water water this myth unveiled

Options
glenbabe
glenbabe Posts: 303 Member
just feel i have to blow this water myth wide open it is a proven medical fact that there is no need for water to be consumed in order to be a healthy person. We do need liquids to be healthy but the form that liquid takes is unimportant.Obviously we cannot drink sugar loaded versions but other than that anything goes.Also it is important to ensure you remain hydrated But normally a healthy person would do this anyway[when thirsty we drink].Too much water is actually very bad for your health and excessive quantities can even kill you.This myth about water was actually created by bottled water companies to increase their sales.There was a television programme about it the other day but this is not my only source of information.Please feel free to research this as i know loads of you out there are making yourselves quite miserable by forcing yourselves to drink water.Its fine if you like it but also fine if you dont just wanted to get this message out there

Replies

• sykin
    sykin Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I didn't see this program you're talking about, but I had heard somewhere that there is no way to trace back to where 8 glasses of water is normal. Some doctor made it up. Which is why I don't feel bad when I can only drink 6 in a day.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    just feel i have to blow this water myth wide open it is a proven medical fact that there is no need for water to be consumed in order to be a healthy person. We do need liquids to be healthy but the form that liquid takes is unimportant.Obviously we cannot drink sugar loaded versions but other than that anything goes.Also it is important to ensure you remain hydrated But normally a healthy person would do this anyway[when thirsty we drink].Too much water is actually very bad for your health and excessive quantities can even kill you.This myth about water was actually created by bottled water companies to increase their sales.There was a television programme about it the other day but this is not my only source of information.Please feel free to research this as i know loads of you out there are making yourselves quite miserable by forcing yourselves to drink water.Its fine if you like it but also fine if you dont just wanted to get this message out there

Would be good if you quoted real research. But I have to say I agree with you overall with one caveat, and that is if you are supplementing with psyllium. Granted you don't HAVE to so water, but chugging 8-16 ounces of anything but water tends to be uncommon, and for psyllium you do need all that liquid.
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

Yeah, the 8 glasses thing is absolute and utter b.s. I don't know why people can't get it through their head....
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I actually log my zero calorie sugarfree drinks as water too. I don't always drink 8 glasses of "water", but I sure do feel better when I do. I cleans the toxins out of your body. It is the only pure, (if you drink it out of the ground of course) drink in the world.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I'm always interested when people want to bust myths. Can you point me to your peer reviewed journal articles that support what you are saying?

Of course, I agree with you, TOO MUCH water IS detrimental, but that's INSANE amounts that most people can't (and won't drink) even if they try.

As far as the bottled water companies starting the "myth" that we need to drink alot of water - I have yet to see that too. I drink lots of water - from my tap. I never buy bottled water because I don't feel it's a good value, but that's just my personal preference.

I have found for me personally, that drinking 12-14 eight ounce glasses of water in 24 hours has given me tremendous benefits.

Edited to add: I noticed that the Snopes article provided showed their "research" came from a couple of books and numerous newspaper articles. Awesome.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    yeah - I'm definitely in the drink when thirsty boat. I was told that too much water dilutes important nutrients in the body, and just the way I feel when i force myself to drink glass after glass of water just for the sake of it, tell me its wrong.

Everyone is different, :blushing:
  • Galathea
    Galathea Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    There are days when i drink 15 glasses of water. And it doesn't make me feel miserable at all. Actually i know that days with a high water amount are actually my best.
    But to each their own.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I don't even know what to say.
  • GypsyRose25
    GypsyRose25 Posts: 407
    Options
    That's not completely true. The amount of water needed daily depends on the specific person, When we sweat, we lose water. Same as when we lose other...uh...bodily fluids. Water consumption should, at the very least, make up for what was lost. It's true that way too much water can kill, but it is extraordinarily rare. The amount of water that would need to be consumed for that is extreme.

If you could link the research you read, I would appreciate it.
  • OregonCountryGirl
    Options
    My midwife has said that water helps flush out toxins in the body and that it helps with energy and helps you feel fuller so you don't over eat..... I love my water and actually feel like crap if I don't drink enough. I also get headaches when I don't drink enough. I believe that we are all made diferently so are bodies all need different things!!!!!!

Thank you for sharing!
  • Sparrow_Feet
    Sparrow_Feet Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I don't think we can say one way or the other without taking into consideration the rest of a person's intake (food and liquid). Everyone is different! For example, high caffeine lighids would be counter productive due to their diuretic effects. Additionally, someone eating a lot of water based foods like salads is very different to someone just living their life by consuming high salt, high fat, fast food. Most people, and I say that with caution, would not be nutritionally educated to know what water content is in different foods and therefore guiding people to drinking fresh, clean water is a good thing.
  • Inkedsquid
    Inkedsquid Posts: 42
    Options
    Sooooo glad this myth was finally debunked- we naturally get water through MANY sources (fruits, vegetables, etc) 8 more glasses in addition to that is unnecessary for most people, unless of course your body tells you so. :)
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    On the other hand, numerous studies have proven that dehydration, especially chronic dehydration, can have severe consequences to your metabolism and even your brain function. Whether you get your fluids through water, milk, juice, whatever, the fact remains that your body is made up of mostly water, so you really need to make sure you're not getting too little. Eight 8-oz servings really isn't that much over the course of a day; most restaurant-size glasses are 16 or 20 ounces, so 3 or 4 of those and you're good.
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Its not that drinking water is bad..... its more the myth that you somehow HAVE to drink 8 glasses of water a day to be healthy. Water is in everything you eat or drink... that should all count toward the magical 8 glasses of water mark if this were actually based on some sort of fact.

http://calorielab.com/news/2006/05/28/8-glasses-of-water-a-diet-urban-legend/

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2010/12/08/the-myth-behind-drinking-8-glasses-of-water-a-day/

I don't even know why people quote this stupid 8 glasses thing in the first place. To the person that wanted to see clinical studies as to how this myth is absolutely false.... just do a little digging... there are MANY MANY clinical studies on how weak this urban legend is.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Here is an article from the Mayo clinic on water needs: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
  • DropsOJupiter
    Options
    Excessive water drinking, polydipsia, is a disease in which the person is driven to over consume beverages and yes it is physically detrimental in depleting electrolytes.

http://www.bettermedicine.com/books/the-diagnostic-approach-to-symptoms-and-signs-in-pediatrics/polyuria-and-polydipsia

Depending on who you choose to listen to, depends on the amount of water/liquids you need to consume. I choose to do what is the best for me, i.e., I drink a gallon of water per day plus coffee, tea and milk. The reason I do is that FOR ME it has kept me less hungry and hydrated. I have not had any issues with lab work (done last month and everything WNL). So, as with most things, we have to determine and choose what is best for us to sustain a healthy lifestyle. I agree that no one should be miserable forcing water down and should do what works best for them. Thanks for the discussion and good luck all on your journey! :drinker:
  • kayp1
    kayp1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    That's really interesting cos I force myself to drink water, something I never do but keep trying for these 8 glasses a day!
  • glenbabe
    glenbabe Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    wikipedia enter drinking water
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    I'm always interested when people want to bust myths. Can you point me to your peer reviewed journal articles that support what you are saying?

Edited to add: I noticed that the Snopes article provided showed their "research" came from a couple of books and numerous newspaper articles. Awesome.

exactly this?! so much for research! give me a couple of double blind randomised controlled trials and then maybe i'll start paying attention.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    wikipedia enter drinking water

seriously? that is your source? oh dear ...