Coffee alternative.

Options
13»

Replies

• jasonpocorus
    jasonpocorus Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't give up your coffee. Change the way you prep it.

According to MFP, my morning cup of Joe is a massive 8 calories.

I like Folgers Classic medium roast. I use one heaping teaspoon of that zero calorie diabetic sugar substitute (my dad switched us years ago and now I prefer it) and that's it really. Two massive scoops of grounds for about 16 oz of water.

Coffee is my first priority every day. As soon as I finish swearing at my alarm clock, I make coffee.

It's the rest of my diet that's hard. Come home from the gym after work, and I hate cooking so, I'll open up a can of Campbell's or Progresso or Chunky and eat it straight outta the can.

And I live kiddie cereal like Fruit Loops and whatnot.

I digress

Point being, enjoy your coffee. Just modify it.
    My dad switched to skim milk because the price of liquid creamer has become obscene.
    Try 1/2 & 1/2
    Try it black with sweetener
    Look at the label on other brands to see if there's a diet version
    Reduce the amount of creamer.

I went from 2 heaping tablespoons down to 1 and eventually cut it out. Creamer is a luxury I don't need.

Anyway, that's my $0.02
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Stop drinking coffee flavoured cream.

Start drinking coffee with something else in it, like milk.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Black coffee has negligible calories.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    My physician said that there was no reason to give up coffee if I think I need the caffeine... I use flavored almond milk creamer (15 cal per tbsp) or skim milk and sugar-free Torani syrup.
  • cozytimes
    cozytimes Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    maybe coffee with cashew/plant based milk? i drink coffee with 100ml of cashew milk, which is 21 calories.
    other nice options can be tea, chia seeds, or sparkling water as it always wakes me up.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I used to drink coffee that was turned light brown by cream and sugar. I switched to splenda first, then from cream to vanilla soy milk, then slowly started reducing both. Now I take my coffee black with a little water (an americano) to cut the bitterness. I still drink iced coffee with some sweetener.

In terms of coffee alternatives, there are zero calorie energy drinks galore on the market. I take caffeine pills if I need to stay awake until 7 am sometimes. I also like the mio zero calorie water enhancers with caffeine added.

For hot beverages-- have you tried yerba mate tea? It's a type of tea, not a brand. It has a chocolately, coffee-like taste.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    MrsSeager wrote: »
    I've been on MFP for about 5 weeks, I've lost 6lbs and am happy with the progress. Before I started the journey, I was drinking about 4 cups of coffee a day. Now that I've adjusted my diet, I have a lot more energy and have brought my daily coffee consumption to one cup in the morning. I have my coffee with cream and a couple Splenda, totaling about 148 calories. Every once in a while if I'm up with my kids late at night I'll have a second coffee in the afternoon, coming in at like 90 calories. I want to kick my coffee consumption all together, freeing up those calories for maybe a little more food at dinner or an afternoon snack. My only problem is I feel like I need the caffeine first thing in the morning. Other than drinking it black, what are some other options I should try for a morning pick me up?

148 calories? How much cream are you putting in your coffee? Maybe just switch to 1/2 & 1/2...couple Tbsps is like 40 calories.
  • MrsSeager
    MrsSeager Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I've been on MFP for about 5 weeks, I've lost 6lbs and am happy with the progress. Before I started the journey, I was drinking about 4 cups of coffee a day. Now that I've adjusted my diet, I have a lot more energy and have brought my daily coffee consumption to one cup in the morning. I have my coffee with cream and a couple Splenda, totaling about 148 calories. Every once in a while if I'm up with my kids late at night I'll have a second coffee in the afternoon, coming in at like 90 calories. I want to kick my coffee consumption all together, freeing up those calories for maybe a little more food at dinner or an afternoon snack. My only problem is I feel like I need the caffeine first thing in the morning. Other than drinking it black, what are some other options I should try for a morning pick me up?

148 calories? How much cream are you putting in your coffee? Maybe just switch to 1/2 & 1/2...couple Tbsps is like 40 calories.

Two tablespoons (70 calories,) I generally use the Coffeemate Coconut creamer. I usually just eyeball the amount I put in, but measured last night and realized I overestimated the amount I actually use. Lots of great advice and alternatives, thanks!
  • MrsSeager
    MrsSeager Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »

Like I've said, I was overestimating the amount I was adding.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »

Like I've said, I was overestimating the amount I was adding.

I'm guessing no one is going to bother to read the whole thread at this point.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I use about an ounce of an Atkins French Vanilla protein shake instead of creamer. Super tasty and not all that calorie heavy.
  • EternalSnow627_
    EternalSnow627_ Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Tea is so much better then coffee. Green tea is the best tho and u don't need to add sweetener or sugar to it plain is best.
  • EternalSnow627_
    EternalSnow627_ Posts: 85 Member
    Options

Also spenda is just bad. Try equal instead

• LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I use about an ounce of an Atkins French Vanilla protein shake instead of creamer. Super tasty and not all that calorie heavy.

I like this idea.
  • halfninja2
    halfninja2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Maybe flavored water packets that include caffeine are also an option. Zero calorie and inexpensive. The ones I get at Walmart or Kroger cost about $2 for a box of 10. I'm sure they also have the liquid kind with caffeine, but they're a lot pricier. That's the best thing I can think of besides coffee.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,792 Member
    Options
    I use walmart brand original creamer, its only 15 calories a tbls, I drink 4-6 cups a day and it comes out to about 100 calories a day, totally worth it
  • RobertSlobodaUSA
    RobertSlobodaUSA Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    From personal experience, Green Tea or especially Ginseng is best for staying alert. Coffee has the best flavor, more like a dessert with soymilk, almond, milk, creamers, generally have some sugars which is what makes the coffee taste so good. There's some debate and also good evidence regarding the safety of chemically synthesized sweeteners - health, brain, digestive, and metabolic - side-effects. Zero calorie does not necessarily imply healthier.

Ginseng helps with all day mental alertness and for many there's no coffee-caffine jitters or coffee crash.

Most of us will miss the coffee-dosing along with the addictive additives-sweeteners-creamers - these are the serotonin-booster "food-like drugs" stimulating your brain, even the zero calorie, sugar-like synthesized chemical compounds ;)

wbur.org/hereandnow/2015/01/07/sugar-health-research

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-much-added-sugar-is-too-much/

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/effect-of-sucralose-splenda-on-the-microbiome/
  • yskaldir
    yskaldir Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Caffeine pills, they are super cheap