Healthy takeout pizzas

Options

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    A 'normal' slice of a large thin-crust Papa John's pizza with normal sauce, normal cheese, a meat and a vegetable topping is going to be about 250 calories. The problem is the other 7 slices in the box.

Meanwhile I make a pizza for one that has about 500 calories and is quite satisfactory to this one.
  • A_Rene86
    A_Rene86 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    DiGiorno thin crust cheese.....I add turkey pepperoni (70% less fat). Newman's Own thin crust is supposed to have decent numbers too....not tried that one yet.

I've had the Newman's Own thin crust with uncured pepperoni and it's actually very good for low-cal, frozen pizza. I'm a deep dish, meatlover's, dip your crust in ranch kinda gal (reformed, of course), so that's really saying something coming from me lol.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I go to a local pizzeria for mine...they do a "liteline" which is a thin crust and they cut back on the cheese and toppings...my wife and I usually split a small. We do pizza night on Friday and we're just in it for the enjoyment and to cut loose a little, not so much the "health"...we do the "healthy" all week long. We do order the liteline most of the time as that seems to be the better decision, but I bet it's still a gazillion calories and me no care...
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    See, I can't do that thin crust thing. I'm from Detroit, where thick, deep dish pizza rules. One corner slice of a Jet's pizza sports about 400 calories. I save up 800 calories over a week and I can have 2 corner pieces. That makes me happy!!
  • joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Most of the calories (at least its what i've found) are in the pizza crust especially if you order something like pan pizza. I tend to order thin crust which is a lot less bread. When i'm in the mood for pizza, i make sure i bank some calories during the day so i can eat pizza and not go over my calories.
  • A_Rene86
    edited April 2017
    Options
    See, I can't do that thin crust thing. I'm from Detroit, where thick, deep dish pizza rules. One corner slice of a Jet's pizza sports about 400 calories. I save up 800 calories over a week and I can have 2 corner pieces. That makes me happy!!

I never thought I could either, but thin crust pizza > no pizza.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    A_Rene86 wrote: »

You don't have to go without it - just make it work like I do! If I want pizza, I'm not going to settle for something that's just "ok" to me. That's like eating a plain hamburger from McDonald's when what you really want is a Big Mac. I bank 400 extra calories over the course of a week and go for the pizza I want!
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    If you have a Papa Murphey's get one of their Gourmet Delite thin crust pizzas. My favorites are the Chicken Thai (I add spinach and double the zucchini) and the Angus Steak and Roasted Garlic (add spinach here too). The Chicken Thai comes in at 200 cals/slice and the steak at 220. I really like then so it isn't a settling thing.
  • A_Rene86
    edited April 2017
    Options
    A_Rene86 wrote: »

You don't have to go without it - just make it work like I do! If I want pizza, I'm not going to settle for something that's just "ok" to me. That's like eating a plain hamburger from McDonald's when what you really want is a Big Mac. I bank 400 extra calories over the course of a week and go for the pizza I want!

Unfortunately the pizza I want is from a local place that averages about 400 a slice for the smallest size and frankly if I can't have ranch with the crust, I don't want it. So we're talking about 1,000 calories for just two slices, which is never enough. With only a 1,400 calorie budget, it just isn't worth it to me, unless I've planned to eat at maintenance for the day. Since that isn't something I do very often at all, I prefer to eat what I can easily fit in. To each their own though!

ETA: Also, my boyfriend has been working out of state for several months, which means I'm alone. So, either I throw away 3/4 of a perfectly good pizza, blow my calories out completely, or end up eating it 3 days in a row, which sends me right down that old slippery slope!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I like Amy's Pesto Pizza and Whole Foods Stracchino and Arugula for frozen, but most others won't (there's greens on them).

For a takeout chain, we usually get Grimaldi's version of a Margherita. The thin crust and moderate cheese keep the calories reasonable. I prefer their white pizza, but the others sharing with me are not fond of the garlic, so ...

But, I much prefer getting Cane Rosso's anything to all of the above. It isn't available outside of TX as far as I know.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    OP: As a New Yorker, I beg you, plan your calories to account for it and just go and have a decent slice. I see Irving TX has a couple of Italian pizza parlors...how bad could it be?? I recommend sausage, onion, mushroom, black olive and extra cheese. Fuhgeddaboudit!
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Thin crust IS > no pizza, but still a little :(. Try subbing feta for all of the cheese. Great flavor and the sauce and ingredients stand out more. You don't get the ooey gooey cheese strings, but that doesn't do anything for me.

I get regular crust Papa Murpheys chicken garlic with sub extra chicken and feta for the mozzarella and topping cheese (and leave the romano parmesan "herb and cheese blend"). Doesn't cost any extra, $10 for a large on Tuesdays.

Large slice 1/8: 270 cals, 8g fat, 34g carbs, 16g protein.
    I've seen "protein" bars with worse macros and the ranch and feta is SOOoo flavourful. Can easily fit in 3 pieces but I commonly have half a large or more depending on my workouts.

