Diet pills

I know it's a big debate but is there any diet pill that actually work

Replies

• bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Weight loss is a lifetime journey. Even if something did work you would have to take it the rest of your life if you didn't learn to eat within your daily calories. Why subject yourself to it? I even know of at least 4 people that had their stomach stapled or slim band and are regaining the weight back. Not saying they shouldn't have done it but learning to change our ways so it becomes a lifetime habit is key
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    They don't work like people want them too. They are meant to "assist" with weight loss efforts (see pyramid above). Kind of the same when I see commercials for Bowflex systems and other exercise equipment. They would have you believe that all you have to do is use that machine and you'll be trim and fit with a 6-pack (and even a nice tan). When you actually receive the machine, it comes with a book covering a detailed diet, food/nutrition program that has to be followed to achieve advertised results LOL! Anyway... I know a few people that have had good results with Alli - legal - Orlistat. But again, those folks followed a decent diet and exercise plan too. Then there's always the placebo effect...
  • ejsilvi
    ejsilvi Posts: 205 Member
    If u like tea green tea it can help u got to drink it all day
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    There is one illegal pill that "works" but the risk of death is pretty high and the side effects are fairly horrific.

Just eat less and move more.

Pretty sure I know the yellow devil you're talking about. There's also [redacted] stack that works by upticking metabolic rate and downregulating hunger signals, but even on either of those you've still not learned anything other than taking pills works to drop weight.
  • Mandafaye80lbs
    Mandafaye80lbs Posts: 24 Member
    edited April 2017
    Sorry NO magic pills just cut calories and exercise .I also drink a ton of water now. I've learned the hard way with pills they can mess your body chemistry up. There's no easy way to lose weight. It takes hard work and dedication. Good luck on your journey
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Just a review of supplement regulation basically tells you that these do not work. If it worked it would be classified under Rx regulations.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Most make you feel jittery and sick to your stomach anyway. Waste of money in my opinion.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    I've been protesting diet pills since high school when I used my uneducated view of starvation mode to talk a friend out of using them. They've always sort of scared me.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    I've been protesting diet pills since high school when I used my uneducated view of starvation mode to talk a friend out of using them. They've always sort of scared me.

I've always just figured that the things the pills would have to get your body to do in order to actually be effective are such that they have to be inherently dangerous, y'know?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

I've always just figured that the things the pills would have to get your body to do in order to actually be effective are such that they have to be inherently dangerous, y'know?

Indeed, the unnamed one mentioned above for example works (as far as I understand), by "stealing" fatty acids from right under your cells noses as they want to burn them for energy and breaking them down themselves, turning the contained energy into heat instead of usable energy for your body. The problems are obvious, if you OD (which is easy), you die of overheating.
  • Emmey56
    Emmey56 Posts: 18 Member
    As most people said the over the counter ones do not work. I was given a prescription for diet pills after my daughter was born, I was stuck at my weight even with diet and exercise, she only let me take it for 3 months and I had to go in and have her monitor my heart rate and blood pressure before each new prescription. It worked very well during those 3 months, but you feel jittery and a bit angry the whole time, almost like you have a really short fuse. If I had known how it effected me I wouldn't have taken it as least not for the full 3 months.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    I suppose it depends what you mean by "work". Are there pills that make you lose weight. Not that I'm aware of. Are there pills that help control your appetite so it is easier for you to control the amount and type of food you eat? Yes. Some have deadly side effects. Some have minimal side effects.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member

Yeah, they just never seemed worth it.
  • jlynn1991
    jlynn1991 Posts: 50 Member
    Years ago, I took slimquick to add in my weight loss. It helped so much! I can eat less, eat right, and work out but the weight in my stomach is stubborn. Eventually after having my daughter I gained all the weight plus some. Slimquick now is not the same and it does not work. I assume because the orignial formula was probably dangerous in some way and had to be modified.