Replies

• ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    Talking about myths I came across this post in another forum about why someone isn't losing weight. One myth after another. Strange thing is that not a single person mentioned that this person is most likely consuming way more than she thinks because she isn't weighing her food but using measuring cups and spoons.

http://www.livestrong.com/conversations/comments/1401328-feeling-discouraged/

Holy crap, that's a bajillion bad suggestions!

Is that site always so derpy?

After that comment I had to go look...

I think I sprained something wincing and rolling my eyes... :astonished:

I am sure a LCHF diet with no fruit will fix that.

:lol:

It would fix the sprains... and cause me a wealth of other problems. :tongue:
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    mcraw75 wrote: »
    Ryokat wrote: »
    What about breakfast being the most important meal of the day? I hate that one, although it's been around a lot longer than just 2017.

Research has shown that children who eat breakfast have higher test scores than those that don't. It's the most important meal for the brain, but maybe not the body?

Children who don't eat breakfast usually live in poverty/very low income families and have a lot more going on than just not eating breakfast.

Anecdotally, I find that if don't eat breakfast (and similarly on fast days when I used to 5:2) my brain feels 'fuzzy' and unclear and it's difficult to concentrate.

I listed to an NPR radio show with a panel of brain experts who had no interest in weight loss, only brain function. They said the brain needs food, most beneficially carbs, first thing in the morning to function properly. If one skips breakfast, their brain is not functioning optimally. But only a small amount is needed - at minimum 60 to 80 calories. A banana, apple, or other small piece of fruit is perfect.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    What about breakfast being the most important meal of the day? I hate that one, although it's been around a lot longer than just 2017.

Research has shown that children who eat breakfast have higher test scores than those that don't. It's the most important meal for the brain, but maybe not the body?

Children who don't eat breakfast usually live in poverty/very low income families and have a lot more going on than just not eating breakfast.

Anecdotally, I find that if don't eat breakfast (and similarly on fast days when I used to 5:2) my brain feels 'fuzzy' and unclear and it's difficult to concentrate.

I listed to an NPR radio show with a panel of brain experts who had no interest in weight loss, only brain function. They said the brain needs food, most beneficially carbs, first thing in the morning to function properly. If one skips breakfast, their brain is not functioning optimally. But only a small amount is needed - at minimum 60 to 80 calories. A banana, apple, or other small piece of fruit is perfect.

Your brain is always going to get food though, even if you didn't eat anything. You'd be very dead if it didn't.
  • johnwhitent
    edited April 2017
    Options

Your brain is always going to get food though, even if you didn't eat anything. You'd be very dead if it didn't.

Given a choice between accepting your opinion or a panel of leading brain experts, I think I'm going with the experts. No offense intended. But notice they said food is needed early in the morning for optimal function - not survival.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Well, that isn't an opinion, it's application of the laws of physics. For your brain to function it needs energy, energy is gotten out of your body's fuel reserves in absence of food. How do you think people on low carb diets or people who fast have their brains still functioning fine even without carbs? The body creates it.
  • johnwhitent
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Well, that isn't an opinion, it's application of the laws of physics. For your brain to function it needs energy, energy is gotten out of your body's fuel reserves in absence of food. How do you think people on low carb diets or people who fast have their brains still functioning fine even without carbs? The body creates it.

This is apples and oranges. You are arguing that the brain can function without breakfast, I assume, since deprived of food indefinitely we die. I completely agree. But again, crucially, the panel of leading brain experts addressed optimal brain function, not the ability to function. And they stated that carbs are the ideal energy source, the source the brain finds easiest to convert to its use, but certainly not the only option. Neither I nor the experts said one must eat breakfast, or that it must be carbs. But the brain functions optimally when provided an energy source when in a fasted state, and carbs are the source the brain prefers. But clearly many people skip breakfast and many go low carb. It is not an argument of absolutes - it is a matter of how the brain functions optimally. I'm done here. If you want to tell renowned brain experts how wrong they are, go find some.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options

Will let's see, Honors Society Member, graduated fifth out of 268 (after intentionally slipping from second so I wouldn't have to give a speech at graduation), and a bunch of other things I won't mention without eating breakfast. I must be a regular Stephen Hawking if I eat an apple... /s
  • rollerjog
    rollerjog Posts: 154 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    nice
  • rollerjog
    rollerjog Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    here is a link with some good info http://www.simplyshredded.com/learn-the-facts.html
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

The sugar and milk in my coffee seems to be enough.

(I actually eat pretty high carb overall because I need to be low animal protein for health issues.)
  • MrsSeager
    MrsSeager Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    duddysdad wrote: »
    How about those people who eat keto or vegan and think calories don't matter? It always irks me when I see someone saying that.

There was someone here the other day arguing vehemently that as long as you eat "healthy" foods, you can eat as much as you want and your body will magically get to a healthy weight on its own. Then, another one was telling people that as long as they took their vitamins and drank at least two gallons of water a day, they would naturally burn double the calories without changing any other thing. These people were insisting their opinions were fact. Drove me nuts... :s

A friend of mine told me something similar a few months ago, told me to eat every two hours even if I wasn't hungry, take a "supplement cocktail" and drink two gallons of water a day. Tried it for a day and I thought I was going to explode!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    I have been told by one than 1 person that any calories eaten after 6pm have double the effect on you - like if you eat 100 calories of grapes after 6, it actually acts as 200 calories in the body... I just snickered and walked away.
  • cdkelly
    cdkelly Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I would not be able to do much beyond get up and walk to the kitchen without eating breakfast. I don't really care what science says...real life experience on the daily tells me breakfast is MY most important meal of the day. I pay attention to my body and it tells me everything I need to know. To me that's more valuable than any amount of book smarts on the subject : )
  • BurlzGettingFit
    BurlzGettingFit Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    cdkelly wrote: »
    I would not be able to do much beyond get up and walk to the kitchen without eating breakfast. I don't really care what science says...real life experience on the daily tells me breakfast is MY most important meal of the day. I pay attention to my body and it tells me everything I need to know. To me that's more valuable than any amount of book smarts on the subject : )

No one was trying to tell people they CAN'T eat breakfast. Simply, if you're not hungry in the morning, don't eat. If you are, eat. Whatever works for you but not everyone HAS to eat breakfast if they prefer not to do so.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Talking about myths I came across this post in another forum about why someone isn't losing weight. One myth after another. Strange thing is that not a single person mentioned that this person is most likely consuming way more than she thinks because she isn't weighing her food but using measuring cups and spoons.

http://www.livestrong.com/conversations/comments/1401328-feeling-discouraged/

Holy crap, that's a bajillion bad suggestions!

Is that site always so derpy?

Yes. And not just the forums.

• cdkelly
    cdkelly Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Which is why I said "MY" : ) I wasn't speaking about anyone else. Only me. And yes breakfast is MY most important meal of the day because I simply can't function without it. I think people should listen to their body more and other people's opinions less.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    on a triathlon forum yesterday - someone with a race coming up said that she was going to do several 1 day fasts to teach her body how to use fat for fuel...mind you she isn't do keto...she just thinks this will help her...