high protein and weight loss

Options
My doctor suggested me to reduce weight with high protein diet. I was reading about the same, and got to know that with more of protein intake and reducing carb helps in weight reduction. Also as per study results are excellent.
To know more about it you can search aktin diet or protein diet for weight reduction.
I hope i will also get good results. Starting that as suggested by doctor.

Replies

• canihazcarbs
    canihazcarbs Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I notice if i eat high protein foods I am fuller for longer than if i eat high carb foods of the same calorie amount. This might be why high protein diets work.
  • manders281
    manders281 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hmm Id love you to put your input in once you have been doing this for a while. Hopefully it works for you, I've never done it but im going to research it, it might be something to change in my diet.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    JJS1979 wrote: »
    They also work due to the Thermogenic effect. About 25-30% of the protein calories consumed will be burned off during the digestion process as opposed to 4-6% for carbs and 2-3% for fats.

TEF with protein is a bit overstated. For every 1g increase in consumption, it would results in about a 1 calorie increase in food digestion. It's biggest beneficial is that it's correlated to satiety which allows you to cut calories more and how it supports maintenance of metabolism (especially when combined with resistance training).
  • JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    They also work due to the Thermogenic effect. About 25-30% of the protein calories consumed will be burned off during the digestion process as opposed to 4-6% for carbs and 2-3% for fats.

TEF with protein is a bit overstated. For every 1g increase in consumption, it would results in about a 1 calorie increase in food digestion. It's biggest beneficial is that it's correlated to satiety which allows you to cut calories more and how it supports maintenance of metabolism (especially when combined with resistance training).

There might be some debate on the TEF numbers of protein but 100% helps with satiety and metabolism.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options

Not sure how that's overstating it. If someone eats 150g of protein a day vs. say 75g protein per day on a high carb diet, that's a thermogenic effect of nearly 8 pounds lost in a year for making no calorie sacrifices at all. That's pretty significant to me.
  • psuLemon
    edited April 2017
    Options

Not sure how that's overstating it. If someone eats 150g of protein a day vs. say 75g protein per day on a high carb diet, that's a thermogenic effect of nearly 8 pounds lost in a year for making no calorie sacrifices at all. That's pretty significant to me.

That would assume a standard linear relationship, which never happens in free living conditions. And I don't know many people who increase protein by 50%. Most increase 20-40g when they switch from calorie counting, to include counting macros.
  • cozytimes
    cozytimes Posts: 111 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    i'm more 'satisfied' and fuller when eating high protein foods, and a lot of high protein foods aren't calorie dense.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My doctor suggested me to reduce weight with high protein diet. I was reading about the same, and got to know that with more of protein intake and reducing carb helps in weight reduction. Also as per study results are excellent.
    To know more about it you can search aktin diet or protein diet for weight reduction.
    I hope i will also get good results. Starting that as suggested by doctor.

you get the results because you're in a calorie deficit.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    cozytimes wrote: »
    i'm more 'satisfied' and fuller when eating high protein foods, and a lot of high protein foods aren't calorie dense.

i find i need fat with my protein to keep me full.
  • cozytimes
    cozytimes Posts: 111 Member
    Options

ah, i guess everyone's different! i just gave my experience and personal preference :)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

I find lean proteins are best for satiety for me. Probably due to the volumes that I consume.
  • TPetey55
    TPetey55 Posts: 14 Member
    Options

This is the very essence of the low-carb, high-fat, moderate protein diet. I shoot for 5% of my calories to come from carbs (no more than 20g of net carbs a day, usually), 70% from fats and 25% from protein. It's an immensely satisfying diet - I feel satisfied at a much lower calorie consumption level as compared to my previous high-carb diet. If your aim is to burn fat instead of carbs while preserving muscle tissue, you need to limit carb intake (of course) and eat an adequate amount of protein. But adding too much protein to your diet (more than ~1g of protein per pound of lean body mass) can trigger an insulin response and stall your weight loss. I'm not a big guy, so I rarely consume more than 100g of protein a day.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    TPetey55 wrote: »

This is the very essence of the low-carb, high-fat, moderate protein diet. I shoot for 5% of my calories to come from carbs (no more than 20g of net carbs a day, usually), 70% from fats and 25% from protein. It's an immensely satisfying diet - I feel satisfied at a much lower calorie consumption level as compared to my previous high-carb diet. If your aim is to burn fat instead of carbs while preserving muscle tissue, you need to limit carb intake (of course) and eat an adequate amount of protein. But adding too much protein to your diet (more than ~1g of protein per pound of lean body mass) can trigger an insulin response and stall your weight loss. I'm not a big guy, so I rarely consume more than 100g of protein a day.

you dont need to limit carb intake to burn fat. you lose fat in a deficit no matter how you eat. as for protein triggering an insulin response and stalling weight loss,again no. weight loss stalls from time to time as weight fluctuates,it could be from water retention for many reasons. but eating too many calories also can cause a stall or even weight gain . healthy people have insulin spikes as well.if I had to limit my carbs I would have never lost weight as I cant do keto(due to the high fat).

keto is not a special way to lose weight,its just a way of eating that for some helps with health issues and cravings,its not for everyone and the fat you are burning is the fat you eat instead of carbs. as long as you are in a deficit you will lose fat and weight whatever way of eating you choose.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    TPetey55 wrote: »

The difference in substrate utilization (fat burning vs carb burning) is highly overblown by the keto community. Your body will always burn both, even if you don't eat carbs (since your body runs on glucose and can produce it's own glucose through glucenogenesis). And it honestly doesn't matter if fat oxidation is 55% or 45%, what matters is the net effect from energy balance.

And the bold is incorrect. Protein will always can an insulin response. It's not based on the total grams. But even so, insulin doesn't prevent lipolysis, it inhibits it. But even so, it won't stall your weight loss. In fact, during weight loss, protein is the most important macronutrient since it supports muscle retention and metabolism. Too little and you will increase the amount of muscle loss, resulting in reductions to metabolic rates.
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I lost a significant amount of weight by upping the amount of protein so from a personal perspective I think it works well
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Yellerie wrote: »
    I lost a significant amount of weight by upping the amount of protein so from a personal perspective I think it works well

You lost weight by adding calories?

Cool story.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

It's significant if there's some benefit to eating more (on paper) calories, but there's not.

I like eating about .8 g/lb of protein (of a healthy weight), which some might consider high (I do not). That I could eat more calories and maintain if I ate 80% protein or some such would not be useful or meaningful to me, as I'd be less likely to be satisfied on my diet and more likely to go over calories since I'd miss the foods the protein was crowding out.

I DO, again, totally agree that having a decent amount of protein helps a lot for satiety, if that's an issue, and IMO so does fiber.

For OP, I wouldn't consider high protein and Atkins the same, at all.