ETA: make the above a thin crust and
    140 cals, 5g fat, 16g carbs, 9g protein
    They must give you less toppings not just a thinner crust. No way nearly half the protein with a double dose of chicken was in the crust. Seems like a waste of money since the macro ratio doesn't change much. You just have to eat more.
  • lilawolf
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I go to a local pizzeria for mine...they do a "liteline" which is a thin crust and they cut back on the cheese and toppings...my wife and I usually split a small. We do pizza night on Friday and we're just in it for the enjoyment and to cut loose a little, not so much the "health"...we do the "healthy" all week long. We do order the liteline most of the time as that seems to be the better decision, but I bet it's still a gazillion calories and me no care...

so....less crust, less cheese, less toppings just means fewer bites of the same things for the same money.... why don't you just eat fewer slices of the real deal? As I showed above, the macros don't really adjust all that much.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Papa murphy's line of Delite thin crust pizzas! I like chicken bacon artichoke.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    lilawolf wrote: »

so....less crust, less cheese, less toppings just means fewer bites of the same things for the same money.... why don't you just eat fewer slices of the real deal? As I showed above, the macros don't really adjust all that much.

It doesn't cost the same (25% less)...but besides that, that's not how I roll with pizza...I'm going to eat half the pizza regardless. I also prefer thin crust pizzas in general...I'm not into the whole dough thing. They're regular crust is fine, but it does make you feel like you're just eating a big dough ball...not really my bag. And really, not sure how "lite"' it is...the biggest difference seems to be the crust...toppings are more than enough. I've been eating this since way before I got into losing weight or anything...like I've been going there for about 25-30 years.

Like i said, not too worried about it...and I really could give a frack about macros in general...not something I'm particularly obsessed with.

We usually get the "Greg's combo"...Pepperoni, canadian bacon, hot or mild green chile, mushrooms, red onions, minced garlic, mile sausage, red bell peppers, and artichokes. With the thin crust it's still a lot of food...it's like a mountain with the regular crust.
  • SiegfriedXXL
    SiegfriedXXL Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    What are some pizzas with reasonable amounts of calories? Either frozen or in pizza chain restaurants

What's your definition of "reasonable amount of calories"? We have pizza about once a week - sometimes delivery from a chain, sometimes we make it at home. My typical dinners tend to be about 600-800 calories, which is like 3 pieces of pizza from a chain. I often have 2 pieces and a salad, but I also often save up some calories so that I can also have cheesy bread or a beer with my pizza.

If you are looking for pizzas with less total calories - then yes, certainly thin crust helps save on the calories. Chain delivery places will have nutrition calculators online, you can build yours and see what the impact is.

Another option to cut calories is to request light cheese (or even no cheese).

*ducks to avoid all the feedback from cheese-lovers*

Blasphemy!! :D
  • lilawolf
    Options
    lilawolf wrote: »

It doesn't cost the same (25% less)...but besides that, that's not how I roll with pizza...I'm going to eat half the pizza regardless. I also prefer thin crust pizzas in general...I'm not into the whole dough thing. They're regular crust is fine, but it does make you feel like you're just eating a big dough ball...not really my bag. And really, not sure how "lite"' it is...the biggest difference seems to be the crust...toppings are more than enough. I've been eating this since way before I got into losing weight or anything...like I've been going there for about 25-30 years.

Like i said, not too worried about it...and I really could give a frack about macros in general...not something I'm particularly obsessed with.

We usually get the "Greg's combo"...Pepperoni, canadian bacon, hot or mild green chile, mushrooms, red onions, minced garlic, mile sausage, red bell peppers, and artichokes. With the thin crust it's still a lot of food...it's like a mountain with the regular crust.

Well thats certainly fine if thats what you like. I also find it interesting that you (and several other people on the thread) are talking about number of slices/half the pizza rather than a volume. I think a lot of people go for thin crust because its "better" or "lower calorie" even if they don't like it as much but if you need say 500g of pizza to be satisfied, thin crust doesn't save you much nutritionally or calorically. I would eat 3/4 of a large pizza instead of half and not enjoy it as much... If, however, you just want half a pizza no matter the actual volume consumed, its better. Not sure how that actually works though. Is it like the magic of using a smaller plate and tricking your mind into feeling full faster?
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I like to go to MOD pizza and I can usually find a whole pizza I can eat myself that's 1000 calories or less
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky i prefer thin crust. I love newmans roasted vegetable pizza. I have half with a salad for dinner and usually the rest for lunch the next day. If we go to pizza hut i get the thin crust with grilled chicken, tomato spinach and the garlic parmesan sauce. takes me 3 meals to eat a medium. . but sooo worth it. We have to drive an hour to get to a dominos or papa johns so don't really go to them. We have a local place here run by a lovely greek family. I have no idea how many calories but sometimes you just gotta. They also make the best baklava. I am way to lazy to make my own.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    On pizza eve,I just cut back a bit during the day,walk a bit more & enjoy my portion of a thin crust with sausage,mushrooms,green peppers & ripe olives.Just plain carry out pizza....so yummy...it 's to be savored & enjoyed.