because I have to eat all the pizza.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I like the Ristorante pizzas, and some of the PC Blue menu ones. range from about 800-1K for the entire pizza. I can either eat half of these or make my own pita pizza which has better macros but you have to make it lol
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    And dont forget that if you choose to make a crust with cauliflower or zucchini (saw that the other day), you can substantially lower the calorie count, but then the tradeoff is whether you really consider a cauliflower crust ANYTHING to be legit pizza.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    And dont forget that if you choose to make a crust with cauliflower or zucchini (saw that the other day), you can substantially lower the calorie count, but then the tradeoff is whether you really consider a cauliflower crust ANYTHING to be legit pizza.

:noway: :huh: